Author Topic: Motor dies  (Read 13746 times)

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Motor dies
« on: March 21, 2008, 04:56:45 PM »
  Whats the right thing to do? You loose power going in or out of the inlet. Jump ship, drop anchor ? I guess if you are in no danger of drifting into something just call for help. But what if you are drifting into rocks or whatever?

Might seem like a strange question but some input here could save someone butt.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
Re: Motor dies
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 05:24:08 PM »
Drop anchor.

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 05:25:52 PM »
take your boaters safety course TT^DOPE YOU ANCHOR AS SOON AS YOU CAN GET OUT OF THE LINE OF FIRE slt
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 05:53:52 PM »
I agree with the drop anchor.  Very first thing to do, then try to figure out what the problem is with the motor and call for a tow. 
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 06:58:21 PM »
similar situation happened to me years ago on a friends boat.on the way around the hook and just out of the rip the motor died,me with some mechanical experience had cover off engine a 4 cyl. grey marine inboard and checking and not paying attention my friend without telling me is putting on life jacket because we were drifting into breakers,yelled for him to throw out the anchor which he did but had us anchored off the stern.we were able to flag down help and the coast guard gave us a tow in.this was back in the early 70's.at least we got anchored before we hit the breakers.
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 07:06:33 PM »
always drop anchor, call for help and give your gps number of your location
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 08:58:39 PM »
I agree! drop Anchor first!  Then analayze the situation. The rest has been said already. chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 09:10:28 PM »
Drop anchor first, payout more line then you need try for better then a 7:1 scope, you want your anchor to stick. You do not want your anchor to pop free until you are able to get underway safely. Also in the inlet adjust the line in sync with the waves, you can payout until the boat rises and falls with more finesse. The longer the scope if conditions permit without creating a navigation problem for other boaters the better off you are.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 11:31:45 PM »
Good hypothetical question lets keep it going.

What if you are motoring against the current in a river and you have to go under a bridge that has a narrow span between the abutments.  You make your approach and notice that there is a Yahoo coming full boar the other way trying to beat you through the opening what should you do?

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 11:47:10 PM »
Going against the current you have the best stearage, if you have time swing off cut the thrustdown and the current will carry you back and to the side....if commited to the bridge zone try to go as close to starboard as possble without any danger.........

Oh yeah, quickley grab a couple 10 oz pieces of lead to let fly.........worth the loss TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 11:58:22 PM »
Thanks Capt. Bob,

If anyone has any more hypothetical situations please post them as boating season is about to start why not give us somethings that you saw over the years or just last year that we can either discuss or correct.

Remember this is a discussion.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 12:33:02 AM »
Saw a similar event this past summer....a sailboat was coming up to the Highlands Bridge going with the current which was ripping. The sailboat was under power but lost the transmission......there were two on the boat an elderly gentleman and a young boy 10-12....

The sailboats mast hit the bridge, she hung there for a moment and then worked free and the sailboat was now coming down the channel sideways.......it was pretty much a high traffic time and al the boats were buzzing around him yelling.....the man on the sailboat froze  and the young boy was screaming......

Fortunately a boat pulled up to them and threw the boy a rope, this stopped their drift and straightened the boat out.....how ever the elderly gentleman was still froze and had the helm had over so the boat could not be towed without major problems......another small boat pulled up and a man jumped onto the sailboat, taking the helm from the sailboater......they were then towed to a nearby dock and sea tow called.......

Happy to say boy and everybody else were OK, and especiaaly due to the two boaters who recognised the distress and piched in and not the 10 or so others who just rode by yelling.

Cannot stress enough that we aare in it together on the water, just slow down and stop for a moment to see if your fellow boater needs help, I'm sure that one day if you need help you will be repaid.  As they said "Pay it Forward"

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 12:53:22 AM »
Great advise... t^

This happened a number of years ago in Barnegat Bay when I had my boat.  It was a 19' Winner.

It was just getting dark and I had the family on board to do some leisurely cruising on the bay and up the Toms River. 

We were heading north and in the channel north of the Rt. 37 bridges, off to my port side I noticed a light flashing on and off and it did not stop.  I knew that was a shallow area and upon further investigation realized it was a sail boat that did not follow the channel and got stuck up in the flats about a good 100 yards in.

I circled slowly to figure how to help.  At first I tried to pull him straight out stern first in other words just reverse of the way he went in.  No luck he was too far in.  He kept blinking his mast head light and recruited another boater that was able to make his way out to us.

We tried to rock him loose with the two boats pulling in the same direction but that did not work either.

This guy was really stuck.  I asked if it was possible to loosen one if the mast stays, attach a line to it and one of us would have to keel him over just enough to get his keel loose while the other boat pulled him free.

It was a slow process but it worked.  We made sure all had their pfd on at all times.  You never know what could happen.

This process took over an hour to free the boat but it was a big sigh of relief to be able to see everyone safe and continue on our way.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 08:15:54 AM »
Ok I have a question.
You are out fishing, drifting in the bay. The bite is on, fish on every cast. You see a guy with engine trouble. He did throw the anchor no danger. What do you do, tell him pull anchor and tow he in now or stay here and I will tow you in when I am done fishing?
I would tow in now, weather can change quick or other things can happen. I can go back out and fish or call it a day. There is always another day to fish.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 08:43:17 AM »
Stay with the person until tow boat come, make sure he is safe, don't tow him in yourself for liabilitie reasons... UNLESS ITS A BOAT FULL OF WOMEN IN BIKINIS, then make an acception..
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 11:56:12 AM by Luna Sea 3 »
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »
I didn’t think about the liabilities and I should, my wife works for a lawyer and he is always on my case for doing deals on a handshake.
A BOAT FULL OF WOMEN IN BIKINIS, I’m getting on board!
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline brickken

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 12:20:02 PM »
Last year twice I stopped to tow people in the Barnegat Bay. The first time was right in front of the Toms River Bridge. The engine had died and the boat was partially blocking the channel under the bridge. I stopped and told them I would assist them to pull them away from the bridge. They didn't have an anchor, a VHF, a cell phone or anything else. They were out on a sea trial. They asked that I bring them to their father in laws dock about 1 mile away. The water was very low and I explained I might not be able to get there. One guy sat on the bow of the boat and the other in the cockpit. I had to explained to them I needed them to steer the boat as I was towing it as they just sat there. They seemed very aggravated and not very appreciative. Sure enough I couldn't gt them to their dock so I had to swing them off and aim them at a dock down the way from them. Again they were aggravated with me for not taking them home like I was Sea Tow... Made sure they reached a dock and left swearing not to do that again.

Another time we were running towards Windward Beach in Brick to see fireworks. As we were going there dusk was falling fast. As we passed this small bow rider way off to the side I got the impression they were in trouble. At first I didn't slow down as I had about 10 people on board. I thought better of it and swung around to see if they were in trouble. As I said it was getting dark fast, the bay had a nice 2 foot chop and I saw about 8 kids in life jackets on board. As I pulled up I saw the boat was just drifting and getting killed by the boats wake. They had been stuck for abut an hour and the adult was getting ready to swim and pull the boat as he had no lights and was afraid he was going to get hit. He had no cell phone, no radio, no rope to get towed, but at least all the kids had life jackets and on.

We towed him back o his dock and as we rounded the corner another boat passed us and came to a dead stop. Friends had finally gotten nervous and were out looking for them. His engine problem was due to a lack of gas... They were very grateful and I was glad I ignored the first tow situation and turned around to assist. As was said, pay it forward you never know when you will need the assistance, and you'll feel pretty good when it goes right. Being an insurance agent I have plenty of limits so I wasn't concerned there..
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 12:20:06 PM »
I spend alot of time at my ramp and even w/ a saftey course some people dont belong on the water
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 12:43:00 PM by Capt. Mike »

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »
I just felt the reply was directed at the topic starter.  be it the reply true or false.  It almost came off as a reply I see on other boards which makes new members afraid to post questions.

Offline Capt. Mike

• Super Hero Member
    • Reel Time Sport Fishing
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 12:39:44 PM »
This is a very important topic! No such thing as stupid questions, just stupid answers!!!
If we were born a 100% genius we would not be here. So ask awa,y your life or some one else’s could depend on the knowledge you gain here. There will be zero tolerance for wise cracks or ignorant know it alls!!!

Capt. Mike

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-