Author Topic: Spring Stripers  (Read 33098 times)

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
Re: Spring Stripers
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 07:06:05 PM »
I am hearing good things from maryland. My guess is 2 weeks and we will be seeing the migration. TT^ But it all depends on the weather. bngh
Keith
Franklin, N.J.
Proud member of the I.B.E.W. local 827

MAKO 250wa twin 150 E-tecs
  Happily fishing out of Atlantic Highlands Municiple Marina.

Offline Capt. Joe G

• Sponsor
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »
my log books show the fish arrive after the full moon at the end of the month.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 11:04:59 PM »
Just an FYI the full moon this month will be around Sunday the 20 and Monday the 21'st.

I would start about 5 days before and 5 days after should be a good window.

Can't wait.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline HK27

• The Young Salty
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 10:05:31 PM »
I can't wait for this spring season!  How early are ya'll going to start going?
Shimano For Life!

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 10:19:10 PM »
I will start fishing the first week of april in the bay or after the ice melts away.... by late April fishing is red hot....This is bay fishing for me.....
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 09:28:05 AM »
I dare not make a call in my "rookieness", but I must say I am pickin up alot of huge tips on this thread! Thanks everyone!  TT^
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline brian81382

• Full Member of the Den
    • Reel Pleasure
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 07:50:29 PM »
I usually don't do too much spring striped bass fishing.  When should I start and where?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 11:42:47 PM »
Hi Brian,

Believe it or not stripers are being caught right now.  There are some spots in the bays that are warming up nicely.  The fish you catch now are hold overs and are small but at this point I don't really care it is still catching.

The bait of choice is the lowly worm, sand or blood which ever you can get, if not use small salted clam pieces they will work only not as good.  I would try the shallows first in the early morning or just before dark.  My favorite right now would be just before sundown only because it is a little warmer and the water has had a chance to get a little warmer.

You will hear all sorts of information but there are spots in Barnegat bay that is in the mid 40's to high 40's already.  And yes then there are spots in the upper 30's as well.

If you can find the warm spots you will catch fish.  but it will be hard and you will have to work for them.

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline brian81382

• Full Member of the Den
    • Reel Pleasure
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 12:35:51 PM »
Hello, Paul,

Thanks for the info. I have the boat put in the water in about 2 weeks and I can't wait to do some fishing!

Brian

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 05:48:35 PM »
early may to late june....
romer shoal and knoll on the clam and bunker chunks gets some nice fish.....clambeds off the hook and highlands bridge(oceanside) or shrewsbury rocks with the live bunkers for the big boys!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 05:51:13 PM by Capt. Carl »
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Greg7

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 02:26:40 AM »
Any action with the bass in the canal yet? I want to go out there tomorrow morning.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 08:35:56 AM »
The only action I have heard of was up by the mouth of the canal on the bay side all shorts though, but I guess it is still catching.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ADW

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 08:15:51 PM »
Hi all,

Just joined and hopeing I can get some help.  I want to go trolling for stripers this May.  I'm going to try out the trolling set up that was shown on the NJ Angler site.  It calls for two of the 5 lines to be clipped to the rear of the boat.  My question is, I have the stern loops that I could tie to but I don't know how the "clips" work.  What kind do I get, how do they attach and, most of all, if I attach them to the stern, that means I have to climb over the transom and kneel down to connect them.  Is that right?  Any suggestions on where I can get good info?

Thanks,
Alex

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2009, 01:20:39 AM »
Welcome ADW, I am sure you will have plenty of help here. look forward to hearing how you make out.
 slt
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2009, 08:53:25 AM »
ADW, first, welcome to the site.

Now, to answer your question.
Go to your favorite tackle supply store and tell them you want some flat line clips. Once you have them in hand go to your boat and install line onto the eyes on the transom of your boat. Make the lines long enough so you can grab them and work with them inside of the boat. Install the flat line clips onto these lines.

To use the clips, put your fishing line over the side and pay out line to where you want your lure/bait to be. Once you have the proper distance set on your fishing line, grab the line and clip it into your flat line clip.

If you do not have a set already, it would be wise to invest in a set of side riggers. There are nothing more than pole holders that slide into your gunnel mounted pole holders. They point out to the side and will give you a larger spread. It will give a larger trolling spread and help avoid tangles with 4-5 lines out the back.

Good luck.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ADW

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2009, 09:47:53 AM »
Wow!  Its great to get such a quick response!  Thanks for the help Captain Joe!  I'm out to get the clips. I definitely want the side riggers and have been looking but a little put off by the prices I'm seeing.  The best Ive seen is about $100 each.  Unless I find some much cheaper, they'll have to wait till next year.  I've blown this year's boat budget already!  Besides, I want to see how I do this season before laying out some more.

I'm assuming the line to hold the flat line clips should be some heavy weight leader?

Thanks!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2009, 10:55:52 AM »
Heavy leader material would work. You just want something that will hold the clips for you so you do not have to lean over the transom to hook up your fishing line.

The line from your rod will snap off of the clip when you get a fish on, you will not have the pressure of the fish on the line holding the clip.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline topwater

• Full Member of the Den
  • do it right or do it twice...
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 01:49:04 PM »
I know this thread was from last spring, but i am new to striper fishing and was wondering if anyone had any places where i could get started this spring. Its only mid January and I am going stir crazy! I have been reading books by Frank Diagnault and DJ Muller and Zino Hromin (all great books by the way) trying to absorb as much info as possible.

I live near IBSP but work in Monmouth county right down the road from the Navasink River. It was mentioned in this thread about the "Sod Banks" and I was wondering if they are accessable by foot since I dont own a boat or 4x4. Also if there are any areas around Toms River also.

lol, sorry, the questions keep flowing, what about tackle used in these areas as well?

I know its been awhile since anyone has posted on this thread, but I am totally obsessed with fishing, the serenity that comes with a day by the water, and since i caught 3 shorts in an hour last fall,,, catching a keeper striper is all I think about!!!

Thanks for any information! you guys dont know how much you help people like myself!
;D thats what she said ;D

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2010, 02:05:07 PM »
 clp t^

You can drive into IBSP and walk to the beach to Fish.  t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2010, 02:36:49 PM »
Where about do you live?  I am in Toms River and my stomping ground is IBSP.

If you know anything about the park there are some great places on the bay side to fish the shallow waters.  I kayak back there or some may call it walking because it is so shallow in most parts, don't ask how I know.  rofla grtn

But, yes the sedge islands are great for stripers.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-