Author Topic: Gauge Problems  (Read 7196 times)

Offline sea nymph

Gauge Problems
« on: April 09, 2008, 07:24:44 PM »
Ran the boat yesterday and both the Trim Meter and Tachometer weren't working.  Checked the wires and connections and all seemed to be OK.  When the motor is powered, both needles on the gauges swing up 5hrug. (rpm's over 7000 and trim all the way up)  Any suggestions?

BTW - nice job on opening this forum!!!

Offline sealife

Re: Gauge Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 07:40:55 PM »
The last time I had a tach quit the voltage regulator had taken a dump.  I would check the output from the charging system since many tachs count the impluses coming from there.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 08:52:05 PM »
 whs

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 09:06:46 PM »
Also check you ground (negative) wires if they have any. Make sure your Battery connectors are tight. ;)
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline sea nymph

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 10:32:05 PM »
Thanks for the input!  The ground and battery connectors checked out ok, I'll check the output from the charging system next.
Thanks again!

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 10:39:09 PM »
at the moment, thats the only problem I haven't had yet...
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 09:44:49 AM »
Also check you ground (negative) wires if they have any. Make sure your Battery connectors are tight. ;)

It's usually grounding related if you see sudden swings of the gage at all. In my experience sometimes the ground looks good but maybe notsogood. If easy run a temporary new ground direct to confirm. Could be a ground in a location that may not be intuitive. Sometimes things are "grounded" but not to each other. Maybe the battery ground itself.
I don't think I should use the word ground any more in this reply.

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 12:19:27 PM »
My trim Gauge quit working 2 years ago, last year it starting working fine, then quit again. I know I have a loose wire SOMEWHERE, just a matter of finding it. 5hrug
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 12:21:04 PM by Pops Soul »
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »
My trim Gauge quit working 2 years ago, last year it starting working fine, then quit again. I know I have a loose wire SOMEWHERE, just a matter of finding it. 5hrug

From what I have reseached this a pretty common problem. Mine doesnt work either but I know what the problem is. On the mount. Stationary part. Piece of plastic that engages the trim sensor is broken. Without out it trim sensor stays in 1 spot.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
Saltwater and electrical connections don't mix well. Take the extra step to tape or liquid tape or silicon over all exposed electrical connectors. Heat Shrink is great too, just remember to put it on before the connection is made with a stake-on connector.  bngh I know you have all done that! Also try to keep all your wires that are in the bilge as high as possible and use marine grade wire. It cost more but lasts a long time. I just spent $150 bucks on marine wire. And I had the the same non-marine, household wire in my garage. I Just don't want to do the the same wiring job again in a couple of years.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 01:56:14 PM »
Saltwater and electrical connections don't mix well. Take the extra step to tape or liquid tape or silicon over all exposed electrical connectors. Heat Shrink is great too, just remember to put it on before the connection is made with a stake-on connector.  bngh I know you have all done that! Also try to keep all your wires that are in the bilge as high as possible and use marine grade wire. It cost more but lasts a long time. I just spent $150 bucks on marine wire. And I had the the same non-marine, household wire in my garage. I Just don't want to do the the same wiring job again in a couple of years.

What is the difference between the 2 wires, I'm guessing it would be in the insulation. I know I have seen marine grade shrink tubing also, I figured it was just a gimmick to get a couple of more bucks for it adding the word "Marine" to the package. 5hrug

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 02:21:36 PM »
sometimes a different stranding of the copper (less paths for salt to get in) or different insulation (harder for salt to get in) or sometimes NOTHING different but the price.

"what he said" to hunter2's suggestions keep the salt away at (almost) any cost

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 02:31:43 PM »
The difference is the marine grade wires is "tinned" copper instead of regualrold copper.
The "tinning" helps prevent oxidation and corrosion I believe.

It isn'y just price, their is a difference between regular wire and tinned wire as far as longevity in salt water environments.

Offline mchizhik

• Sponsor
    • Baitbagz.com
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 05:09:33 PM »
WESTMARINE
$45
new tach.
problem solved. Easy to change too.
Throw some money at it, and it usually gets better.

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 06:24:40 PM »
Marine grade wire also has more strands than regular wire reducing the resistance of the wire. There is an ebay store selling wire relatively cheap. (greg17474) Just bought 100' of 6 awg for .99 cents a foot. boaters world wanted 3.50 a foot. and the wire meets marine specs.
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »
Is that gonna be your new anchor line Vinnie?  ;D That's a lot of wire!
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 06:31:39 PM »
wiring for the new windlass have to go from port,stern of the boat around to starboard up to cockpit back out and up starboard side to the bow. positve and negative 50' each.
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 07:33:41 AM »
Marine grade wire also has more strands than regular wire reducing the resistance of the wire. There is an ebay store selling wire relatively cheap. (greg17474) Just bought 100' of 6 awg for .99 cents a foot. boaters world wanted 3.50 a foot. and the wire meets marine specs.

Thats a great price!  Good luck with the installation t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 08:09:30 AM »
wiring for the new windlass have to go from port,stern of the boat around to starboard up to cockpit back out and up starboard side to the bow. positve and negative 50' each.
Hey Joe aren't you thinking of putting a windless on your boat ??? After Vinnie is done practicing on his boat sounds like he is going to be the man to see TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 08:12:37 AM »
I'd love for that to happen. I'm tired of trying to run the boat and yank the anchors. I gotta get me a younger crew.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-