Author Topic: Water in gas tank. Help.  (Read 5701 times)

Offline mchizhik

• Sponsor
    • Baitbagz.com
Water in gas tank. Help.
« on: April 11, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »
Left the gas cap off after refueling, and yes I know I'm an idiot. Help. I only can think of taking off the sender for the gas gague, and siphoning out the bottom of the tank. (as the water should be on the bottom.)
 Is there an easier way? chemical additive??

Any input would help. and yes I know.....
Thanks all.

5hrug bngh 5hrug

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Water in gas tank. Help.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 10:27:03 PM »
my opinion, put in an additive..  run the boat but empty your water separator every 10 minutes or so.  The separator is made to catch the water that is in the gas, so....  let it do its job.... so since you have alot of water in the tank, just empty the separator as often as possible until you think all the water is out.  After a while, take the gas/water in your separator and dump it in a clear container and let is sit for a while.  If there is water in the gas, you will be able to see it separate, clear as day. 
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 10:27:40 PM »
If you have a lot of water there isn't any chemical to help you. the best you can do is physically remove the water to the best of your ability and then add dry gas to remove what you can't get at. Dry gas won't work for large amounts.
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline mchizhik

• Sponsor
    • Baitbagz.com
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 10:34:57 PM »
I have a faulty gas gauge, which i think is the sender, so it has to come out anyway. As long as I drain it while it is out, and add the dry gas, and drain the fuel filter, it there anything that i probably have damaged, or sould everything be ok. The motor is a 89 4.3 merc raw water cooled. Thanks for all your help.  chrz

Offline SouthPaw

• There's more to it than catching
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 10:41:54 PM »
Being a four stroke engine you have a lot less risk than with a two stroke. After draining and the dry gas you may have some sputtering but no long term damage.
A good day of fishing is better than a bad day of fishing. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. That means work sucks!

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 10:52:35 PM »
did you run it with the water in the gas

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline mckee17

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 11:23:03 PM »
THERE ARE TWO PRODUCTS WHICH SHOULD HELP.  MDR E-ZORB EMULSIFIES THE WATER INTO THE GAS WHICH THEN BURNS THRU THE ENGINE.  STAR TRON ENZYME TREATMENT IS ALSO RECOMMENDED.  I WOULD USE BOTH AND DOUBLE THE RECOMMENDED DOSE.  I HAVE BEEN USING THE STUFF IN MY BOAT FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS, ON ACCOUNT OF THE E10 GAS AND THE POSSIBILITY OF WATER SEPARATION.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 07:50:08 AM »
Just to analyze this.
You refueled and left the cap off...did you FILL the tank?
If so, how much did you use?
How did the water get into the tank? Rain water? Water you shipped over the side when you were running? Condensation?
Perhaps there is not a lot of water in the tank and an additive would work.

If there is a lot of water in the tank and you need to replace the sending unit anyway. Let the boat sit for a few days, the water will settle to the bottom. Remove the sending unit, place the hose from a siphon on the bottom of the tank and start the flow. When you see a change in color/density you may then be to a point where you have mostly pure fuel. The rest of the water that is still mixed with the fuel can be run thru the motor with an additive.

Does this make sense to any of your mechanics out there?  5hrug
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »
Just to analyze this.
How did the water get into the tank? Rain water? Water you shipped over the side when you were running? Condensation?

If there is a lot of water in the tank and you need to replace the sending unit anyway. Let the boat sit for a few days, the water will settle to the bottom. Remove the sending unit, place the hose from a siphon on the bottom of the tank and start the flow. When you see a change in color/density you may then be to a point where you have mostly pure fuel. The rest of the water that is still mixed with the fuel can be run thru the motor with an additive.

That makes a whole lot of sense Joe  t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 08:56:21 AM »
Just to analyze this.

im no mechanic, but it make alot of sense.  depends on the amount of water.  water and fuel will separate when sitting.. syphon the tank from the bottom... should remove all the water, plus some fuel..

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 04:47:21 PM »
The fuel pickup tube should not go the the VERY bottom of the tank for just that reason- invariably there is a small amount of water that will sink to the bottom (actually it is the gas that floats to the top.)

If the sender is comng out anyways try the siphon trick-- you may do better with a small diameter hose like 1/4" or 3/8" ID nylon pneumatic tubing. It will take longer but you will be able to just get right from the very bottom and if its clear tubing you may not get a mouthful of gas  bngh

Offline wingshooter

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 06:17:22 AM »
syphon the gas from the bottom, save it and use it for your lawnmower,,,then run it and keep emptying the separator,,,,,engine will sputter and run rough but will eventually run good once youre water free,,,,

dont forget to change the spark plugs when youre back to good gas only

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 09:27:02 AM »
I agree with the the idea of siphoning from the bottom, and then using an additive.. I will offer one more suggestion as learned from experience.. Have a buddy in another boat handy if possible the first time out.. The motor may seem to run smooth while hooked to the hose, but when a load is applied when in gear and pushing the boat, you may find it then begins to choke and die. You could also run fine until the seperator becomes saturated, then begin to falter.. As Luna said, you could drain it, but it may take a while to re-start it afterwards..so maybe a good idea to have a spare battery on hand..

Offline mchizhik

• Sponsor
    • Baitbagz.com
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 09:34:16 AM »
 chrz chrz chrz chrz chrz chrz

THANKS EVERYONE. ALL BETTER A WHILE AGO....TO BUSY FISHING TO REMEMBER TO REPLY AND THANK ALL OF YOU FOR THE INFO. NO LONG TERM DAMAGE THAT I CAN TELL(KNOCKING ON WOOD). THANKS AGAIN  t^ t^ t^ t^ t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-