Author Topic: Fishing Report- South of Barnegat  (Read 1707 times)

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
Fishing Report- South of Barnegat
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:52:59 AM »
    I have noticed alot of reports on the pier and surf fishing from Barnegat Light and North, but there isn't very much reported about the fishing activity south of Barnegat. I am going to try my best to rectify that situation. I will be going fishing from various Piers, Jetty's and beaches over the course of this Spring and Summer. I will take my camera and try to show various pictures so that people may find these places a little easier. (I found the pictures to be helpful to me when going somewhere new) I hope that you all enjoy my reports, and please send suggestions for places South of Barnegat that I may want to try.

So, I went fishing yesterday morning and this time I decided to stay a little bit closer to home. I started my day at "J.Edward Klingener" Fishing Pier. It was pretty cold out at 7 am, and the wind was going strong on this pier. The pier itself is nicely built, with a shelter for shade, and a Porta-Potty. The pier was covered with broken shells and dead crabs that the birds had left behind. I was using top/bottom rigs on two poles. One baited with clam, one with squid. ( I decided to make it a "leftover" day when it came to bait. ) It took about an hour and a half for me to decide to pack it up and move on. In this short time, I lost 4 rigs to snags. I am not a big fan of fighting seaweed (which I have found to be a problem at a few Ocean City locals) ......or of losing lures. 

I decided to go to to the rock jetty at the end of Longport, hoping to get some action from bigger, deeper waters. It was starting to warm up a little bit, but the wind was still kickin pretty hard. I was the only one on the jetty and took my poles and tackle straight to the end so that I could figure out where the tide would take my lines. I lost a rig or two on the rocks, until I figured out a couple of "snag-safe" places to bring the line in from. It was beautiful out there, and this Jetty is probably one of the best that I have ever fished from....other than the fact that I didn't catch any fish. the tide was out and on it's way back in. The rocks were not slippery at all, and they were large, flat, and easy to navigate. The jetty itself is't all that long, but the water was deep around it. I decided to leave the top/bottom rig on the light action pole, but I changed the medium action pole to a bass lure hoping to pick off a striper. ( wishful thinkin ! ) There was hardly any seaweed to contend with here, but the Skates were back to steal my bait, as well as a pesky little bird who was swimming under water and chasing my line whenever I would reel it in. I thought for sure I was gonna catch that bird on a hook ! I need to get some new line with a heavier test on my poles as well, since there are two skates swimming the Atlantic right now with two of my favorite rigs hanging out of there mouths!

All and all, I had another nice day NOT catching fish. I hope to break the streak on my next excursion, wherever that may be. Either that, or someone needs to send me intructions on cleaning and cooking "Skate"         

If You Can't Beat Em'..... Eat Em'

PS- How do I make my pic's small enough to post?
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline gagedylan

• http://www.myspace.com/husbandshatemeclub
    • facebook
Re: Fishing Report- South of Barnegat
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 08:07:01 AM »
first of all, you're preaching to the choir about south jersey. i fish mainly south of Barnegat Inlet, and you never see many reports from down here. the inlet itself poses a myriad of oppotunities for all types of fishing. stay at the east end, and there's bottom fishing galore. the jetty behind the lighthouse always produces blues, and last year two full coolers of herring caught on a custom made tiny bunker spoon rig. past the lighthouse, if you bring some heavy weight to handle the current, the water is deeper. and if you're feeling strong, drag all your gear to the end of the jetty (not very safe) and you have both sides of the jetty, deep water, and endless possibilities t^
25' Chris Craft Sea Hawk W/A with twin Suzuki 140 OB

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:16:48 AM »
nice work. We may have to open up a new forum for you.

Look for. Uploading pictures in the news and info.... Or one of those boards

I may rework the reports forum and break it down some.  t^
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:22:07 AM by Hotrod »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:25:03 AM »
Hi All,

I was just thinking that Rod.  I sent Sean a PM a few minutes ago to explain it to him.  That would be great to split the state.

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Mike ONeill

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 08:39:31 PM »
Corson Inlet is a great spot,besides longport jetty, the brige gives up some nice stripers this time of year.  At the bottom and tops of the tide also pluging the sod bank of the south side inside the bridge, and there is plenty of parking on both sides, My son and I fish that bridge for years,and always caught. Give it a try, Its just one of those spots thats easy to get too, and works. ;)

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-