Author Topic: Fluke Rod and Reel Reviews  (Read 70780 times)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Re: Fluke Rod and Reel Reviews
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 10:22:27 PM »
Conventional

1-Penn First Stike IMS 6'6"/Okuma Induron 250 spooled with #15 braid. Usually use 3 ounces of lead or less bucktails in the 1-1.5 oune range

2-Custom Lamiglas 7'0"/Shimano-TR100G spooled with #20 braid. This was my primary fluking stick last season. Usually hang between 3-6 ounces of lead on it. Can hold up to 8.

3-Shimano Atlantic Series ATL70M 7'0"/Shimano TR-100G spooled with #20 braid. Didn't use this allot last season but did the season prior. Nice set up for dragging bait when you don't need allot of lead.

4-Bogan Custom Fluke Rod 7'0"/Shimano TR-200G. This set-up I use mainly for live lining snappers but will also drag bait in the ocean with

4-Penn GLS 700 7'0"/Penn 955. I have a pair of these and Jason has one all with the same reel spooled with #20 braid. This is my main bucktailing stick in the ocean. Jason will also pull bait with his. Best used with 3-4 ounce bucktails but can handle 6.

5-Shimano Compre CPC 70MH 7'0"/Abu Pro Rocket 6500 spooled with #30 braid. Haven't fished this yet but will be my go to rod for bucktailing with 6 ounces.

6-Custom wrapped Lamiglas 7'0"/Penn 965 spooled with #20 braid. Was my go to rod 2 years ago. Nice soft tip with plenty of backbone. Still love this rod and will use it more this season.

7-Custom wrapped Lamiglas/Shimano Tekota 600 spooled with #30 braid. This rod I use when fishing the deeper channels when you need 8 ounces (have hung 20 a few times when eeling in Ambrose) and for deep water ocean fluking. Also sees duty as an eeling rod and blackfishing stick

8-Daiwa Procaster PR52T/Shimano Calcutta 250. Have a pair of these spooled with #10 mono. Haven't used these in a while. I like using these when fishing areas like the Belford flats and dragging a single spearing on small hooks. Also make great weakfishing set ups.

Spinning

9-Shimano CarboMax SCM60M 6'0"/Penn4400SS spooled with #10 braid. Used for fishing off the Keyport & Port Monmouth piers. Sees double duty as a flounder set up as well.

10-GLoomis SJR 722 6'0"/Shimano Stardic 2000FG spooled with #10 braid. Fished with 3/8-3/4 ounce bucktails. Love using this rod when bucktailing places like the Manasquan River.

11-Rogue SJ664S/Shimano Stradic 4000FH spooled with #15 braid. Fished with .75-1.25 ounce bucktails. My go to bucktail rod when fishing water under 25'.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 10:29:45 AM by Skolmann »

Offline mgm

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 08:21:20 AM »
All of this thread reminds me of Lee Trevino discussing what driver to use to improve a tee shot.

He replied.... "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian"   ;D
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2008, 08:48:56 AM »
He is a smart man.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2008, 08:52:55 AM »
Nice Job Guys..

goggle

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:10:16 AM by Hotrod »

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2008, 10:44:37 AM »
Hey Guys I'm a little late on this one. By now I'm sure you know I tend to fish on a budget and hate it but we do what we have to do. Our fluke rods are Shakespeare Ugly Sticks
M# BWC1120 medium heavy action in either a 6'6" or 7' model. It's good for weights up to 8 oz. match it with a simple Penn reel Model 209, or I just bought a GTO220 for the wife this year, Whole outfit is going to run about $125. I like the Penn reels because they are simple to service and have proven theirselves over the years.  t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2008, 01:33:07 PM »
Remember the quote MGM posted about Lee Trevino. That holds true for fishing as much as anything else.

For fishing, it's not the rod and reel that catches the fish. It has more to do with presentation and knowing where and when to fish.
Granted, you get a better feel of what is going on down below with the braid line, composite rods, etc, but you still have all the other variables that go into catching a fish.  t^

Use what you have and enjoy the sport.  slt

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2008, 02:33:35 PM »
I'll bet there's more Fluke caught with an Ugly Stik than all the other models that were mentioned here combined.

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2008, 02:34:25 PM »
Yea.  But we look at our fishing equipment like our wifes look at their jewelry.  and since my wife can sit and watch jewelry TV all day.  it's time for me to update my Jewelry. t^

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2008, 02:36:14 PM »
great way to put it rod.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2008, 02:28:01 PM »
I'll bet there's more Fluke caught with an Ugly Stik than all the other models that were mentioned here combined.
I started out with Ugly Sick rods and caught fish, however my catching and enjoyment went up significantly using rods crafted just for me and for specific uses like bucktailing. TT^

Right tool for the job helps a lot. chrz

XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Just picked up a Cabo 20 and will be placing it on my new custom spinning rod hopefully by month end.  Will report back on how the reel and rod are.   slt
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2010, 05:22:26 PM »
 t^

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2010, 03:12:14 AM »
Well the Cabo spooled up nicely and balances on it's temporary home of my good old Lami flats popping stick(XPS704)

Had some 10# Tuff Line XP in yellow so on it went.  Takes a good amount of it too.  Can't wait to fish it. TT^

Spooled up T's purple Avet SX with some pink Fireline too.

My blue Avet SX does seem to have some play in the anti-reverse ??? Not as much as a Newell but significantly more than T's purple one.

XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2010, 10:02:31 PM »
Gotta say I'm luv'n my Cabo PT 20  TT^ TT^

Smooth as silk, casts great, reels smooth, drag is like buttah.  Think T wants one now hhppy

I didn't really use my Avet SX but T fished her's for ahile this weekend.  Says it's real nice. Reels nice and smooth and no issues with the pink Fireline. TT^
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 10:50:25 PM »
good subject here....glad to see it lives on  t^
Great info........

Offline rossg

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2013, 02:07:43 PM »
LOOMIS ROD MEDIUM WEIGHT
Ambassadeur reel level wind
Great for jigging big bucktails in 70 feet
for August Mats
Ross
Lady J TOO

Offline Eng 94

• When the going gets tough the tough get going
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2014, 08:36:06 PM »
Bought my wife a TICA 7' MH spinning rod with a Penn Real Pursuit 4000. It's a nice outfit for Flukin as far as I am concerned and cost $170.00.

Ask a man what he prefers in woman and you will get a hundred opinions,and the same goes for fishing equipment,guns,golf clubs,Bats....etc.etc. Sometimes what we like isn't always right but that's what makes the world go round. I thought the subject was rate the outfit you bought.  ovrbt rofla

(Making reference to early post) 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:41:34 PM by Eng 94 »
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-