Author Topic: NJ Fishing South of Ole Barney- Longport Pier  (Read 82082 times)

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
NJ Fishing South of Ole Barney- Longport Pier
« on: May 07, 2008, 12:58:54 PM »
Ocean City-Long Port Pier

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&q=pier&near=Longport,+NJ&fb=1&ll=39.308236,-74.558094&spn=0.009762,0.023432&t=h&z=16>See Aerial View Here[/url]

OK, A new fishing pier on the list. I LOVED THIS PIER! It is a concrete pier with plenty of parking, and it is easily handicap accessable. The water is pretty deep even at the low tide, and unlike some of the piers that I have seen (ex.- Ventnor's Pier), it is NOT 50' above the water! There are two Porta potty's (including one for our Handicapped Fishing Friends!) There is a sign at the beginning of the pier that says It is under constant video surveillance and patrolled by the local police (I didn't see the camera or the cops, but I guess that it doesn't mean they are not there!) At the end of the pier, there is a very nice Gazebo, and benches from beginning to end. Another thing that I really liked is that there are a few fillet tables with sinks (no running water) and the rails are slightly slanted inwards with a lip, so you can work where you fish w/o the fear of your gear falling in the water! The locals that I spoke to were very friendly and gave good reports on the fishing.

I fished there for about 3 1/2 hours, and watched about 7 or 8 nice Blues, (On Mackerel and Mullet), as well as an early flounder that looked to be 20" or so. Shame that it's too early to keep him, since he swallowed the hook deep that he was having sharp pains in his tail! He was thrown back, but I think he just became Crab Bait! I only saw two or three skates come in, and one small shark. I will definitely fish this pier again soon.   

Let me know if anyone out there has fished here before, and how you made out!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 05:27:22 PM by Pfishingruven »
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Fishing South of Ole Barney- Longport Pier
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 01:26:07 PM »
Good report and pics.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »
Hey Irish...Just got my Stickers! Thanks, maybe I can get a few more folks from South Jersey to log on! t^
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 04:47:58 PM »
 t^ 

If I had some business cards, I would put a couple of them in with the stickers, but... ;D

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
Nice!!

Workin on it Joe..

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 05:35:13 PM »
Send me some when you get them, and I will get them out there for you t^
Steven Wright

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 05:44:10 PM »
 TT^

Offline Mike ONeill

Re: NJ Fishing South of Ole Barney- Longport Pier
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 05:29:06 PM »
That's one of the spots for big weakies-dark of the moon, flood tide,live bait ,OH Yeah.  We slam fish off that pier. Also tauge in the DARK. Great spot for stripers in early Oct-Nov. They just built a new parking lot across the way. Take a chum pot either clam or bunker, when the current slows thats the time to go. >:D

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 05:47:07 PM »
That's one of the spots for big weakies-dark of the moon, flood tide,live bait ,OH Yeah.  We slam fish off that pier. Also tauge in the DARK. Great spot for stripers in early Oct-Nov. They just built a new parking lot across the way. Take a chum pot either clam or bunker, when the current slows thats the time to go. >:D

Thanks for the tips....I will be sure to give it a try.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 05:50:39 PM by seanr8w »
Steven Wright

Offline dapbmw

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 04:15:45 PM »
hey how do you get there from mays landing? directions please?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 01:39:04 PM »
I hit the pier for some night fishing on Monday night. I was suprised to see that there were over a dozen people fishing there when I arrived at 11 0'clock and stayed until 3. I would have stayed later but my buddy who was with me had work the next day. The pier was pretty well lit, but not over bright so a flashlight comes in handy. It was a shark fest the entire time that I was there, to the point that you could watch the big boys swimming around the top water when you stood near a pier light. VERY COOL  t^ . At about 1 am, the guys on the end of the pier were catching herring left and right using tiny little jigs and pink finesse. They were kind enough to share so I live lined one but the bass never showed while I was there. I was a great time none-the-less, and the weather was perfect for comfortable fishing. I met a few good people there who I hope to see on this site in the near future. I was out of cards, but I did take down the e-mail addresses and sent out links to the site. One gentleman was kind enought to take the photo below. This one measured just over 4 ft. ;D
Steven Wright

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 03:33:13 PM »
Sounds like you had a good night.  This time of year that seems to be the best time to be out there anyway.  Looking forward to linking up with you to do a little beach fishing.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »
Sounds like a good night, good report  t^

NJDEVIL  >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 09:21:17 PM »
Nice report. Good way to spend the evening.  t^

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2008, 11:05:52 PM »
Hello Everone,
I have a great story to tell from fishing the pier on Friday, but have been very busy and have not had the time. I will try to get it on here later tonight and add pictures as soon as I can. I just wanted to put the note up here for all the people who I gave the cards to. So Bart and everyone else, if you check in, keep checkin, and welcome too the site! I hope that you enjoy.

P.S. Dave, Sam and the rest of my new friends from the pier....Keep checkin in cause I am gonna start a new thread to introduce you guys to the site....I will keep you informed!
Steven Wright

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2008, 11:23:13 PM »
Nice work Sean..

Look forward to the post.

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2008, 05:01:10 AM »
OK, Let's see how much of this story I can get down before I get called away to take care of a patient. I Went Fishing on Friday with my 9 year old daughter, my friend Chuck, and his son John. We started off the day on the beach in Atlantic City at around 9:30 a.m. I will put that report on the Atlantic City thread. At about 1:30, we had left the beach and made our way to the Longport Jetty, but the waves were hitting it pretty hard and I didn't want to finish the day casting a kids broken arm instead of casting a lure, so we decided to head to the other side of the inlet and try some pier fishing.
We got to the Pier and I had the bait in the water by I guess around 2 p.m. To my suprise, the pier was almost empty and the very end of the pier had a father and his six kids sitting under the gazebo with six tiny rented poles in various spots around the pier. They had been there for two hours using squid strips and said not so much as a nibble. They also were quick to tell us that the only thing that they had seen caught in the two hours was a small skate by someone at the halfway point of the pier. That did not scare me since Skate is one of my new favorite dishes, not to mention that at this point I just wanted to see my dughter and my friends son get the chance to reel something in other that the bait and weight that I had been casting for them all day at the beach. Around a half hour of getting to the pier, the father had packed up his rented gear and his six rugrats and headed back to the comfort of his air conditioned vacation rental. I quickly jumped into the corners and sides of the pier and locked down my favorite spots! I was using a smorgesboard of bait to feel out what might be the best choice. One pink bucktail w/ a chartruece GULP teaser on my daughters pole. Chucks son was all about casting and reeling and jigging and playing so I hooked him up with a rattling lure with double trebles. I hooked my Buddy up with a fresh clam, and I was using a herring head. Chuck was using the brand new surf pole that he had picked up at the Sports Authority, and this was its maiden voyage. He was manning the propane grill hooking up the hot dogs for the kids and a couple of peppered steaks for us. His rod started bending so I told him, and he asked me to reel it in since he was cooking. (this is more of a get away from the wife trip for him, so his pole is my pole!) I brought it in and saw that it was a foot and a half long dogfish, so I slacked out the line and let him swim, and gave each kid a turn reeling it in since this was probably going to be the best action of the day. ( I especially wanted me daughter to feel what it was to have a fish on, since all day long, she kept saying "Dad, I think I got one" as she reeled in empty bucktails.
     OK, the fun was over and I got my hook back from the fighting doggie and sent him back to the water for another day. I re-baited the hook with a herring chunk hoping for something bigger with some stripes or something!! I know it was a long shot but that is what I want and I was going after it!
    OK, this is where the story gets good! I cast out the herring chunk and tied the pole down to the pier with a piece of thin but strong metal wire that I had twisted around the base of the pole. Back to lunch.... and then, John, Chucks son, said "Dad, you got one! We all turned around to see his rod bending, and then "SNAP" the wire breaks and all twelve feet of his brand new rod and reel go over the edge and into the inlet. We watched as ten inches of the black handle pointed out of the water had a 45 degree angle and I told Chuck that he can wave goodbye to his pole. Then Two guys came running from their spots and said "Cast for it"...Well, I will admit that that thought had never crossed my mind. At this point, the pole was an easy fifty yards from the pier. The first guy, Bart, Cast his line like he was launching the SPUTNIK but he unfortunately didn't realize that in his line was wrapped around that last little eye of his pole, and he snapped his line, while losing his lead and his hook. The other gentleman who's name I didn't get was next to cast as I was frantically trying to remove the herring head from mine, and he fell short by a couple of feet. He kept trying as me and Bart were racing to add lead to our lines. Chuck stood on a benck and tryed to keep us on sight of the rod wich kept disappearing and reappearing as it was slowly moving up the inlet. Now all three of us casting and falling short or to the left or right, but not able to get it where it needed to be.    :-X :-X :-X rgmn rgmn rgmn I gotta get to work! TO BE CONTINUED......

OK, It's 7:41 a.m. and I am exhausted, but I need to finish this story for all of you who read a posting this long.  We are all casting for this huge rod in the far distance in the hopes that one of us would reach...and all I could think of was " I wish Surfrocket was here!!! About fifteen to twenty minutes of this went by before we noticed that the pole was actually starting to head back in our direction. You all have to believe me when I tell you that I have never seen three fisherman fight so hard to catch anything. Suddenly, our new friend Bart tosses the perfect cast as his lead drops about a foot or two behindthe pole. He slowly startsto reeling it in as he... Sorry, just fell asleep in fron t the PC, I will finish this story and add some photo's when I wake up.

grtn ;D  Ok , I am awake! So when we left our hero Bart, he had finally got the lead out past our new pole. " I Got it" he says as I see a little bend in his pole. he is hooked up, and slowly reeling in what I thought was a lost cause. He takes his time with it as we watch for a while and then I start casting again to try to hook up with some insurance in case he comes unhooked. I miss a couple of more times and then I hook up with the largest eyelet and we can start bringing her in a little quicker. It is not intil now that we come to realize, as the tip of the pole starts coming out of the water and into our reach, that Bart has pulled a TIGER WOODS! He hooked that pole from about 150 feet away DEAD CENTER of the tip eyelet!!! Amazing! The lost cause is now back in my hands, as we take his and my hook from the rod. I get situated and give the handle a lift....still hooked up! I start reeling it in and there is a hell of a lot of fight left in this fish. after a couple of minute though I have him in my sites....Another doggie, pushing 4 feet long, and heavy as hell, but proof that on a slow day, when the bite is off....these so called "junk fish" can provide a ton of fun and excitement for anyone in the area. I put on my rubber gardening gloves and started pulling up the line by hand. I guess I am getting better with my knot tying skills because that line held up and this fish was on deck. Had he swallowed that hook any deeper, I woulda had to cut his tail off to get it. I let the kids on the peer take turns holding it up for pictures....and then....off with his head. I took the meat into work last night, and fed myself and the Nurses a little lemon pepper fish fry on the George Forman with some pasta and a homemade tomatoe, carmalized onion, and green chile sauce. MMMMM, I was eating him when I started this story last night.... and now that htis story is over, I am gonna head to the bathroom and send this good fighter back to the Jersey Waters, if you catch my drift....................NO PUN INTENDED  rofla hhppy rofla hhppy rofla
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:55:53 PM by seanr8w »
Steven Wright

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2008, 08:41:03 AM »
Maybe you should write for ER or Rescue Me and help them out with their cliff hanger season finale. 

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
Oh you little tease you... ;) ;D

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-