Author Topic: LAKE ASSUNPINK  (Read 27637 times)

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
LAKE ASSUNPINK
« on: May 12, 2008, 06:21:33 PM »

LAKE ASSUNPINK
One of the top perennial bass-producing waters in the central part of New Jersey is Lake Assunpink. This lake annually produces some of the best catches of good-sized bass in the state. Despite drought conditions, anglers enjoyed good bassing last season and should this year, too. Bass in the 6- and 7-pound class were weighed in at several local tackle shops. Bass tournaments on the lake produced good results for anglers.

Ask anyone who fishes Lake Assunpink on a regular basis as to why it was productive when most of its better known counterparts were not and you'll likely to get 10 different answers. There were, however, a few factors that Lake Assunpink has in its favor. Lake Assunpink's waters come from a drainage system of the same name. Unlike most other drainages that were severely affected by the drought, water levels, while lower, remained relatively stable at Assunpink.

The large number of springs that seep into the lake also helps keep its water a few degrees cooler than most other lakes. Assunpink is often wind- swept even under the slightest breeze. This produces good oxygen levels, which allows bass to cope with the higher water temperatures.

The lake's 225 acres of surface water are largely shallow and the lake has silted in considerably since it was built. The lake's backwaters contain heavy vegetation during the summer and this produces excellent surface plugging action. Even though its waters are much shallower than the other lakes we discussed, Lake Assunpink still has plenty of open water and 10-foot-plus water where plastic baits will provide you with good bass-fishing action. In particular, the old streambed that is still visible on a depthfinder produces some excellent numbers of bass on jig-and-pig and jig-and-plastic worm combinations.

Unlike the other lakes detailed here, Assunpink does not have a smallmouth population. The lake's maximum depth is about 15 feet, with an electric motor-only rule. One of the drawbacks the lake has is its boat launch, which is a dirt ramp. Anglers with larger boats can have a problem launching, especially under low-water conditions. Shoreline access is ample, as is the parking.

Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: LAKE ASSUNPINK
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 06:57:06 PM »
I fished here many years ago. Nice bass lake.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:36:42 PM »
Assunpink was and still is a good bass lake.  I have a friend that still fishes it and does quite well especially at night.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline sealife

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 08:34:39 PM »
I think they built a new boat ramp and parking lot in the past year.

Offline bayonne

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 10:26:25 PM »
yes they did a new concrete launch and paved parking lot

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 10:59:15 PM »
Yep a good bass lake.  if you look at the lake with the earthen berm to your left and you look between 1 and 2 0'clock there are some good holes that I use to catch bass on a regular basis years ago.  I bet they still hold bass today.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Jersey Ray

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 10:07:04 PM »
Yeah,I fish Assunpink occasionaly,but Mostly at Night because of the Extreme Fishing Pressure that the Lake Receives daily... Heres a few Pics from the last night I was out there,Nothing Big but fun nonetheless... ;D
Never Argue with an Idiot,cause he`ll just drag you down to his level and beat ya with experience!:)  Give a man a fish and he eats for the day,show a man where to fish,and he and all his buddies will be there tomorrow...:(  Look me up on ArcheryTalk.com if you are an Archer also!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 10:08:56 PM »
Nice catches!  All nice fish...beats the skunk.

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 11:21:13 PM »
Sweet, nice going... t^ grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline 89stang1

• Pullin Drag
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 07:43:44 AM »
I have not been here in a couple years but ive fished Assupink many times over the years, pre spawn daytime in spring and many all niters in the summer there and have done real good sometimes with bass up to and over 5 pounds
John
Raritan Bay Stripers & Fluke
SV-18GT Fisher Marine "Grey Thunder" aluminum bassboat Mercury outboard

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-