Author Topic: ROUND VALLEY RESERVOIR  (Read 25359 times)

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
ROUND VALLEY RESERVOIR
« on: May 12, 2008, 06:24:42 PM »

ROUND VALLEY RESERVOIR
One of the top spots for bass fishermen in New Jersey is Round Valley Reservoir. Round Valley is better noted for its trout fishing. Producing the state record for lake trout and brown trout, Round Valley is considered to be the best trophy trout-fishing hole in the state; hence, bass fishermen who look to more traditional bass producers, such as Lake Hopatcong and Lake Musconetcong, largely overlook it.

Round Valley is a unique body of water in that it has its water pumped into it rather than being filled by a feeder stream. This means that the reservoir's water color and clarity are very stable; however, it also means that the structure changes during dry periods, such as the summer of 2002. The lower water changed the shorelines and brought a lot of structure closer to the surface, making bass easier to get at and giving anglers easier fishing. Even with the lower water levels, Round Valley still possesses plenty of deep-water structure and bass are often found suspended around it during the spring.

Topwater anglers enjoyed good fishing last year; however, how good the surface fishing will be this season will have a lot to do with the water levels in the reservoir. Under normal conditions, jigs, deep-diving crankbaits and plastic worms, worked in and around the submerged treetops and vegetation, are your main tools to catch bass. As with all the other top bass spots detailed here, Round Valley has good largemouth and smallmouth populations. In fact, Carol Marciniak caught the state-record smallmouth from Round Valley in 1990. Her big smallie weighed in at a whopping 7 pounds, 2 ounces!

With 2,350 acres of surface water, Round Valley is one of the state's biggest bass-fishing holes. There is an excellent paved boat launch, along with plenty of shoreline access and ample parking, as well as a 10-horsepower rule on the reservoir. The horsepower limit keeps fishing pressure down a bit, too, as anglers with high-powered bass boats can't use them on Round Valley.

Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: ROUND VALLEY RESERVOIR
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:03:19 PM »
I fished Round Valley many years ago only once or twice. Large lake that you have to put your time in to learn.

A little further north is the Spruce Run. I have fished that more than Round Valley and did decent. That was wayyyyyyy back when I did the fresh water thing.  TT^

Both were 9/9 HP lakes at the time.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline mgm

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:02:19 PM »
Fished it years ago....it sure has a variety of fish, but personally it's like fishing in a large soup bowl....nothing like a lake with varied structure and shoreline to cast to weeds and flats.
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:19:53 PM »
Spruce Run is like what you are describing.  t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:33:23 PM »
Round Valley, we use to get some nice size lake trout out of there.  used a Red Devil spoon down deep.  Sweet.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline mgm

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 09:07:12 AM »
I have a friend who spends hours on that lake looking for trophy lakers, and browns.......real key is to find and fish the thermoclines, troll or fish live bait at the proper depth.....watch the float on the bait for signs that the bait is being stalked, etc.

Takes lots of experience and time on the water to know what you are doing there to nail big ones on a consistent basis.
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 09:15:44 AM »
I live about 10 mins from RV and used to fish it a lot when I had a 14'er. Tough lake sometimes but some nice fish are caught.

Like all big water trout fishing, the right depth is key. Downriggers or bait on a slip bobber both work.

For bass fishing, try drifting the 20' - 40' range with a minnow on a slip bobber. Again, set the depth of the bobber where you're reading the fish. If I'm not mistaken, the state record Smallmouth was caught there.

They just put in docks this year, so launching will be easier.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 09:32:54 AM »
When I fished Round Valley (and a lot of other freshwater spots) I was relatively new to fishing and didn't know about thermoclines and a lot of other things that mattered. It was a definate learning time for me.

Most of the stuff I did learn bled over into the saltwater scene, with fishing structure, etc. Took many, many years of fishing to learn what I know now and I am still learning every day.  t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 12:02:45 PM »
 TT^ We had some good times up there camping and all.  TT^ There were four of us that would make it a long weekend and bring our boats up and have a blast.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 10:37:10 AM »
Yep there's some steep mtn biking trails there around the res as well. Campsites out on the far side-- tough to pack your gear in without a boat....

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 08:07:36 PM »
back in the 70's use to car top 11 foot jon boat with a 3 1/2 horse kicker,when the winds kicked up out there it was like being on the North Atlantic.
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 08:30:09 PM »
I had a 12 foot car topper with a 6 1/2 HP. Was fun to drive up to the water, pull over to the side of the launch area, untie the boat, slide it off the roof rack and put it in the water while everyone else was waiting to get to the launch spot with their boats on the trailers.  TT^

Offline Jersey Ray

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »
Not only is Round Valley a Great Trout Lake,but it is also has some Great Bass Fishing if you know what use and where to go...Heres some Pics of a 8 Pounder I banged on a Rubber Worm at about 2:30 A.M.... cfzd  t^
Never Argue with an Idiot,cause he`ll just drag you down to his level and beat ya with experience!:)  Give a man a fish and he eats for the day,show a man where to fish,and he and all his buddies will be there tomorrow...:(  Look me up on ArcheryTalk.com if you are an Archer also!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 10:18:40 PM »
Wow Ray.. that is Cool.   You caught it Mounted and all  t^  Saved you a few buck I bet  ;D

NICE FISH t^

Offline Jersey Ray

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 10:20:29 PM »
Wow Ray.. that is Cool.   You caught it Mounted and all  t^  Saved you a few buck I bet  ;D

NICE FISH t^
                                          LMAO!  chrz  Yeah,it`s not to often that I catch them Mounted like that,usually they are swimming;but Sometimes you just get Lucky I guess... hhppy
Never Argue with an Idiot,cause he`ll just drag you down to his level and beat ya with experience!:)  Give a man a fish and he eats for the day,show a man where to fish,and he and all his buddies will be there tomorrow...:(  Look me up on ArcheryTalk.com if you are an Archer also!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 11:14:24 PM »
Nice fish!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 11:49:11 PM »
 rofla rofla hhppy hhppy :-\
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 12:41:06 PM »
Nice fish  t^

Offline TRSteve71

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 08:08:49 PM »
When I lived in Clifton NJ and just bought my boat, Round Valley was my place to go. I could drift for hours catching lakers and bass. Water was so damn clear back then you could see 20 feet or more down.

Gone camping there too. made many a meal of deep fried sunnies and perch. YUM!!!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-