Author Topic: lake ontario help  (Read 15271 times)

Offline edwals

lake ontario help
« on: May 20, 2008, 02:04:29 PM »
I just purchased a new boat 18 foot cc and would love to take it Lake Ontario for salmon or whatever else i can catch.  Has anyone been able to trailer a boat there and I would love any help as to where to launch and stay.  I've been fishing the Raritan Bay pretty regular and would like to give the lake a try.  Everyone tells me it's fantastic.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: lake ontario help
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 03:03:54 PM »
Hi edwals.. Welcome to the site..  I sure someone here as made that trip

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 03:12:51 PM »
BEEN THERE DONE THAT ;D
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline Sam3

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 03:15:08 PM »
Check out Oswego. Nice big ramp and alot of places to stay at. Do a google search for places to stay, you'll find something.

Rugman and I were up there last year. Fishing ROCKED!

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 03:15:34 PM »
SAM , YOU HAVE A PM grtn grtn rofla
Arty's Carpet Service.

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 03:16:28 PM »
Check out Oswego. Nice big ramp and alot of places to stay at. Do a google search for places to stay, you'll find something.

Rugman and I were up there last year. Fishing ROCKED!
AND HE STILL MISSES ME :'( :'( :-* :-* rofla rofla
Arty's Carpet Service.

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 03:22:50 PM »
I just purchased a new boat 18 foot cc and would love to take it Lake Ontario for salmon or whatever else i can catch.  Has anyone been able to trailer a boat there and I would love any help as to where to launch and stay.  I've been fishing the Raritan Bay pretty regular and would like to give the lake a try.  Everyone tells me it's fantastic.
I sent you a pm , check it out
Arty's Carpet Service.

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 03:48:20 PM »
Hey Ed..Welcome! Did that trip for many years pulling my Gumman.. I did most of my fishing out of Fairhaven..Its ideal for a smaller boat as it is on Little Sodus Bay, so if you get blown off the main lake, you can fish the bay, which is loaded with Bass, Pike, Perch, etc..There is a big state park there that has a good launch, and rents cabins if you want to "rough it" a bit.. Otherwise, there is lodging available in town.. We always stayed at Frost Haven, but I believe it has since changed hands/ names..Its Anchor Resort now..  Chinook Harbor I believe still offers lodging as well as a marina.. That area is great for Browns in close from ice-out, into about June.. Areas like Moon Beach, the Bluffs, and in front of Blind Sodus, are all places to pull stickbaits in the spring for Browns.. Through the summer Lake Trout are the mainstay, (fish the "Chicken Coop, and bottom structure in 100-150ft. )  and Steelheads can usually be found on the vertical temp breaks..Salmon fishing usually heats up in Aug.-Oct... Smallmouth fishing is off the hook most of the summer.. Usually I would troll crankbaits on the first drop-off until I contacted a few Bass, then stop and cast..Other areas to consider are Oswego, which also has a great trophy Walleye fishery going, and Mexico near the outflow of the Salmon River.. Good luck and have fun!

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 04:45:40 PM »
Welcome to the site Ed, you have a pm
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 07:22:19 PM »
Ed, I can't help you with your quest, but I do want to welcome you to the site. As you see, many are here and willing to help.

Any questions, just ask. Anything you can add, please do so. Looking forward to your reports/posts.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 07:48:10 PM »
welcome
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline hockey12

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 08:00:11 AM »
Try Oswego, Fair Haven, Mexico Point or Salmon River. All of them are basically right along Rt. 104. Mexico Point is nice.

Offline bayonne

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 08:53:03 PM »
oswago is nice but gets real crowded theirs a smaller place on the little salmomon river just off the lake and it will put you into mexico bay which is great for brown trout and smallies and ive gotten lakers over 10 lbs from shore at selkirk shores state park which has camping and theirs a koa in mexico nice place and they have whats called camping cabins if you dont want to rough it

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 10:44:25 AM »
Hi edwals and hockey12, welcome to our site, I am sure you will get plenty of useful information for your trip and hockey12 thanks for posting your info.  I hope the summer brings you both tight lines.   grtn

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 04:57:27 PM »
mexico, oswego... ehhhh forget the boat, go to salmon river!!  t^ t^
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 08:22:15 AM »
I see this was posted almost a year ago.  I am guessing you made your trip since then. Keep in mind the info I'm giving you is older since I have not been there in over ten years.  I used to work the North Sandy Pond Marina which is in RR Pulaski NY.  It has a Boat Launch And the Pond as they call it up there would be a fair size Lake here In Northeast PA.  The inlet to the Big Lake is only about 1/4 TO 3/8 OF A MILE FROM THE MARINA.  You might want to call them before you go up as, it has been sold since about 3 to 4 years ago.
The pond runs about 6 ft deep. In rough weather you can be real successful in the pond, Bass, perch and pike.  The Big lake seas are a hard chop in rough weather rather than swells and can be swamping dangerous. June and July are real good months for fighting Salmon.  In early Sept they start stacking up in the Lake to make the river run.  Back In the day when they ran up river they were mostly Foul hooked Because they don,t feed much on the run.  I think that is outlawed now from what I hear.  When they run they loose alot of their color and fight. Hope that helps a bit.
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 08:26:57 AM »
20+ lb fish are being caught now on the west end of the lake at the Bar.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-