Author Topic: Bait Launchers  (Read 12711 times)

Offline fishon42

• Super Hero Member
  • Salmon On
    • Facebook
Re: Bait Launchers
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 07:56:55 PM »
I dont understand these things. Where do I get them, how much do they cost, what exactly are they called ? How do they take your line out so fast off of your reel without tangling the reel up ? How far do these things shoot. I want one now.  chrz slt
Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 11:56:22 PM »
Hey Mark,

You can get them as a number of B&T's Grumpy's in SSP has them.  it is called the Surf Rocket.  It uses compressed air to propel a frozen cylinder with your bait and hook out close to 500 feet.  It is about 7' long and comes complete with everything necessary to launch your offerings out past the breakers.  You can also just use it to launch your chum as well.

The cost, well lets say it is $500 on round figures.

Nice idea but I think I will have to stick with my sticks and reels and sheer strength to get my weekly offerings to the fish gods.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Twitch

• DONT TREAD ON ME
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 10:26:53 AM »
I would have more fun donating them to people with handicaps that can not cast or have difficulties in doing so.  Veterans would be at the top of my list!
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ Thomas Edison

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 08:46:16 AM »
We have done numerous tests on how to make this properly,and safe. The problem isnt the pvc, its the glue.Along with the glue not holding the pressure, pvc and the glue breaks down with exposure to uv rays.Trust me if it could have been done that way saftly, I would have done it that way.There is a saftey rating for pressure vessels and stored energy containers,and in order to meet the saftey standard pvc can not be used. Within our testing done by refatable engineers, pvc only achieved a number rating of a 2 in this saftey scale. We even tried to use treaded fittings with the glue,and in testing they both came apart.Any container that stores energy or pressure vessle must meet a min rating of a 6 to meet the saftey standard. As for the cost of such a product, this is why it is on the high side. Each tank has to be built to the engineers specs exactly,and then go threw a pressure test that lasts 24 hours,done by a certified pressure vessel engineer.Then there is insurance,but I dont have the time to get into that. I have donated a lot of Surf Rockets to diffrent organazations and handicaped people. It has never been about me me me. I am always out and about helping people and giving back. Anyone can meet me on the beach anytime, I am very open that way. I will never turn my back on a fellow fisherman,and am always looking to meet new people. I can be reached just about any time, my number is all over the web and in a bunch of bait shops. Although the price seems high;450.00, it is still a cheap alternative to a boat. I have rods and reels that cost that much,and the oppertunity to catch something great from the beach, you cant put a price on that. I am in no way trying to stop you from doing what you want to do, all I'm saying is be careful and dont get hurt.

Offline Twitch

• DONT TREAD ON ME
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 09:10:04 AM »
Thanks, I will definitly keep an eye on the glue thing.  God bless you for donating them to Vets!  Let me ask you this,  What we got going is kinda like what you and several other people have going, I dont want to plug anyones particuler launchers but some are made from coolers with PVC as a launch tube.  Is your launch tube made ov Plastic or is the entire unit metal?  I understand the safety concept rating and all, The unit we have is not meant to store pressure for 24hrs at a time.  Once we load the bait we launch.  I never have to bring a battery or compressor to the beach as well.  Oh yea I forgot what kind of safety warnings or msds comes with your unit.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~ Thomas Edison

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 06:48:42 PM »
we have a large warning label on the barrel,comon sence labeling really. we dont recomend anyone store air in the surf rocket when its not in use either. that 24 hour period i mentioned is for the safty test to make it avalible to the public. Our air chambers are certified for 1500 psi,so there is no chance of failer.As for our launch tubes we use acrlic tubing, it holds up against the elements and uv rays much more then pvc.The surf rocket weighs in at about 7 pounds, it is not heavy by any means,and breaks down for easy storage.As for your comment about a drain cock in the unit to release the condensation, in theory you have the right idea. You do not want to add another weakness to the air chamber. If that plug comes loose it will be like a bullet, outcome probally not good. Our launch tube easily seperaits from the air chamber, which enables you to wash out and lubricate properly. I do not by any means think i invented the wheel with the surf rocket, I know that there are similar products out there. I just perfected it,and made it as safe as possible.It took a lot of time and money, to put this great product on the market.Although you are not happy with the price,concidering all of factors,the surf rocket is a bargin. I have a few rod and reels that cost more than a surf rocket, I also own a boat. Fuel prices today are threw the roof.Depending where I go, I can eaisly go threw 300 dollars in fuel in a day.Thats not counting fuel to get the boat to the water,tackel,food, really the list can go on.Air and ice is cheep, and it doesnt cause cancer in California. So although the inital cost seems high, in reality you just bought a product that is proven,safe,and affordable to use every day.Not only does the surf rocket launch bait, and give you the ability to chum your area, you can use lures, bunker snags, live bait what ever the situation calls for.To top things off the surf rocket can be used in rescue situations. With the surf rocket you can launch a rope, with either a weighted bean bag or a special compressed life jacket hundreds of feet off shore. Not only does it work to catch monster fish but you can save a life with it also.That my friend you cant put a price on.I know I came off harsh with my first responce,and for that I apologize. I dont knock anyone who puts effort into anything, thats how this country was built God bless us all.And I wish you all the luck in creating your launcher,just be safe. Like I said you can contact me any time. Mabey we can meet up and have the battle of bait launchers, have a great time and catch some fish.

Offline 0ffShoreRy@n

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 11:41:09 PM »
sorry to get off topic though Jericho rocks and the tv station dont know a boat if it was spelled out in front of them
A wise man once said" MANY SHIP AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA HAD THE RIGHT AWAY AND TOOK IT"
"Taylor Vee" Wellcraft 360 Coastal

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008, 12:04:49 AM »
Mabey we can meet up and have the battle of bait launchers, have a great time and catch some fish.

I'm coming to see the Battle! It Would be a great time!!!! Maybe I will build a GIANT slingshot and get in on the action  rofla hhppy rofla
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 09:39:54 AM »
I can just see me with one of those things.
Reeling in a sea robin from 2 football fields
away!
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 09:58:56 AM »
I can just see me with one of those things.
Reeling in a sea robin from 2 football fields
away!
;D

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2008, 07:25:42 PM »
lol, bucktail been there done that.

Offline Greg7

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 02:33:25 AM »
Air and ice is cheap, and it doesnt cause cancer in California.

Give it some time and california will find air and ice to be cancer causing.  rofla

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2008, 12:57:40 AM »
what dosent cause cancer there. i love reading lables that say that. causes cancer in california.... but not in jersey,lol.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2008, 03:15:06 PM »
what dosent cause cancer there. i love reading lables that say that. causes cancer in california.... but not in jersey,lol.

On anywhere else for that matter!  It makes me laugh everytime I read one!!

rofla  hhppy  rofla

TT^

Offline Greg7

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 11:45:19 PM »
Welcome to california, the cancer state.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-