Author Topic: Point Pleasant Canal 6/12  (Read 7486 times)

Offline wink_man

Re: Point Pleasant Canal 6/12
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 10:30:12 PM »
Went to the canal late this afternoon to meet Bucktail from this site, get the Fin-S fish he got for me, and show him a few of my favorite spots on the river for fluke. Was a pleasure to meet you Bucktail, and thank you again for the deal on the Fin-S fish.

Then I went to the south end by the condos to look for a striper. Tried a plastic sandworm on a jig, hoping it was something stripers would go for and blues would not be interested in. Had a hit and set the hook, fish on, and no head shaking so I figure it might be a small striper. This was an 8 inch plastic sandworm mind you, LOL. So he gets close and is fighting deep, and when he comes up, low and behold, here's what I caught on the sandworm.

Would have been legal too at 16 inches if the season was open, but of course, we recreational fisherman have raped the blackfish resource and there's nothing left for the commercial fisherman, LMAO, so back in the water he went, really surprised me.

Lost9340 joined me for a bit, casting a popper as I worked a fin-s. Bluefish were there, just enough to be annoying and I lost fin-s and shads. Then my whole theory about maybe the bluefish avoiding the plastic sandworm was shot as they started biting them off too. Caught about half a dozen blues, even though I was trying to avoid them. Here's just a small bit of the damage they did this afternoon.

Blues hung around and even got thicker as the evening went on, so I called it quits at 9PM, no sense in staying, I wasn't going to get a striper with all those aggressive blues around, hopefully they will move on by tomorrow morning.

Water was crystal clear on incoming and outgoing tides, boat traffic a little more than minimal, saw all the baby flounder again, spearing, rainfish and some small bunker, also either a winter flounder or small fluke about 8 inches long. Still can't find any weakfish at all in the canal or river, but I did get a reliable report today that commercial crabbers in the northern bay are getting a few weakies in their crab pots, so maybe they are starting to come in now.

Garry

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 08:40:28 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 08:55:25 AM »
Nice report Garry.  Pretty cool with that blackfish on the "sandworm jig". ;D  It was nice meeting you yesterday as well.  Glad I could help you out with those baits.  I know you go through a lot of them.

Thanks for showing me those spots.  We'll definitely give them a shot Saturday. ;)

-Bob

Offline hm5419

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »
Quote from: hm5419 on June 12, 2008, 05:01:28 PM
hey Garry one quick question, i thought that at the condo end of the canal it was all private parking, is that true ? thanks larry

nope there is alot of public parking all over and there is a public ramp for putting in your boat. all around the condos is public property so you can fish pretty much where ever you want, but there are a few pain in the (mind my words) that live there that have nothing better to do than to try and cause trouble.

so after riding thru there all this time thinking it was private property and missing out on all the action, damn  :-\  so i can park and walk behind the condos and fish along the whole backside ??    larry

Offline yankeesfn08

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 04:52:58 PM »
have u guys ever tryed metal there??? You wont go through as much bait and then a chance at a striper it just as high.

Offline wink_man

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
have u guys ever tryed metal there??? You wont go through as much bait and then a chance at a striper it just as high.

Unfortunately, in my experince, I've not found that to be true in the canal, nor have most of the shapies that fish it regularly for bass. Plastic outperforms metal there on stripers easily 5 to 1.

Garry

Offline wink_man

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 08:05:42 PM »
Quote from: hm5419 on June 12, 2008, 05:01:28 PM
hey Garry one quick question, i thought that at the condo end of the canal it was all private parking, is that true ? thanks larry

nope there is alot of public parking all over and there is a public ramp for putting in your boat. all around the condos is public property so you can fish pretty much where ever you want, but there are a few pain in the (mind my words) that live there that have nothing better to do than to try and cause trouble.

so after riding thru there all this time thinking it was private property and missing out on all the action, damn  :-\  so i can park and walk behind the condos and fish along the whole backside ??    larry

Larry,
     That is correct, you can park there and walk to the canal to fish. If you take Bay Ave south to the end, right before the end, you'll see parking spaces on your right, there's currently a dumpster parked at the end of it, that section is public parking. Private parking is designated as such, with signage indicating so.
     Also, on both sides of that parking spot I mentioned, you will see signs that say 'public access, or walkway'. Those condos could only be built on the condition that the canal was accessible to the public in that area. Of course, some of the local residents don't like that much, LMAO. I beleive the first 7 feet of land had to be accessible to the public. There are also 2 wooden fishing decks over there, that go out on the water, publicly accessible for fishing.

Garry

Offline hm5419

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 12:36:17 PM »
thanks garry for the info, you would have thought i knew this living in point pleasant  ::)

Offline dapbmw

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »
hey garry,

the end of bay ave south is bay point harbor?
this is the spot where you fished?

cheers,
dave

Take exit #90/BRICK TWP/LAKEWOOD/PT PLEASANT onto CHAMBERS BRIDGE RD(CR-549) - go 1.5 mi

Turn Left on RT-70 - go 0.7 mi

Turn Right on PRINCETON AVE(CR-630) - go 3.4 mi

Turn Left on 5TH ST(CR-630)

Continue on BEAVER DAM RD(CR-630) - go 0.8 mi

Turn Right on BRIDGE AVE(CR-632) - go 1.0 mi

Turn Right on BAY AVE - go 0.2 mi

Bear Left on BAY POINT HRBR - go 0.2 mi

Arrive at BAY POINT HARBOUR, POINT PLEASANT, on the Left

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-