Author Topic: Suggestions for first surf outing?  (Read 3698 times)

Offline tabasco_joe

• Full Member of the Den
Suggestions for first surf outing?
« on: April 30, 2007, 08:11:23 AM »
I'm looking for some suggestions on my first time surf trip.  Let me provide some background.  I'm a long time fresh water fisherman experienced with bass, musky, and trout.  I have a two week vacation this July in Maine and ended up with reservations below Damariscotta, right by the coast.  I always wanted to give the surf a try so figured this was my chance.  I picked up two outfits, one conventional and one spinner.  (I prefer conventional and I figure my experience chucking large musky lures puts me partway up the learning curve.)  I live in Bucks Cty PA.  I don't have any specific species I want to target, just interested in getting some knowledge.  Any suggestions?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Suggestions for first surf outing?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:58:56 AM »
Your first step is over you have your equipment.  Because your new to the area and do not know the lay of the land such as where to fish the first thing would be to ask a local. 

Tell them you are here for a very short time and are looking for a good place to surf fish.  I would try the bait and tackle shops first and try to pick out someone in the shop that is going fishing and try to get information from them.  If the shop has a eatery attached, buy your self a good cup of coffee and start asking questions.  A little time spent in this process will I am sure put a fish on your line.

There are no licences required but you should check their regulations as they might be different than ours and there might be restrictions on areas to fish as well especially for Striped Bass.

Again the first place to stop would be an old Bait and Tackle shop.

Have a great vacation... TT^
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 09:48:40 AM »
I lived in maine for a year and there is  some great fishing up there ,the locals were always more than helpful when t came to pointing you in the right direction.I would ask around when you get in town

Offline tabasco_joe

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 09:59:58 AM »
I probably should add that I would consider taking a day trip or two to the NJ coast prior to heading to Maine.  Not that I wouldn't continue visiting NJ after my vacation.  Any suggestions for a first timer on the NJ coast?

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 10:12:55 AM »
head down to the hook w/ some fresh clams fish the ocean side ,you'll find bass/blues

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 11:06:13 AM »
Island Beach State Park is also very good.  You do not have to have a beach buggie to access the beach.  It is roughly nine miles of fishing fun.  It will cost you $5.00 before the season starts and $6.00 during the season.

Once you pay stop at the main guard shack and ask for a map of the park it will show parking areas where you can walk onto the beach.  Explain it is your firrst time there and for the most part they will tell you the conditions and where the fishing is good enough to try your luck.

You will notice parking areas along the way each parking area has access to the beach.  Try A7, there is a boardwalk out to the beach area and is usually pretty good.

Best bait right now is clams.  There are quite a few places to buy them along the route to the park they are all good.  Just pick Bait & Tackle Shop before you get close to the park there are no shops right there.

Good luck where ever you try. right now the fishing is good all up and down the coast the water finally reached 52 deg over the weekend so now is the time to try your luck.

Happy angling... TT^
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-