Author Topic: sharks in the surf  (Read 21307 times)

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
Re: sharks in the surf
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 01:33:59 AM »
Actually, next weekend might be the best bet for me, since I will be working Monday through Friday, 7 pm to 7 am this coming week. that means I would have to sleep during the day next Saturday, and would be wide awake for some night time fishing. Let me know what you guys want to do. I guess I am in trouble with 30 lb test!  ???
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 09:28:58 PM »
sean can you do it on friday? we are going to do it friday night, my partner leaves on saturday and doesnt want to miss this. i hope you can make it

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 11:40:34 PM »
Thats next Friday?  What time and where ya going to meet?

Sean, If you want to go out Sat evening next week I will make sure I'm open, just let me know what is best for you I am flexible.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 12:34:48 AM »
I wish I could do Friday, but I cannot cut outta work....it is overtime for me and I cannot afford to miss twelve hours of time and a half...  :'( ... But I hope that you guys can work out another trip later in the year....I will look forward to hear about this trip and it will give you guys the chance to work the kinks out! Paul, I am pretty sure Saturday works for me and I will have some other available days as well that week. I will send you my schedule later and we can decide what night is good.
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 06:41:48 AM »
that stinks sean, i know all about overtime though. we will start setting up around 7 oclock friday in the area of a10 out on island beach. i'm pretty sure that there will be a nice showing of people, i have recieved a bunch of emails. mabey even a film crew. my house smells like a fish factory i was blending bunker up last night, making chum blocks. i will be bringing a generator, lights, and i think even a grill. anyone who would like to join us is welcome. we will have 3 surf rockets with us, so we can get lots of chum out there, and people can use them while we are doing our thing. my main goal is too hook up with a nice shark, but with all that chum you never know what will show up. if you would like to use your rod with our system please have a min of 30lb braid spooled up.  hey paul did you read that article nick wrote in the paper. if he got broke off with 125lb wire what do you think i should use. i'm planning wire with a haywire twist, what do you think.  its sharkin time, i need that kiss,lol.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 06:48:21 AM »
Good luck guys
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 08:32:22 AM »
that stinks sean, i know all about overtime though. we will start setting up around 7 oclock friday in the area of a10 out on island beach. i'm pretty sure that there will be a nice showing of people, i have recieved a bunch of emails. mabey even a film crew. my house smells like a fish factory i was blending bunker up last night, making chum blocks. i will be bringing a generator, lights, and i think even a grill. anyone who would like to join us is welcome. we will have 3 surf rockets with us, so we can get lots of chum out there, and people can use them while we are doing our thing. my main goal is too hook up with a nice shark, but with all that chum you never know what will show up. if you would like to use your rod with our system please have a min of 30lb braid spooled up.  hey paul did you read that article nick wrote in the paper. if he got broke off with 125lb wire what do you think i should use. i'm planning wire with a haywire twist, what do you think.  its sharkin time, i need that kiss,lol.

You are killin me  rgmn rgmn rgmn ..... I am gonna have to see if I can switch this coming Sunday  for next Friday w/ someone .... That is my last hope at this point. I am gonna do my best , I thought it was just me you and Paul that were thinkin about this trip, but you got a whole event in the works ..... I will see what I can do.....keep your fingers crossed for me!
Steven Wright

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 03:25:37 PM »
Hey Surfrocket,

125# wire should be enough.  I don't think it was the weight of the fish but the thrashing of its head and twisting of its body that snapped the wire.  I would think heavy Flouro or mono would be just as good if not better only because unlike wire the flexing back and forth will not heat up the flouro enough to cause it to weaken and break like wire.

Sufix makes a leader line up to 650# if you need it that heavy.  You would use heavy duty crimps to secure it to whatever you use with a loop.

Only my own personal opinion.

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 11:11:04 AM »
sean i really hope you can make it. as for the whole event thing, people always say they are showing up, but most usually dont. with this though there has been alot of hype about sharkin from the surf so i guess we will see. eithery it should be a great time. i have 150# floro, i think. do you really think that will be sufficiant. i am going to make the baits up a few ways, i just dont want to loose the fish. i dont want over kill either though. paul what about lead, big sinkers or free float them. when you free float them they move in the current real fast. i can set up the baits on 6 foot plus of leader after the sinker. also should we use whole bunker or big chunks. bigger bait bigger fish. i can also set up bluefish chunks. i will have bunker and bluefish chum made up. let me know what you think. 

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 12:07:37 PM »
see just got a few cancelations just now, no tv guys. they are doing a tour somewhere, wont be back until the 25th.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 01:22:31 PM »
Maybe Capt. Mike or Capt. Joe can help out on this since they know sharking.  I think that no matter what pound fluorocarbon you use, it won't be effective for sharks.   5hrug

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 02:24:24 PM »
i think wire myself

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 03:21:49 PM »
I got coverage at work.... so IM IN AGAIN...WOOHOO  t^ t^ t^
Steven Wright

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2008, 08:37:50 AM »
thats great sean.I was talking to my cousin, who if you can get past the fish stories is one of the best fisherman I know. he said to use 100# to 125# wire leader no longer than 18 inches attached to a longer floro leader,and use a 10 ''o'' circle hook. he claims in the early 70's and threw the 80's he caught makos on 20lb mono. I said fish stories but who knows.I was able to net up 20 more big bunker yesterday, now i just need to make more molds.I think i'm creating a monster my daughter was grinding them up last night in the blender for me. I'll tell ya its funny she is four, she cant tye her shoes but she can make up a high low rig. tye the loops. its funny she could tell you anything you want to know about fishing and drag racing.and then ask you to paint her nails, lol. anyway if there are sharks in the area we should do ok.

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2008, 10:50:03 AM »
How many people are going? I know nothing of the area and will need to hitch a ride from someone once we get to a meeting place. I need to figure out a meeting place and time so that I can Goole - Map it and get my trip planned. Le4t me know what I need to do and it will be done!! I am pretty stoked for this trip!
Steven Wright

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2008, 11:02:32 AM »
yeah i am excited too. as for the amount of people showing up i'm not sure, it could be a bunch or not that many regaurdless we will have a blast. we will set up in the area of A10 as per Pauls advise. I will be out there around 7 pm, you can ride in with me if you would like. to just be able to drive in the park i dont think it costs that much, but you would have to walk on. i can meet you inside or outside what ever you perfer. my cell # is 732 406 6879, you can get me pretty much anytime, unless im working in the jail. no cell phones allowed inside. this really should be a great night.i need to finish making up the chum and start making the rigs.

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
CANT WAIT !!! I am going to the sporting goods store today to see what I can get together since I will be working tonight till friday morning so today is my only chance to get er done. I will call you later this week and we can talk about the details.

Steven Wright

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2008, 11:02:02 PM »
sounds great. i have to hit the store myself and get the stuff for the rigs. i am going to try the sportsman center in bordentown at lunch time tomorow. hopefully they have my hooks in. paul will you be joining us friday? you guys should see my freezer right now, thank god im single again. lol. i should put up some pics,there is around 50 bunker in there right now awaiting their trip to the blender.my x stopped by yesterday and opened the freezer only to get pumbled by falling frozen bunker. lol. i cant wait for this night, its gonna be fun fun fun.. i hope we hook up.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2008, 11:32:34 PM »
It sounds like I will be able to be there for the festivities just let me know the spot and time, I think you said around A10.  That is a good spot as there is a nice hole right off the sign.  Just give me a time.

Sean if you want to ride with me on the beach let me know and we can meet up somewhere up here.  As far as Google maps just get onto Rt 37 east and go all the way across the bridges stay to your right and follow that around till the road straightens out and look for Grumpys right after the first traffic light it is on the left.  Park in the middle (median) and I will either be waiting or if Grumpys is open, inside BSing.

Or if you want you can meet me at my home and we can ride there from here. I am only about 10 or so minutes from Grumpys in Toms River  I can PM you my address.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2008, 05:25:28 PM »
sean, i got your pm this morning,for some reason i couldnt respond. any way, i will have anything you guys will need, bait and rigs. if you would like to bring stuff to fish the surf without the sr thats cool too. i think i may even bring a set up or two to do the same. i picked up enough stuff today at lunch to make up 25 rigs with bait. thats hooks leaders the whole schabang. i just may need to pick up more lead not sure yet though. i will have all the launchable stuff so dont worry with that. Paul I will be out there around 7pm starting to set up. in the area of a10 as we discussed. i will have a blue and white ford pickup and a red expadition. we can make a fire out there in that area right?? i will try to get more stuff to make up more baits,we will see time wise. making up all this stuff is alot of work with my schedual.i will freeze up the baits on thursday night keeping those bunker fresh as possible,and will try to set some shots up for fresh chunks. with all the chum i plan on popping out there the surf may be loaded with fish, never no. i dont know if we will need more than 25 big baits to launch out there but i will give it my best. you guys got my number call any time or even text me if you want. i have a date with my daughter now talk to you guys in a bit.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-