Author Topic: sharks in the surf  (Read 21308 times)

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
Re: sharks in the surf
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 03:50:39 AM »
Thanks Paul and Ken,

This trip is going to be an educational trip for me so I am gonna bring just about everything that I own and have you guys take a look and tell me what is what. Some of the things that I have are no-brainers, but some of it is old and I am not sure if it is even worth keeping. I have always fished from boats and this year is the first year that I have been surf fishing in a big way. I am enjoying myself, but I also haven't had the best of luck since I have not caught anything that most people would consider "worth keeping". Anyhow, you guys are gonna be my "YODA and OBI-WAN" Friday night. As for a ride onto the beach, I should probably meet you guys at the park and ride in with whoever from there. I am the type of guy who likes to stay until no-one else wants to stay, so I need a ride outta the park with the "LAST MAN STANDING" if that is OK!I am also kinda nervous about how long it will take me to get there considering it will be a FRIDAY NIGHT and I am not sure what the Shore Traffic is gonna be like coming from my house. I have to come both North and East....Any suggestions on time to leave and how to go, send me the map!
My Address is:

16 E. 5th Ave.
Pine Hill, NJ
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 10:34:09 AM »
Hi Sean,

The directions are fairly simple.  Take Rt 73 to Rt 70 East.  Stay on 70 till you reach the 70 Rt 37 circle.  Take Rt 37 East all the way till you come to a Y in the road stay to the right as this will be Rt 35 south. follow this all the way to the park. Two hints, 1) make sure to stick to the speed limit of 25 as they love to give out tickets along that stretch and 2) stay in the left lane as there are lane changes in the right.

The access road to get onto the beach at that point would be A7.  There is a parking lot right there so if you want to access the park (5 or 6 bucks) and park there one of us can pick up up and transport you to the launch site (hahaha).

Or I could meet you at Grumpys where you can park and we can put your things into the expedition and ride into the park.  It is up to you.

Any questions feel free to call, 732-684-0385.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2008, 07:52:39 PM »
i think those directions are right on the money. my fingers are really sore i tied 50 haywire twists with that wire, today. ouch.lol. i am going to try and make another 25 rigs tomorow, have to get back to the store almost out of supplies. my new name should be assembly line, lol. for the actual baits i'm not getting the bunker until thursday, to keep up on the freshness. i need to give tom at grumpys tomorow a shout,to make sure he will have 50 fresh bunker for me to make the baits. otherwise i will have to launch the boat thursday after work and go net me some up. i hope thats not the case but what ever. WERE GOIN SHARKIN, from the beach. I cant wait. I also need to grab more lead, paul do you think i should make all the baits with big weights. i plan on putting 6 to 8 ozs on each rig, but do you think we will be ok if i use 3 and 4 ozs on some of them? the rigs i have made so far are 124 lb toothy wire 18 inches long, with  10 o gamis, octopuss, followed up by 6 foot of 100lb and 125 lb mono. i think we will be good with that. let me know what you think about the lead, mind you there is whole bunker on the hooks for the most part, mabey a few chunks.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2008, 11:51:47 PM »
Hey Ken,

I think 3's and 6's would be good enough as I would think you would want them to drift just a little.  If the current is running and just looked at the tides it will be going out where low will be a little after 9:30 PM. so your chum will be going out as well.  Will you be targeting closer to shore and firing the hooked bait out a little further?  Or just firing both the same?

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2008, 12:01:08 AM »
One important thing guys, "DON"T FORGET THE BUG SPRAY", the "GREENHEAD FLIES and MOSQUITOES" are out in force this time of year.

It would be better if you wore long pants and a long sleeve shirt.  If it is hot then spray.

My choice is Deep Woods as it has the most amount of DEET in it at 25%
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 12:02:45 AM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2008, 12:41:51 AM »
yeah know all about the flies, we can have a fire there right. hopefully that will help. thanks for the tide info, that was on my list. with the tide going out, what we will do is start chumming out far, and work our way in to the surf. then load it up just past the breakers and let the current pull it out. we will put the baits out as far as we can and let the slick keep running threw them. i will be putting pics up in a few of my chum mess.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2008, 12:49:14 AM »
 t^
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2008, 12:49:28 AM »
Can't wait to see the mess! Sharks are know for there sense of smell, so is deet a real good idea? I am guessing if you want a big fish, you have to put up with a few mosquito bites! I have firewood at home that I can bring if you would like me too. Also, I would like to bring food for the fire since you have done so much for this trip already. Let me know what you think!
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008, 01:19:54 AM »
here is the mess,lol. i'm sure these pics will help me with the ladies,lol. yeah sean bring what you would like, we are bringing some dogs and sodas, i will never turn away good eats. i will also be bringing wood for the fire, its gonna be a long night, so anything will help. i will be out there till the end as well, so dont worry about the ride off to your car. if we catch something good mabey we can plan a bbq. ive never kept a shark before, but that story about the lemon peppered shark on the george made my belly rumble,lol.

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2008, 01:29:02 AM »
Dude....those are by far the best pics that i have seen to date on this website..... I would love to see my wifes face if she opened the fridge and found that mess LOL.... I will make sure to bring some " Good Eats " and firewood as well. I have your phone number saved in my cell, so I will call you when I hit the road on Friday, and I will give Paul a shout as well. The directions seem easy enough, but I am a bit concerned about traffic since it is a Friday and you never know what to expect when heading towards any of the NJ shore points! I will be sure to get an early start and if I get there before everybody, then I will just hang out until one of you guys gets there to pick me up. I am SUPERSTOKED baout this trip man.... still can't beleive that I got someone to switch nights with me so that I can make it there. See you all soon... grtn chrz >:D ;D ;) TT^ slt
Steven Wright

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2008, 01:34:20 AM »
Hey Sean, the traffic should not be too bad now that it is after the holiday.  Not a walk in the park but lately it has been manageable for us locals.

See you at Grumpys?  Or at A6-7 Parking Lot?

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2008, 01:36:33 AM »
benifits of being single,lol. i'm super stoked myself, its gonna be a good time.my x worked in the er i know how hard it was for her to get time off and coverage. i am happy you got the time, we are going to have a blast,lol,lol.

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2008, 01:46:31 AM »
If grumpy,s works for everybody, and I won't get towed outta there, than that is fine with me. I will be able to do a little browsing while I wait, and we can go from there. If I gotta pay a couple of bucks to get into the park to make things easier, well that is fine too. You guys just tell me what to do and I will do it. Thanks Yoda, Thanks Obi Wan... I look forward to learning the ways of the force!
Steven Wright

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2008, 01:42:36 PM »
Either way works Sean Skywalker.

If you want to brows around Grumpys thats OK I will probably be there round 6:30 or so.  If you park just across the street in the center you will not get towed.  There is a 30 minute parking limit right in front of the store.

Again don't forget your bug spray.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2008, 06:07:01 PM »
may the scwartz be with us all friday. i'm in the process of making 25 more rigs, so we should have 50 baits for the night. let me tell you my house stinks ppppppppuuuuuuuuuuu. i let 30 bunker thaw out last night on the counter and put them in the fridge this morning. my neighbors probally think i'm running a brothel, lol.do you smell fish,lol. i should be ready tonight with everything,accept for the baits. i will either go to grumpys tomorow and get the 50 bunker or i will launch the boat in the navasink and nett em up. i want them to be fresh as can be. i have a little honey stoppin by tonight, we will see what she is made of when she sees my house for the first time. boy she has no idea what she is walkin into, bunker everywhere, lol. if i'm good i'll get her to clean my fridge and kitchen with bleach. we shall see. ok i'm goin back to work, you guys have a great night.

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2008, 01:20:39 AM »
surprisingly my night went very well, turns out this chick has fished all over the world.my heart skipped a beat a few times listining to her stories. she even offered me her freezer to store baits tomorow night.what a gal,let me tell ya. i'm a REEL romantic, our first date she talked to me as I blended bunker and tied rigs. Crazy as the night was this was my first so called date in over 7 years. Monday night after work we will be heading out for a much better night

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2008, 01:57:37 AM »
SHE'S A KEEPER !! Hope she is at least 28 inches tall...LOL  rofla I will be coming up in my Wrangler.... such a shame that I can't buy a one day pass to drive on the beach, I would love to bring my Truck out there for the party...  :'( See you guys on Friday!!! slt
Steven Wright

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2008, 02:03:57 AM »
they do have a three day pass not sure of the price though.

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2008, 02:09:23 AM »
I didn't know that, but that is good to know. I will look into it and see if it is worth it but I am guessing I would need them to inspect my truck for all of the safety crap and I wouldn't have time to get my act together. Will be getting a pass to drive on the beaches at Corson's Inlet in the fall, so maybe you guys can come down for a part two fishing trip for the fall stripers!
Steven Wright

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2008, 02:37:14 AM »
I'll be there. Yeah I have never been checked but you have to have a jack, plywood i think 16*16 inches, may be less a fire ext, first aid kit, tow rope, flash light, tire guage, and a shovel. hopefully by fall my life will have settled down and i can get more fishing in. have a good night buddy.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-