Author Topic: Trouble after trolling  (Read 11339 times)

Offline Quadruplecccc

Trouble after trolling
« on: June 23, 2008, 08:30:44 AM »
Was slow idling around sailboats snagging bunker for a little over an hour. It was time to get going but the boat fell flat on it's face once I got her up to about 1/4 throttle. Tried many times to get her going but she would respond. I shut her down , pulled the plugs which seemed fine. Tried again, then she quit. Found some water in the fuel ,cleaned it out and tried again. Motor had som time to cool down till I got all this done. Finally got  her fired up and away she went. As long as I don't idle or troll for prolonged time she is fine but when she gets hot at slow speeds it's another story. It'sa 351 windsor I/O .New water pump in lower unit, new manifolds and elbows .What else might cause this condition to occur????    HELP!!   Thanks

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
Re: Trouble after trolling
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:38:49 AM »
sounds like bad gas. did you just fill up?
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 09:21:12 AM »
water in the fuel...
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:37:27 AM »
Sounds like it's getting too hot. Need to make sure the water pump belt is tight. Do you have two water pumps? One on the engine and one raw water to bring it up to the engine.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 09:40:06 AM »
Did you do the thermostat with the water pump?

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 11:04:43 AM »
should not get hot at slow speeds unless minimal coolant circulation- stuck tstat, clogged heat exch, manifold, riser (yep even when new sometimes.) Maybe one or both water pumps is not up to spec (yep also even when new sometimes)

is it raw water cooled only, or raw water to antifreeze system? Either way start at the raw water intake and work your way up to troubleshoot. Chances are it's not the antifreeze side unless it's the Tstat.

If it's just bogging off idle but not hot it is likely the carb float level wrong or stuck open (if carbed) or could be bad fuel...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:07:04 AM by wb »

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 11:07:09 AM »
 whs

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Quadruplecccc

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 07:30:07 PM »
It's raw water cooled. I'm on the second lower unit water pump with same results. T-stat is a 140* temp and opens up cause motor temp never exceeds 150*. Had this problem last year once on fresh fuel. This year I had nearly half tank of left over fuel that I added fresh to. As  stated I did pull about 6oz of water out of the seperator.
Nevr really gave the water pump on the motor a thought . No indication of trouble. How would I check to see if it is working properly? Wouldn't it be ovrheating on a regular basis if it doesn't work?

Offline Quadruplecccc

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 07:37:10 PM »
Also replaced the manifolds and elbows two seasons ago. Boat is trailered and flushed after each use in salt.
Just thinking out loud here but, if the motor is getting this hot for whatever reason, would this cause the fuel to cook off before it gets to the cylinders making it buck and starve for fuel?? 5hrug

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 07:42:54 PM »
The high rpm's could move the water thru enough to keep it cool. How far do you run on high rpm, Miles like off shore or not even 5? It may not have time to over heat. I am no boat mech, but if it was my boat, I would put the muffs on, pull a hose from the water pump or riser and see if you have water flow. Any signs of water in the oil. Best to check that is pull the oil fill cap or look at the top of the dip stick and look for white or cream color on them.

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »
Also replaced the manifolds and elbows two seasons ago. Boat is trailered and flushed after each use in salt.
Just thinking out loud here but, if the motor is getting this hot for whatever reason, would this cause the fuel to cook off before it gets to the cylinders making it buck and starve for fuel?? 5hrug

Yes it could, how dose it crank when this happens? Is it slow or normal?

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Quadruplecccc

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 08:02:30 PM »
No water in oil as of yet (luckily) I run from A,H,  out to Romer . Sat. I ran from Flynns to Keansburg and back with no oveheat.I think that would be close to 14 mi.
When this problem shows up she starts like a bear. Bad enough that I start to get a little worrried!

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 08:25:55 PM »
When you say starts like a bear, do you mean hard to start or cranks slow?

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Quadruplecccc

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 09:15:29 PM »
barely turns over. like it's vapor locked

Offline Duffman

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 09:28:51 PM »
 Your getting water into the cylinders - headgasket, manifold, risers....

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 05:15:10 AM »
OK if it hard to crank( does not spin) then if you let it sit for awhile and then it spins and starts(runs) and you do nothing but let it sit.
Then you have one of two things going on.
1: The engine is overheated. Have to find why the water is not going thru the engine. One thing that can happen but not common is the impeller on the main engine water pump is loose on the shaft and only spins while the engine is at high rpm.
2: Your battery is not charging. If an alternator is not working. (loose belt, regulator or just no good) and you have a good battery the charge on the battery will come back after sitting and crank the engine.
It sounds to me you are dealing with #1
If it was a cracked riser or bad head gasket most but not all times you would get water on top of the piston and it would make a load thud when you try to crank it and the it would not spin. You need to check the water flow. See if you can in stall a water pressure gauge to check it. Or pull off hoses one at a time to see where you lose the water. BE CARFUL YOU DON’T GET SPRAYED WITH THE HOT WATER.   
Hope this helps.

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 07:44:53 AM »
I was thinking about this. Are you sure you don’t have a raw water pump? It should be belt driven and may look like a power steering pump. I don’t know a lot about I/O’s but I pretty sure the out drive just has water intake ports. I think your problem is in the water system where the water is not moving. Do you have a water temp gauge on the boat and does it have a carb or fuel injection?

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Quadruplecccc

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 08:11:46 AM »
Motor is carbed with a new 2bbl holley. Lower unit has a water pump with an impeller which was just seviced. Motor has a water pump onthe front similar to one you would see on a car or truck. Does not have a pump looking anything like a power steering pump on it. I'm thinking that the pump on the motor is used to circulate the water that the external water pump is sending up. I'm sort of leaning toward a  bad water pump on motor or a clogged intake that will not allow propper flow to keep it cool. What do you think on this?

Offline Quadruplecccc

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 08:15:06 AM »
Temp gauge works. I whatch it climb as the motor warms. It climbs to about 150* and holds there.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 08:21:40 AM »
You need to find out if you water at the temp sender when this happens. If there is no water at the sender you are not getting a good reading. 150 seams cold, that makes me think you dont have water there.

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-