Author Topic: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports  (Read 548414 times)

Offline brian8980

• The Gimper
Re: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports
« Reply #600 on: October 13, 2009, 08:02:47 PM »
i might have to get one for the wife  ;)
The trouble with fishing is it was better before you got there, and after you left.
When in doubt...exaggerate

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #601 on: October 13, 2009, 08:04:22 PM »
i might have to get one for the wife  ;)

cfzd

;D

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #602 on: October 13, 2009, 11:54:10 PM »
Nice catch Jason!  Whistle...camera sounds really cool!  Better than sonar ;D.

As for the shirts... >:D cfzd hhppy

TT^

Offline Whistlefish

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #603 on: October 14, 2009, 09:14:36 AM »

TT^

The camera is a blast if there's a population down there. The funniest thing is watching the blackfish that are aware of it. They are curious. If you can hold it into the current a tog will come right up to it and stare. Up above you see this big face with the lips, buck teeth, and bulging eyes filling the TV screen. Almost like a cartoon character. We used it well in the summer, saved us a lot of time with crabless bay bottom.

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #604 on: October 14, 2009, 09:49:40 AM »
The shop T-shirt   

I got  crabs from the ---------

For the ladies:
 --------             
Jammin out with my clam out!

any suggestions let me know ....
thud rofla  Thniking you may want to clean up the ladies a..  Tad  ;D

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #605 on: October 14, 2009, 09:51:20 AM »
I'd like to see that camera in action.  Gotta be sweet to watch the fish take your bait!  t^
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline axl169

« Reply #606 on: October 14, 2009, 10:19:41 AM »
Hey All,
I am new to this forum and well, new to NJ in general.  I was reading up on this forum, great information but can someone tell me where the  train bridge and 35 Bridge is located?  I looked at the google map on the very first post but can't make heads or tails of these landmarks.  Also, is night fishing allowed?  Do I need any permits to park at night?  Thanks you in advance!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:24:00 AM by axl169 »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #607 on: October 14, 2009, 11:31:14 AM »
Welcome axl169! t^  The train bridge is at Rt. 35 & Broadway.   There is  7-11 right across  from it.  You're not supposed to fish on the bridge itself.  There is a parking lot there.  And you can fish there anytime. ;D

Offline NJHEMIRT

« Reply #608 on: October 14, 2009, 11:43:06 AM »
I think the guys t-shirt is a winner!   t^
that and your nice logo on it.  dont think that ladies one would go over too well--hahahaha. 

here are some other rejected ideas for ladies shirts:
I throw my clam in the surf...
Got crabs? I do!
Nice rod!

I think the canal will have huddled masses under the bridges if the rains come down hard.
Thanks Dad for taking me fishing as a kid!

Offline fathergll

« Reply #609 on: October 14, 2009, 12:19:29 PM »

TT^

The camera is a blast if there's a population down there. The funniest thing is watching the blackfish that are aware of it. They are curious. If you can hold it into the current a tog will come right up to it and stare. Up above you see this big face with the lips, buck teeth, and bulging eyes filling the TV screen. Almost like a cartoon character. We used it well in the summer, saved us a lot of time with crabless bay bottom.

http://www.aquavu.com/Products/Portable-Viewing-Systems/

I never even heard of that thing until you mention it.

How useful has it been for you fishing wise? Is it more of a cool toy? I could see it being useful at times. Have you tried it off the Wall at Point Pleasant?

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #610 on: October 14, 2009, 03:07:25 PM »
ladies:

"I always get the best rod at JHO"

Offline Whistlefish

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #611 on: October 14, 2009, 03:33:30 PM »
fathergll

It's a neat toy in a way but it does have excellent resolution. If the water is real murky then it's useless. The canal appears a lot brighter on the camera than it looks from the surface. It's got infrared so night vision is very good. We never tried it at the inlet because you can't really move around much there if the fishing is decent. Usually, you get where you stop. I haven't found fluke to be too close in there but they're usually in the sand anyway. The blackfish are limited to the rocks that you cannot get too with the camera and the waves will knock it to hell. We've used it in the Shrewsbury and Barneget while crabbing. If you can keep it steadied, you'll see if there are any crabs moving in. We've swept the bottom and seen nothing, got nothing after awhile and moved, picking up some crabs. The problem is keeping it aimed. It has fins to stabilize it so you're not seeing a swirling blur, but it doesn't do a very good job. A solution, which I keep forgetting to attempt, is to get a 10' section of that thin walled PVC pipe and run the cable up it after making notches in the pipe for the fins. A rubber band up over it will then keep it still. Just lowering the pipe will then give you a reverse periscope effect. Meaning, turn left and you know exactly where you're looking. 10 ft would be enough for the canal or bay. It can be rigged on the cable to view horizontal or straight down, just in case the bottom is deeper that it's capacity. It was 99 bucks, and when you think about what most hardcores spend at this activity, that is a drop in the bucket. When we last went to the canal, we dropped it and saw fish everywhere. Bigger ones too. Yet, we did not get a single bit for almost an hour. I would have moved if not for what I saw on camera. Same applied to later on when the bite stopped. The camera showed they were still there, just not interested. The ripping tide and setting sun turned them off.

Offline Whistlefish

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #612 on: October 14, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »

TT^

http://www.aquavu.com/Products/Portable-Viewing-Systems/

I never even heard of that thing until you mention it.

How useful has it been for you fishing wise? Is it more of a cool toy? I could see it being useful at times. Have you tried it off the Wall at Point Pleasant?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91309

Try this. It's 20 bucks more but has a charger. Ours runs on 10 C batteries for 10 hours. It has an adapter for a 12V battery also. This sounds like a better deal throuhg as it has a carrying case which mine didn't. They're all probably make in the same factory outside of Shanghai anyway It does work well but if I had my druthers, the one with a charger would be the way to go.

Offline rb4452

« Reply #613 on: October 15, 2009, 12:06:05 PM »
I was down at canal the last couple of nights.
We were catching bass..... just hate when you do get one, and by the time you get it in the truck you lose your spot cause someone gets on the cell phone and calls all of there friends. Its ok though they came they fished if you can call it that, and left with no fish. As soon as they moved went back and got 2 more keepers..... ha ha ha ha ha.... 90% of fish still caught by 10% of the fisherman..... TT^ rgmn

Offline PhillyMike

« Reply #614 on: October 15, 2009, 12:28:16 PM »
Went last Monday, Rich set us up with the crabs and rigs. We did great with the blackfish.

Do you guys think it is worth going to the canal this weekend or will the bad weather make it a waste of time?

Offline Whistlefish

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #615 on: October 16, 2009, 09:46:05 AM »
Went last Monday, Rich set us up with the crabs and rigs. We did great with the blackfish.

Do you guys think it is worth going to the canal this weekend or will the bad weather make it a waste of time?

The fish are there, but with the wind and rain, it's going to be weed, weed, weed. You put your line down for a minute or two and five pounds of salad attachs. I used to make the trip and would get disgusted with all the cleaning and no catching. Years ago I lived in Long Branch, two blocks from a jetty, so it was no big deal to hit the beach in bad weather. Blackfish don't mind it, but if there's a lot of weed in the surf, canal, or river, it's difficult to get the bait in front of them. I drive from Bucks County, which is not bad, but if you're driving from Philly................

Offline tm613

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #616 on: October 16, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
I drive in from Bucks County as well.  Where are you coming from , I'm in Fairless Hills.  less than an hour from my house to the canal..

Think it may be worth it to try for stripers in the canal on Sat night?

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #617 on: October 16, 2009, 12:42:25 PM »
Go to the beachfront, striper fishing should be good this weekend with this northeast wind.
Mark

Offline SharkHart

« Reply #618 on: October 16, 2009, 03:33:05 PM »
The water both front and back is going to be chocolate milk until Monday, I really cant see how some anglers think this could be good fishing.

Offline Whistlefish

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #619 on: October 17, 2009, 09:15:37 AM »
The water both front and back is going to be chocolate milk until Monday, I really cant see how some anglers think this could be good fishing.

mmmmmmmmmmm....chocolate milk and salad, sounds like good fishing.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-