Author Topic: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports  (Read 549303 times)

Offline cyban88

Re: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports
« Reply #780 on: August 31, 2011, 10:52:45 PM »
Fished the canal this afternoon.  Caught a total of 9 tog, all short.  Biggest one was 13.5, all on clams.  Soon we should see some keepers in the canal!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #781 on: August 31, 2011, 10:58:37 PM »
Nice... wa

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #782 on: August 31, 2011, 11:11:43 PM »
Glad to hear Cyban.
Thanks for the report and welcome aboard.

Heading down to PP for Seafood Fest Weekend again and am planning to fish the canal.

Keep up reports.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline L.T.

• AKA Laker Taker
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #783 on: September 01, 2011, 06:44:23 AM »
 whs One of my favorite fishing spots.
Forgive your enemy but, remember the bastard's name.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #784 on: September 01, 2011, 09:43:42 AM »
9 short Tog is always better then no Tog. Thanks for the report. <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline fishdoctor

« Reply #785 on: September 03, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »
3 pound triggerfish on clams!  Also, some very short togs on clam.  Got hit on green crab but could not get one to commit.  Nice morning to be out. Water quality is not too good in canal. Inlet looked clean but no fish.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #786 on: September 03, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
Are you guys fishing in boats or off the walls? I've only been blackifishing once(last year) and my boats a little small to be going into the ocean so if there's a place to catch them off land I'm in.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #787 on: September 03, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »
Good stuff Fishdoc!

Al, I've had some success with the tog in the canal from land.  I accessed it just off Arnold Ave.
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #788 on: September 04, 2011, 12:08:41 AM »
Are you guys fishing in boats or off the walls? I've only been blackifishing once(last year) and my boats a little small to be going into the ocean so if there's a place to catch them off land I'm in.

Hey BigAl check out the very first post by Hotrod on this thread from 06/28/08
Great info that I used last year to find a sweet spot to fish from on the canal.  t^ Info was on the money as of last Sept. And good luck. chrz
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline FishOn

« Reply #789 on: September 05, 2011, 03:22:07 PM »
Fished the morning slack today....Triggerfish ceviche for dinner tonight. Also caught some short tog, seabass, porgies, and oyster crackers
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #790 on: September 05, 2011, 03:34:41 PM »
Nice! t^
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline trentool

« Reply #791 on: September 05, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »
Late report. Was at canal on Friday at low tide with some friends. One guy got 20 plus short blacks. I got 3, all green crabs and one on clam. Water was somewhat dirty. Throw in a few sea bass,toads and a porgy. The Friday before storm was 9 blacks on crab with one for dinner. Always a fun day.

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #792 on: September 05, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »
Nice report and welcome grtn

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #793 on: September 05, 2011, 11:21:23 PM »
 t^
Thomas Jefferson

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #794 on: September 05, 2011, 11:30:59 PM »
Aswome guys thanks. Now I know where to go but what is the gear I'm thinking 7-7 1/2 med rod 40-50lb braid tied to 30-40 lb mono 6 oz lead 4/0 hook am I in the ball park or ligther gear there. When I make the trek there ill be coming from union beach so I want to make sure I got the goods with me. Thanks for any info.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline FishOn

« Reply #795 on: September 06, 2011, 02:02:32 AM »

Aswome guys thanks. Now I know where to go but what is the gear I'm thinking 7-7 1/2 med rod 40-50lb braid tied to 30-40 lb mono 6 oz lead 4/0 hook am I in the ball park or ligther gear there. When I make the trek there ill be coming from union beach so I want to make sure I got the goods with me. Thanks for any info.

The gear you have sounds fine. Though the hooks are far too big for day time
bottom fishing. I see guys using heavier and much lighter though I'd err on the side of heavier. For tog fishing I use a medium heavy 8'6" baitcaster loaded with 30 lb power pro.  I like the longer rod for leverage.  Keep the terminal gear simple as you will loose alot of them. Swivel to dropper loop to perfection loop. Loop to loop a #4 or 5 tog hook to the dropper and loop your sinker to the perfection. I don't carry a sinker heavier than 4 ounces there. If heavier is needed you are there at the wrong time.   I use a shorter rod when bass or blue fishing when casting is required as there are alot of overhead and behind your back snags. Stop in at --------- b&t on rt 88 and he will set you up with what you need. Bait varies day to day so come prepared. And please carry out what you carry in. Too many slobs fish there already.  
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 02:05:14 AM by FishOn »
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #796 on: September 06, 2011, 07:41:43 AM »

The gear you have sounds fine. Though the hooks are far too big for day time
bottom fishing. I see guys using heavier and much lighter though I'd err on the side of heavier. For tog fishing I use a medium heavy 8'6" baitcaster loaded with 30 lb power pro.  I like the longer rod for leverage.  Keep the terminal gear simple as you will loose alot of them. Swivel to dropper loop to perfection loop. Loop to loop a #4 or 5 tog hook to the dropper and loop your sinker to the perfection. I don't carry a sinker heavier than 4 ounces there. If heavier is needed you are there at the wrong time.   I use a shorter rod when bass or blue fishing when casting is required as there are alot of overhead and behind your back snags.  Bait varies day to day so come prepared. And please carry out what you carry in. Too many slobs fish there already.  

t^ Good advice
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:50:57 AM by Bucktail »

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #797 on: September 06, 2011, 09:55:03 PM »
 whs
Good luck t^
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:51:38 AM by Bucktail »
Thomas Jefferson

Offline bigmills

« Reply #798 on: September 09, 2011, 09:03:38 PM »
Fished the just after the tide change this afternoon. I was using salted clam some small fish but the guys across from me were nailing them on crabs some nice ones too. I caught my biggest tog in the canal this summer, 18" on the out going river end on a gulp n buck-tail. I was drifting for fluke and it was not season so....Looks good this fall the porgies should start showing soon too. So I would say crabs are the ticket...

Offline bigmills

« Reply #799 on: September 09, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
Oh I will post this on Pells the best shop in the Brick/Point area good info and tackle

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-