Author Topic: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports  (Read 548441 times)

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports
« on: June 28, 2008, 02:46:54 PM »
Point Pleasant Canal | Fishing Reports

Up to date Fishing Reports From The Point Pleasant Canal.

This first post, will consist of directions and access points to the Point Pleasant canal, and history of the canal, etc. That way it’s easily accessible and not buried within the thread. I will update it periodically. If anyone has an access point and directions, please PM any admin/mod, and we will gladly add it to this post so it can easily be referenced by all on the site that are interested.

==================================================

Easterly Side of the Point Pleasant Canal (Directions)

South end (at the Entrance to northern Barnegat Bay)

From the East side (Ocean side)

Take Route 35 either north or south(depending on what direction you are coming from) into Bay Head. Turn west onto Bridge Ave. Go 2 lights down Bridge Ave. and make a left onto Bay Avenue. Follow Bay Avenue down, and there are 2 spots to park and fish.

1.   You can turn right onto Canal St. and it dead ends into the canal, with parking for about 6 cars right next to the water.

2.   Continue to the end of Bay Ave. and you’ll come to the Condos. There’s public parking at the condos on the right hand side, private parking is marked as such. You will see signs that say ‘public walkway’  and you can access the canal from there. In addition to being able to access the canal the whole length of the Condos, there are 2 wooden fishing decks that are out over the water, and open to the public.

From the West side (Land side)

Take Route 88 either east or west, depending where you are coming from. Turn east onto Bridge Ave. Follow Bridge Ave down to Bay Avenue and make a right. Then use the information in 1 & 2 of  from the east side (above).

North end (at the Mouth of the Manasquan River)

From the East side (Ocean side)

Take Route 35 North or South (depending on where you’re coming from), into the middle of Point Pleasant.  Turn west on Arnold Ave. Continue on Arnold Ave past Clarks Landing till you see Captain Ed’s Place(a restaurant). Turn right at the corner of Captain Eds place onto Pinebluff Ave. Pinebluff dead ends at the Point Pleasant Canal. You have access there from the mouth of the Manasquan River all the way up to the Route 88 Bridge. A word of caution, do NOT park on Pinebluff between the Canal and the first intersection(Bradford), it is a fire lane, and you will be issued a ticket.

From the West side (Land side)

Take Route 88 East heading towards Point Pleasant. As you go over the Canal on Route 88, get in the left lane. First light over the Canal bridge, make a left onto Aronld Ave. Proceed to Captain Ed’s Place(about a quarter mile), and turn left onto Pinebluff Ave.

To be continued

Google map link to the Point Pleasant Canal area:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Point+pleasant+canal&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=62.619483,108.28125&ie=UTF8&ll=40.07331,-74.059396&spn=0.015041,0.026436&z=15

Historical Information on the Point Pleasant Canal:
http://mysite.verizon.net/ppbhistory/time_canal.htm

Tide guide and link for the Point Pleasant Canal:
As far as tides, I use the tide chart for the Coast Guard Station at Manasquan inlet:
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/get_predictions.shtml?year=2008&stn=2812+Sandy%20Hook&secstn=Manasquan+Inlet,+USCG+Station&thh=%2D0&thm=12&tlh=%2D0&tlm=24&hh=*0.86&hl=*0.95&footnote=

Because the Canal drains the entire northern reaches of Barnegat Bay, the tide occurs about 3 to 3 1/2 hours LATER than at the Coast Guard Station. So I use the chart mentioned, and start fishing 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours AFTER any tide listed, when I can. This will give you 3 to 4 hours of fishable water, before the tide really starts ripping. This way you go from a tide/slack water/opposite tide. I prefer outgoing/slack to incoming, but can't be real fussy. Incidentally, slack water lasts less than 5 minutes there, and the tide then starts moving slowly in the opposite direction.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:30:29 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 10:22:29 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:31:09 PM »
love your reports  t^

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 03:18:22 AM »
 t^
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 10:28:47 PM »
Nice report Garry. You have a whole tread dedicated to the canal now. Keep the reports coming.  t^

As far as the loop in the line and wind knots. The best cure for that is to flip the bail by hand instead of with a crank on the reel. After you flip the bail, keep tension on the line. This will eliminate any loops and then subsequent wind knots.

Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline wink_man

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:15:27 PM »

As far as the loop in the line and wind knots. The best cure for that is to flip the bail by hand instead of with a crank on the reel. After you flip the bail, keep tension on the line. This will eliminate any loops and then subsequent wind knots.

Joe, I understand the concept, and I do do that, problem is when the water is running to fast, even doing that, you can get a small loop, and invariably a windknot, as you have to reel in quickly on the slack that develops as the line runs towards you.

Garry

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 06:35:05 AM »
Gotchya Garry. I figured you would know that, but I thought I would put it out there anyway just as a reminder (many of the basics are forgotten at times)and I'm sure there are some who don't know about manually flipping the bail and it would help them.
I understand about getting the line taut quickly in the canal, you don't want it running on the bottom with all them rocks down there to get stuck on.  TT^

Offline wink_man

Re: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports 6-30-08
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:33:19 AM »
The tide was really to late this morning, water wasn't going to be fishable till 7AM. Wind is still blowing south, a little southwest maybe. Boat traffic minimal, water clear as can be, weed minimal also.

Started fishing at a little after 6:30AM, couldn't do a thing with the Fin-S, not even a bluefish. I had one strike that I never felt from a blue, because the Fin-S was slashed. So I put on a 5 1/2 inch rattling rapala floater, in white, and caught a striper about 18-20 inches. This one was out in the canal, not against the wall. Lost him at the net too, LOL, front hook of the rapala got caught in the net before I netted him and off he came, said to my self it's a good thing it wasn't a biggie, you'd be kicking yourself for sure for your ineptness. About a half hour later, caught another striper, about the same size, this one was against the wall, on the rapala. The fish appearred to be higher in the water column today, as the rapala only runs about 4 feet deep maximum. Started working my way out, casting the rapala as I worked out, I just about got a bluefish on every cast from the 88 bridge to Pinebluff Ave(where I exit). Saw a few of my friends, and they said they killed the blues at the mouth of the canal this morning, all you wanted.

Garry

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:49:53 AM »
Another great report

NJDEVIL  >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 05:13:20 PM »
 t^
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 07:21:25 PM »
OK, I'm back and there is a lot of catching up to do.

Way to go Garry, this is the time of year I love.  Plugs and lures work on just about anything out there.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 08:24:35 PM »
Nice report and catch Garry. Welcome back Paul.  t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 11:49:02 PM »
Thanks Joe, glad to be back man am I tired...
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 10:37:21 PM »
Great report Garry!  Nice catch! t^

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 12:53:21 PM »
 chrz You sure know how to fish that canal  chrz

NJDEVIL  >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline seanr8w

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 05:26:10 PM »
Great report...can wait to start reeling in those Weakies!
Steven Wright

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 05:47:31 PM »
Garry nice reports and some really great pictures  t^
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 06:18:23 PM by kezsr »
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline 05cobrajet

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 07:11:44 PM »
Hi Garry,

New to the forum and just wanted to say how informative, interesting and entertaining your posts are about fishing the canal. I'm hooked and can't get enough!
I plan on visiting my Mom in Toms River this 4th of July weekend and was thinking about hitting the canal and giving it a try.
What are the best tides/times for fishing (end of falling or peak of rising???) And where can I get the tide chart for the canal??
Thanks and keep up the awesome info. The pics are great too!!!  chrz

Offline wink_man

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 07:30:57 PM »
Hi Garry,

New to the forum and just wanted to say how informative, interesting and entertaining your posts are about fishing the canal. I'm hooked and can't get enough!
I plan on visiting my Mom in Toms River this 4th of July weekend and was thinking about hitting the canal and giving it a try.
What are the best tides/times for fishing (end of falling or peak of rising???) And where can I get the tide chart for the canal??
Thanks and keep up the awesome info. The pics are great too!!!  chrz

First, welcome to the site and thanks for the kind words. A lot of useful info here and a lot of good people willing to help here, I think you'll like it.

Also a warning, the Canal will be a ZOO on a holiday weekend, both in terms of fisherman, and more importantly, horrendus boat traffic, so don't let it disappoint you.

As far as tides, I use the tide chart for the Coast Guard Station at Manasquan inlet:
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/get_predictions.shtml?year=2008&stn=2812+Sandy%20Hook&secstn=Manasquan+Inlet,+USCG+Station&thh=%2D0&thm=12&tlh=%2D0&tlm=24&hh=*0.86&hl=*0.95&footnote=

Because the Canal drains the entire northern reaches of Barnegat Bay, the tide occurs about 3 to 3 1/2 hours LATER than at the Coast guard station. So I use the chart mentioned, and start fishing 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours AFTER any tide listed, when I can. This will give you 3 to 4 hours of fishable water, before the tide really starts ripping. This way you go from a tide/slack water/opposite tide. I prefer outgoing/slack to incoming, but can't be real fussy. Incidentally, slack water lasts less than 5 minutes there, and the tide then starts moving slowly in the opposite direction.

I fish the canal almost daily, and pretty much fish according to the tides, however when the tides fall at bad times during the day, I have caught fish. I tend to do best when the tides fall very early morning at first light or before, and evening when the right tide falls close to dark.

If a storm is coming in, or a front, anytime just before that front, no matter what time of day is good, provided the tide is right so you can fish it. As I've stated previously, sometimes the water rips through there so hard, it's not fishable.

Garry

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 07:35:42 PM by wink_man »

Offline 05cobrajet

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 07:53:24 PM »

First, welcome to the site and thanks for the kind words. A lot of useful info here and a lot of good people willing to help here, I think you'll like it.

Also a warning, the Canal will be a ZOO on a holiday weekend, both in terms of fisherman, and more importantly, horrendus boat traffic, so don't let it disappoint you.

Because the Canal drains the entire northern reaches of Barnegat Bay, the tide occurs about 3 to 3 1/2 hours LATER than at the Coast guard station. So I use the chart mentioned, and start fishing 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours AFTER any tide listed, when I can. This will give you 3 to 4 hours of fishable water, before the tide really starts ripping. This way you go from a tide/slack water/opposite tide. I prefer outgoing/slack to incoming, but can't be real fussy. Incidentally, slack water lasts less than 5 minutes there, and the tide then starts moving slowly in the opposite direction.

I fish the canal almost daily, and pretty much fish according to the tides, however when the tides fall at bad times during the day, I have caught fish. I tend to do best when the tides fall very early morning at first light or before, and evening when the right tide falls close to dark.

If a storm is coming in, or a front, anytime just before that front, no matter what time of day is good, provided the tide is right so you can fish it. As I've stated previously, sometimes the water rips through there so hard, it's not fishable.

Garry

Thanks for the info and the links Garry. Maybe I'll just stop by and check out the canal and get my bearings intsead of actually doing some hard core fishing...

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-