Author Topic: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports  (Read 549625 times)

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
Re: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2008, 10:54:22 AM »
Again nice report

NJDEVIL  >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2008, 12:30:41 PM »
Nice Garry. Always fun to catch the blues.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2008, 12:44:14 PM »
Nice report, thanks!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2008, 01:17:04 PM »
Yeah, looks like the blue spawn is over and they are coming in with a feeding vengeance.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2008, 01:56:24 PM »
Good stuff there Garry. TT^ Your reports are always a great read  chrz

Offline wink_man

Re: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports 8-01-08 (Morning)
« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2008, 10:25:27 AM »
Hit the inlet this morning at 4:30 AM. Plan was to catch hickory shad, go to the north end of the canal and catch a blue, then go to the south end and liveline a shad for a striper. Put the large live bait tank in the truck yesterday(50 gallon with a 850 GPH aireator).

Shad arrived like clockwork, but didn't stay long, about 15 minutes. I managed like 8, which was more than enough. Went to the north end of the canal. The shad were dying on me, don't know why. Wound up with only 2 fishable shad, therefore never got to the south end of the canal.

Water was clear, tide incoming and to strong to easily fish but doable, wind non existant, weed and cabbage liveable, boat traffic medium.

First shad was hit about 20 steps from Pine Bluff, friend Sam was walking with me. He lurks here and read the reports, LOL. Fish runs, stops and I wait till he moves again to throw the baitcaster in gear and set the hook, as the shad was about 14-15 inches. Bingo, big fish on, and he takes off south and across the canal. He ripped out a lot of line on his initial run. Sam was a little skeptical about the outfit I was using, but after seeing it in action, said it was like a 'musical instrument', LMAO. Fish is 200 feet south of me and across the canal, and here comes a boat, right down the middle of the canal. Sam sprints up ahead and waves the boat to the other side(man he could move for an older guy, even with boots on). Thats the kind of stuff that makes fishing fun and interesting in the canal, tough fishing and always an obstacle (like a boat, or MANY boats, LMAO), and friends helping each other out. Anyways, my outfit made short work of the fish, brought him in, wrapped the 50 LB leader around the small stick I carry and hefted him over the fence. I figured him for 12 pounds, maybe 13, Sam insisted he was bigger.

Fished shad number 2 and got a hit halfway up to the curve, fish ran, stopped, and that was it. Somehow, again, an alligator managed to rip the shad right off the hooks. And that was it, as the rest of my shad died.

Sam wanted this fish so kept it for him, and while I watched him fish, I went to the truck for my scale, as he was still saying it was bigger. Well, Sam was correct, 14 lbs, 8 ounces.

Nice morning with good company between the inlet and the canal, life is good.

Garry

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 03:00:38 PM by wink_man »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2008, 10:51:08 AM »
 t^ grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2008, 10:54:40 AM »
Good job on landing the fish. Sounds like you need a traffic cop out there for the boats.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Ren

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2008, 11:38:29 AM »
 t^ lol...good report garry..
Ren

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2008, 12:54:23 PM »
Nice catch and report...as usual!

TT^

Offline MartyS

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #150 on: August 02, 2008, 10:54:43 AM »
As far as the shad dying...have you ever tried the Frabill Aqua-lung tablets?  They condition and oxygenate the water for up to nine hours.  I've used them with great success on freshwater bait and also killies.

Offline wink_man

« Reply #151 on: August 02, 2008, 12:28:53 PM »
Took a little scouting trip this morning at 10AM, to see if any friends were around and if anyone was doing anything.

Mantaloking bridge was pretty full, people crabbing, and a few people fishing, but didn't stop there, just rode past.

Stopped at the inlet, then the canal. Water clear, wind south, tide just starting at the outgoing at the inlet, incoming at a decent pace at the canal. Weed and cabbage medium both places, boat traffic fairly heavy.

Plenty of short fluke and sea robins to be had at the inlet, a friend I know did catch one keeper fluke earlier in the morning before the water went slack.

Only one guy fishing the north end of the canal. He caught 2 porgies, so looks like they are starting to show there. Also stated that a guy caught a weakfish earlier, about 22 inches, 4 pounds from what he described to me.

Those porgies at just legal size would make a great bait to liveline for the gators in there, and a lot less trouble than trying to carry live bait from the inlet. Just a nice size too, you wouldn't need a stinger hook. He was catching them on sandworms.

Think I will put in an effort to catch weakfish next week, and try to determine what kind of numbers are around there, they appear to be just starting to come in, amazing how late everything is this year.

Marty, have never used the product you mention, I have used 'herring keep'. Oxygen is not an issue with the aireated pump I have, and may all become a moot point if I find weakies next week, but thank you for the tip.

Garry 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 12:31:13 PM by wink_man »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #152 on: August 02, 2008, 01:27:55 PM »
Nice report, thanks!  I am hoping to get out at some point this weekend or next couple of days at night and do some weakfishing as well.

Good Luck!

TT^

Offline wink_man

« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2008, 01:32:44 PM »
Nice report, thanks!  I am hoping to get out at some point this weekend or next couple of days at night and do some weakfishing as well.

Good Luck!

TT^

Yup, I know what you mean. I don't generally fish weekends, however, I'm sitting here, reading a tide chart, seeing a good tide this evening at the canal between 5pm & 8pm, and my favorite weakfish rod is staring at me saying 'take me fishing', just like my kids used to when they were small, so somehow I'm smelling a weakfish expedition to the north end of the canal this evening, LMAO.

Garry

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2008, 01:38:35 PM »
I always have lots of intention to go fishing!  Somehow something or other always gets in the way or delays it.  Evening into night fishing on the weekends are not so bad here, but during the day....forget it!!

TT^

Offline wink_man

Re: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports 8-02-08 (Evening)
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2008, 10:01:42 PM »
Decided to hit the canal late this afternoon, looking for weakies. Stopped at the inlet first, to see if anyone was around. Just a few short fluke being caught, and the tide running about an hour later than normal, due to the new moon I guess.

Hit the canal at 5PM, and water was running kind of fast, but fishable with difficulty with a one ounce jig. Fished till about 5:45 when a looming thunderstorm with lightning in the distance made me decide to go back to the truck(just as the water was getting nice and fishable). Started fishing again at 7PM, and fished in earnest till almost 9PM when the water was running to fast for my liking. Concentrated on the very north end of the canal where it meets the river, and only jigged pink Fin-S, looking for weakies. 3 Fin-S bitten off by small blues, and that was it. However, it was nice to be using my favorite weakie rod and jigging pink Fin-S, knowing they are starting to come in.
Water clear, wind south, boat traffic heavy, and weed and cabbage fairly heavy this evening.
No one else fishing land, 3 boats working the river just before dusk, and the talk is weakies. One guy says 'fish on', a guy from another boat yells, 'is it a weakfish?', first guy yells back no, a small blue.

At dusk, 2 younger guys come fishing down by me, they are fishing for 5 minutes, and one of them hooks into an alligator blue, on a gulp bloodworm, no less, LMAO. He had to follow the fish up past Pinebluff and out of my sight, he's telling his friend to run to the truck and get the net. They come back, and no fish? Guy said he got it to the side of the canal and up to him and it broke off, so I told him they were in there and to rig up with wire and a 50 lb mono shock leader. Would have been nice if they managed to land it.

Garry

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #156 on: August 02, 2008, 10:24:56 PM »
Good report as always Garry t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #157 on: August 02, 2008, 11:20:58 PM »
Great report again! 

TT^

Offline mgm

« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2008, 09:40:20 AM »
WTG Garry......you gotta launch "Garry's Canal Guide Services!"
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline wink_man

« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2008, 12:41:11 PM »
Thanks, as always, for the kind words guys.

Garry

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-