Author Topic: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports  (Read 549348 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports
« Reply #180 on: August 14, 2008, 10:30:40 PM »
Is there a minimal size on nothing.. how do you cook those ? :)

Don't give them any ideas...next thing there will be regulations on getting skunked rofla hhppy!!

I think how you cook nothing...it's called Gorton's in your grocers freezer rofla hhppy!!

TT^

Offline Greg7

« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2008, 10:41:33 PM »
Its quiet in here with gary gone. I was gonna try and get out there tomorrow being that im off but of course its supposed to be crappy all day.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2008, 11:01:13 PM »
Certainly has been!  I have been getting out and doing freshwater fishing...or at least trying.  Weather chased me away early tonight.  I guess I can't complain too much...weather has been pretty good this summer.

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2008, 12:12:20 AM »
Yeah, you can almost hear an Echo o o o o o o o o o o.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Greg7

« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2008, 04:50:12 PM »
 hhppy

Offline Ren

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »
I Heard that they have been catching trigger fish in the canal in recent weeks..Anyone hear of this?? Also, what is this about a great white caught off Seagirt? I have been fishing the inlet mostly and have seen a good amount of keepers being taken out..Been telling myself to get over to the canal but have'nt been in a while
Ren

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2008, 03:02:13 PM »
Great report Garry.  Looks like you two had a very nice day.  That's what it's all about.

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2008, 03:54:12 PM »
Fished the west wall of the canal between the bridges from about 2-3:30 today and caught one nice size blue about 8lbs. Caught on a fin-s right at slack tide. Was peeling line of the reel, good 50 yard run. Lucky didn't catch somebody's prop.       
Z

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2008, 03:55:34 PM »
Nice catch!!

TT^

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2008, 03:59:12 PM »
That's a succesfull day in my book. TT^

How much do you add/subtract at the canal from the inlet tide ?

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2008, 04:01:18 PM »
add 3 hours to sandy hook, i've heard 2 from the inlet
Z

Offline wink_man

« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2008, 04:17:19 PM »

That's Nice Garry.  And you have a very beautiful Daughter!

Boston.  Good for her!

Thanks for the kind words Rod. The 2 ex's were throwbacks, LMAO, but that little girl of mine is definitely the best keeper I'll ever come up with.
Garry

Offline wink_man

« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2008, 04:20:24 PM »
Fished the west wall of the canal between the bridges from about 2-3:30 today and caught one nice size blue about 8lbs. Caught on a fin-s right at slack tide. Was peeling line of the reel, good 50 yard run. Lucky didn't catch somebody's prop.       

Nice catch, glad you landed yours, we didn't fare quite as well. You have to nail one of them when the water is moving at a good clip, and they go with the water flow, then can peel out a lot of line on their initial run, and then you have to try to pump them back to you against the current, great fun. Again, congrats on a fine catch.

Garry

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Point Pleasant Canal Fishing Reports 8-21-08 (Morning)
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2008, 04:26:54 PM »
The girly girl decided that we haven't spent much quality time together since she's been so busy, and that we needed to take a day to fish together, and today was picked and Dad was about to go on a guiding expedition with the girly girl. She used to be small and I liked her that way, but things keep changing and she's not that small little girl who used to have troube peering over the storm door anymore to see me coming in from work.

Garry, great report as usual!  Nice catches as well.

Good to see you got to get out and do some fishing!  Especially spending the time with your daughter!!  It's nice to see your daughter hasn't forgot about her dad in all of her busyness.  She'll miss you as much as you will miss her when she leaves for college.

Congrats to your daughter on Boston College...no small feat.  She studies like her father fishes!!Best of Luck and a safe trip to New England!!

slt

TT^

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2008, 04:27:55 PM »
Well, the water as still. Luckily I was able to steer it towards me. I was tossing a pink 4" fin-s on a 1/2 oz. white jig-head. I hooked it right in the middle of the canal while I was letting  the bait hit bottom.
Z

Offline wink_man

« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2008, 04:29:13 PM »
That's a succesfull day in my book. TT^

How much do you add/subtract at the canal from the inlet tide ?

I use the tide table for the Coast Guard Station on the Manasquan River and add 3 to 3 1/2 hours for slack tide in the canal. I generally start fishing the canal 2 hours after any tide at the Coast Guard station, and that will give you about 1 1/2 hours of that tide, to slack water to 1 1/2 hours of the opposite tide till the water becomes to fast it fish it effectively.

If you play your cards right, start fishing the inlet an hour before any tide at the coast guard station till 2 hours after, then take the 5 minute ride to the canal to fish for 3 to 3 1/2 hours as I described above, and you have 6 to 6 1/2 hours of good fishing in very fishable currents at both places, with the ability to catch a nice variety of fish at both places, as we did today. We just hit the inlet right at slack, according to the coast gurad station, wasn't going to be there at 4:30 am this morning, 5:30 was good enough.

Garry

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2008, 04:45:44 PM »
nice report as usual and you had a great day with your daughter TT^,missed your reports,canal board quiet with out you,just getting back myself with new motor on boat,giving it a shot tomorrow morning for the flatties.   Kez  
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline bigmills

« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2008, 05:59:15 PM »
Hey Gary, I was with my daughter in that exact spot at the canal last night until around 8:00 or so. Only 1 hit on a storm shad. The bluefish were blitzing across the chanel closer to Brielle. Tried pink finess style Gulp and white nothing. My daughter saw your pics and I think she was jelous. Later Chris

Offline Greg7

« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2008, 06:58:50 PM »
Sounds like it was a great day! Good to hear from you again! TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-