Author Topic: repairing leaking oil pan  (Read 2635 times)

Offline captcarl37

repairing leaking oil pan
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:47:32 PM »
HI, I have cobra 460 .I found the oil going down and the bilge flithy with oil.Trying to clean the bilge and repair leak when found.lost about 2 quarts downin 2 day.any ideas

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: repairing leaking oil pan
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:22:33 AM »
First welcome aboard captcarl37.  We have had this problem on this site before if anyone knows the link please put it up.  It is not going to be pretty.  Even if it is just the gasket.  You might in all practicality have to raise the engine to get to the pan.  I would not look for a quick fix here as you will probably have to do it anyway.  Change the pan and be done with it.

My $.02

I know you did not want to hear that but it would be the way to go.

Again Welcome Aboard.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 07:57:09 AM »
Captcarl, welcome to the site.

If this is a leaking oil pan, that is not an uncommon occurance. The pan is subject to contact with bilge water. This will cause the pan to rot away. There is no easy cure for this. The engine needs to be lifted and the pan replaced. A sealant will only be a temporary patch and the pan will again leak in a short period of time. Maybe not from the original area, but another area that is thin from the water immersion.

Check first to make sure your oil sending unit is not the culprit. Start the motor to put pressure on the sending unit and check it for leaks.

Good luck in your repair.

Here is an old posting on this subject.

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=4647.0
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Quadruplecccc

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:47:05 AM »
Welcome CaptCarl37!  I thought I could patch my oilpan also. It was a very temporary bandaid. It held for a couple of runs out but began to seep and make a mess in the bilge again. I have just completed pulling the motor , replacing the pan and finding a few other problems to boot. Glad I went through all the trouble do this job because the pan was paper thin and was on it's way to total failure. Listen to these guys on this site, they know what they are talking about!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-