Author Topic: Boat Rentals and tips for the area?  (Read 29333 times)

Offline MillaTK

• Full Member of the Den
Boat Rentals and tips for the area?
« on: July 19, 2008, 09:37:12 AM »
Hey all, I hope this is the right place for this.  I've been lurking for a while, reading most of the threads for the past several months, but I decided its finally time to post. 

A couple coworkers and I want to do some saltwater fishing, but on a boat, which none of us has.  I've found a couple places through some research online that rent boats, but I only found a few.  There were two in the Shark River, Fisherman's den being one of them, and then there was a place in the atlantic highlands, I believe. 

Anyway, I was hoping to find out if anybody knows any other places that rents out small boats with 9.9hp outboards.  I think I saw there were several places in Seaside heights.  Also, the further north the better, but I want to also be in the right place for this time of the year for some hot fluke.  I'm in Orange county, NY, so about an hour north of the city, I'd rather not drive any more than 3 hours tops. 

Now if I could also get some information on what kind of rigs and bait would be best for that area, it'd be much appreciated.  We'd like to catch some blues and stripers, but I know that might be asking a bit too much, since I don't think we'd be allowed to take the rentals into the open ocean, not that we'd want to anyway.  But I'd appreciate anything you guys have to offer, I also have a cast net, that I've been practicing with on my lawn, and used it in my lake a couple times just to get some experience and I've gotten relatively decent.  Will there be plenty of bait around to catch?  I really don't know what to expect and I've never fished in NJ, only saltwater experience was down in Florida, 6 or so years ago. 

Thanks in advance, I look foward to becoming a regular member, and getting down to do some saltwater fishing as many times as I can this summer/fall.

Offline Mr Limpett

Re: Boat Rentals and tips for the area?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 09:58:20 AM »
I'm guessing that you need an operators licence these days, right? Anyway....I was going to rent a boat from the guy in the highlands a couple of years ago until he told me that he put's a $250.00 hold on your credit card for 4 day's, and you can't bring the boat in the bay.
-Mr Limpett
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline MillaTK

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 10:32:41 AM »
I didn't think you needed anything unless it was over a 10 hp motor.  Thats the impression I was under at least, from the research I have done. 

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 11:15:20 AM »
I think, given what you want to do and where you are, Atlantic Highlnds is your best bet.

You may want to consider hopping on one the party boats that dock there. No hassle...just hop on board and go fishing...

If you have some heavy fresh water gear that's rated for 12-20lb, I'd bing that. Party boat rental equipment is usually unbelievably crappy and heavy enough to bring in a tuna.

Get some sinkers from 4 to 8 oz's and a few pre packaged Fluke rigs and you'll be all set. I'd suggest keeping it simple with the rigs and go with a plain hook or something with a small amount of dressing.

Don't be shy about asking the mates for help if you go.

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 11:17:10 AM »
i was wondering about that myself, as I was thinking about doing a 1 day rental.
Best I can tell from reading this, you need the boating safety cert. for anything in saltwater with a motor (unless you were born prior to 1949).  If someone else knows otherwise, please chime in.
http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/maritime/faq.html
http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/maritime/pdf/061108_boateducreqs.pdf

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 11:39:20 AM »
Hi Miila..  Welcome to the site and thanks for joining us.

I know Capt Mikes Marina in Tuckerton will not rent a pontoon or skiff unless you have the cert..  so I'm thinking 10hp and under your ok.. but not gunna get a lot of friends on a little boat like that..

I'd take the coarse...  it's pretty easy.  and will open up a lot of fun for yu t^

Again Welcome to the site.

Rod

Offline MillaTK

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  There will be four of us, and we were going to get two boats so its not too crowded/unsafe.  Sorry about posting in the wrong section.  In the atlantic highlands will there be bluefish around to have some fun and change up from fluke?

As for gear, I have a cheap surf rod, 8' with about 200 yards of 20lb test suffix on a spinning reel.  I'm also planning on bringing my flipping stick for bass fishing, its 7'6" medium heavy or heavy, I forget, and a baitcaster with the same 20lb test line. 

Think there would be bait around to catch with a cast net?  I'm a novice, but been practicing a lot, I just don't want to go out with little bait and not be able to catch anything in the cast net because we can't find any bait. From what I've read I'm assuming there should be enough peanut bunker around. 

Offline Reel Time

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 02:21:01 PM »
 i cant tell ya where to get a boat from, but for bait, use procut squid strips and pick up frozen spearing or smelt, incase you dont succead in catching your own minnows. they can be picked up at just about any bait store near the shore.

the rods you have will do fine. alot of inshore bottom fishing people use what are basically bass set ups.
All your tuna's are belong to me

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 02:48:02 PM »
Welcome.. shupps landing, and AH B&A has rentals
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 04:09:10 AM »
Welcome to the site!! grtn
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 02:58:11 PM »
Welcome Aboard MillaTK,

There is a lot of good info here.  If you want to venture a little further south there are two boat rentals The Dock Outfitters and Seabreeze Boats
One is in Seaside Park and the other in Seaside Heights.  This will be bay fishing or crabbing.

Good post.  t^

Again Welcome Aboard.

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline MillaTK

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2008, 07:58:21 PM »
Crabbing sounds fun, thats something we considered doing too.  Hows the bay fishing at Seaside, its not too far of a drive, I think we can get there in about 2 1/2 hours.  Just wanna find where all the fish are at this time of year.  Fluke is the main target, but I'd be nice to switch up and get into some blues, and stripers would be ideal, but it doesn't seem to be a good time for them, and I'm sure they are in the ocean right now, right?

I'll be sure to give you guys a detailed report with pictures after the trip too.  Thanks again for the welcomes and info!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 10:56:14 PM »
Crabbing in the upper part of the bay is starting to heat up.  Good reports ae coming in from seaside Park Nd the Heights of good catches and lots of them.

The Mantalokin bridge area is hot as well with large keepers and many of them.  The problem with the bridge is the parking space along the road is very limited but if you pull into the marina on the north side of the road and drive east toward the bay you are allowed to park there as well.  The city has put garbage cans there so please use them.

Good luck... t^

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline MillaTK

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 04:45:19 PM »
Well over the past two days I've called Schupps landing a couple times with no answer and now answering machine.  Maybe I have the wrong number, but I guess I'm gonna try the place in Atlantic Highlands and if that falls through try seaside.  I'll definitely keep you guys posted with results.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 05:36:43 PM »
Crabbing sounds fun, thats something we considered doing too.    Fluke is the main target,

www.captmikesmarina.com   tell um we sent yu.   they are doing well at the Stink House.  Worth the trip IMO

Offline MillaTK

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 09:38:30 PM »
Thanks Hotrod, I'll give em a call tomorrow. 

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 09:54:40 PM »
you'll see you can rent the 16-19" Garvy without a cert.. they are fine for that area.. and will hold 4 I believe.

Just make sure you bring Off..  just in case the gnats or green heads show up.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 10:03:39 PM »
A lot of OFF, that is the Greenhead fly capital of the world... :P grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline brickken

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 10:59:29 PM »
A lot of OFF, that is the Greenhead fly capital of the world... :P grtn

or Listerine...though I didn't hear if that worked for other than greenheads...
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline MillaTK

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 04:42:38 PM »
Alright, booked a boat, leaving at 4:30am and hopefully it'll be a great day of fishing, I can't wait! Thanks for all the help, I'll have a full report tomorrow evening.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-