Author Topic: NJ Kayak Fishing Forum  (Read 61968 times)

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: NJ Kayak Fishing Forum
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2008, 07:57:08 AM »
Welcome to the site Paul.
Good luck with your new Yak

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2008, 09:10:39 AM »
Welcome to "Dark Side", Paul!
Don't get down to Cape May but the Brigantine has some nice water to fish & has easy launch sites... Hope to see you on the water - Good luck with the Outback!!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2008, 09:25:37 AM »
Welcome Aboard Paul,

Congrats on your new Yak, good luck with her.

I am still on the fence as to weather I can handle one or not but that is a long story.

If you are going to target stripers this time if year you want to do it before dawn or after dusk as they are pretty elusive now and usually only hunt at night close in.

This is not to say that you can't be lucky but the higher percentages go up during the evening hours.

Happy Catching

Again Welcome Aboard.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Paul

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2008, 12:22:09 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys! I usually fish the sods and bridges at night for stripers, and now with the kayak, my opportunities should grow! Now I can get to places I have only been able to "look" at from the road. I am thinking of getting the integrated livewell since it is made to fit into the Outback. Cant Wait till Friday! 

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2008, 08:17:39 PM »
Welcome Paul and good luck with your new kayak!!

TT^

Offline Rick,stillcasting

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 07:06:09 AM »
Went out yesterday(thursday) in manasquan river region,,using squid/spearing combo,1oz sinker w/ and outgoing tide,easy to move around, boat traffic was light,caught plenty of shorts to keep me occupied and not wanting to change my offerings believing sooner or later a keeper would show-up,nope. Still always enjoy being on the water. Get out be safe,tight lines.

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2008, 07:47:10 AM »
what is next , BIKERS IN SPANDEX PANTS ;D t^ hhppy
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2008, 09:40:23 AM »
Good going Rick,

At least you were catching I have been stuck in the studio doing some other work than painting.

I have to expand it a little so it will accommodate my daughter as well.  She is starting college this fall and taking a number of art classes,well thats another story.

Were you up around the canal?  I hear they are starting to slowly pick up weakfish here and there.

Will you be going out to IBSP Sat. night?  Ken is having another showing and this time I believe there are a number of people from the site that will be there as well.  I might be going but a little later this time.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2008, 08:13:15 PM »
Hey Paul,, no I wasn't near the canal,, I should try there just to mix it up a little,,amazes me how I know many people that have caught keepers and I haven't caught one,, I sulk just a little bit when given fillets from friends,, I can give tomatoes.
Thats great to help your daughter,, family should always be number one priority.
I plan on taking the ride down,hope we get perfect weather and people running for the right reasons down the beach,SHARK ON!
Why do I imagine Ken burning 12,000 calories?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2008, 12:34:20 AM »
I don't know about the 12.000 calories but I have to say he puts his all into the night.  I wish him continued success.

Maybe there will be a Thrasher landing, that would be great.
IN GOD WE TRUST

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2008, 07:49:50 PM »
anybody having fun in the yak? I certainly am,,small bass are out there(never left) and weakies are showing how pretty they are,,along w/ an assortment that would look great in an aquarium.
Night time is the only time.Personal choice and you catch more fish!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2008, 07:54:02 PM »
Nice catching!  No yak here, but I have been trying to get out fishing in the Bay from the shore at night and early mornings!

Good Luck!

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2008, 11:54:42 PM »
Good going Rick.  Sounds like your outings are getting better.  I haven't been out in over a week and I'm getting cabin fever.  The family is going to IBSP for a Sunday evening dinner on the beach and some fishing.  My daughter went swimming over there yesterday and said that there was bait all over the place along with loads small jellies.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2008, 08:22:38 AM »
I was in the bay last night caught small bass and what I believe were hickory shad,,I can be wrong,these brutes were big up to maybe 14" and smell fishy, looked like baby tarpon,everything was hitting teasers,and one bass hit my "smack-it". What I amazed at was the amount of bait in the water,I mean jumping outa the water,skipping on the water, I think they had feet,shinning my light I saw a zillion spearing, It was tough getting fish on with all the other offerings, I just hope all this bait helps keep the "fall run" close to home.Ultra light gear

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2008, 11:02:03 AM »
Thanks for the info...

Yes, there certainly was a lot of bait in the Bay.  I was tossing a small popper the other night and making them all jump out of the water.  Not too many fish feeding on them.  The spearing were thick, like pea soup.  I was snagging one or two here or there on the popper.  Even right at the shoreline, there were enough that I could just bend over and grab them by the handful.  Pretty neat.  Spearing was the talk that night at the launch too.  All the guys/gals going out in yaks were all talking about the massive increase in spearing!

Hopefully the mullet are that thick as well.  I haven't seen any myself, but I have read a bunch about them.  I think we are all crossing our fingers that this will help get the fish going for the Fall Run.

TT^

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2008, 08:28:52 PM »
I'm going out now b4 the Hannah routine roughs things up,in the darkness,rather warm out,my target is weakfish,gonna use sandworms and small rattletraps/pink F-S jigs,,I've been catching them but nothing to brag about,small but so pretty.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2008, 09:57:58 PM »
I hope your careful out there as there is a band of rain going through Pa. now heading our way.   When you check back in and leave a post to let us know your OK...

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2008, 08:26:49 AM »
Thanx Paul for your concern,you are a genuine good man, when I go out I always tell at least one person where I'll be and expected time of return along w/ bringing my cell. When I get into fish I send pics to friends. My other routine is to call a friend that works nights sharing when I'm outa the water. We can't be safe enough cause as we know even w/ the best of plans bad things do happen. Last night I played around bridges, I caught fish but not my target weakfish,just a variety of guys that would look nice in an aquarium all on sandworms. I did use two set-ups, bottom sandworms and worked jigs/rattletrap w/o a tap.I consider all I'm doing now as a precursor for when the bass start showing up in numbers/size. Learning how to keep myself in current/angles,working in choppy conditions,re-rigging on the go,locating holes/drop-offs w/ fishfinder/gps.My focus is now to find the best outfit to wear as the temps drop,,lots to choose from and pricey. Last night I did get rained on as I expected. I didn't have rain gear on as I'm a little dumb,walking out it was warm and humid,, the rain was the sort that didn't hurt was refreshing and I did get soaked thru every layer.My lesson learned last night is bringing a large towel and another set of clothes if needed/raingear also. I'm a novice in the yak,,though by reading and listening to others I've learned alot of valuable info.Though the best teacher is doing w/ some knowledge,being safe and figuring out what works best for you. The shower when I got home was welcomed. If anybody wants to buddy-up or share lessons or would like some helpful info that I have gained send me a message. I would welcome being a guest or vice versa. 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2008, 10:24:08 AM »
Nice going Rick.  Thanks for re-posting.  I checked the radar just after you left and noticed the rain band coming through.  Not good...I am glad you had no trouble and learned some things in the process.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2008, 05:51:32 PM »
^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-