Author Topic: Kayak Fishing 101  (Read 50342 times)

Offline DAK

Kayak Fishing 101
« on: July 25, 2008, 12:48:08 PM »
OK, here is a little primer on kayak fishing. Rod could you sticky this? I figure I will be adding to it for the next week or so before I'm done, and also feel free to reply with posts to add to the body of information. Please note that this should not be taken as a technical guide or a how-to on kayak fishing, but more of an overview for those that may be totally new to the sport or may be thinking of checking out kayaking as a means to catch saltwater fish.  Although I have 20+ years of paddling experience in one form or another, I have only been salt water yak fishing for 3 years now, so I am by no means an expert, and have not explored all of the possibilities in yak fishing.  For instance, I still have not been out front, as my yak is not designed for the rigors of a surf landing (more on that later).

The Boats

You’ve probably already heard of them: SOTs and SIKs. Sit On Tops are by far the most popular and versatile for fishing.  I have seen some yak fishermen bring enough rods and other equipment on their SOTs that would crowd a 20’ CC boat.  They are roomy, comfortable, you can move around unimpeded, and there’s a lot of surfaces to mount your stuff – fishfinder, rod holders, flat panel TV, margarita maker, etc.  The compromise: they tend to be heavy and slow compared with Sit In Kayaks.  Also, because you and your equipment are up on top rather than inside the yak, your center of gravity will be higher, and this makes you a little more unstable.  I have seen people on SOTs all of a sudden just FLOOP! and I'm looking at their keel for no apparent reason except being a little too top-heavy.  At least SOTs are easier to get back on from the water.  SIKs are generally not built for fishing.  They may have the same amount of cargo capacity, but your stuff will not be as accessible since you are not as mobile sitting down in the enclose cockpit.  I have a SIK, and I generally just bring my tackle box, a dry bag, 2 rods, a handheld fishfinder, and a back pack which I put inside the one rear hatch that I can access while on the water.   I have only one Scotty rod holder, although with two mounts so I can switch positions.  When I want to keep fish that I have caught, I put them on a stringer over the side of the yak, and haul them into the cockpit when I have to move.  The few times I have kept a really large striper, I paddled over to a bank and put them in my forward hatch (which I can’t access while sitting in the boat).  The one big advantage of a SIK: SPEED!  A ten mile paddle is no big deal in my yak, whereas on most SOTs your arms would fall off after 3 miles.  I have had many a fellow yaker toss nasty words and expletives at me (all in good fun, and in vain I might add) as I passed them by while they were struggling out towards our fishing destination.  That being said, there are lighter, sleeker, faster SOTs out there, but they tend to be expensive high-end models (take a look at SeaFlea’s new beauty that he posted on this forum) that you don’t see very commonly out on the water.

Two more things about the boats.  Propulsion: Paddle versus Peddle.  Hobie came out with a hands-free mode of propulsion called the Mirage Drive that became an instant hit with yak fishermen.  It works using two fins (they look like the pectoral fins of a bottlenose dolphin) on the bottom of the boat that are driven by foot pedals.  The one obvious advantage, and a big one at that, is that you can hold your position against wind and/or current while you fish.  I hate when I’m fishing a promising bridge location and I fly right through the structure without much time to present my goods to the fish.  If I get a SOT, it will be one with the mirage drive (I think the models are the Outback and the Adventurer).  Disadvantages of the mirage drive are that the fins have to be retracted in very shallow water <6”, it is not that fast, and it is expensive.  As far as the paddle mode of propulsion, I have found that the paddle makes a lot of difference.  I started with a Werner Skagit, a mid-level fiberglass/plastic paddle, and thought it was great.  Recently I got a Werner Camano, which has a carbon shaft and thin fiberglass blade, and it makes a world of difference as far as speed and arm fatigue.  Don’t skimp on your paddle!

The second thing to know about boats: Materials.  Most recreational/fishing yaks are made of rotomolded ABS plastic, which is rugged and relatively inexpensive, but not the lightest or fastest.  After the initial honeymoon period with your new yak during which you notice every little new scratch, you pretty much don’t worry about a rotomolded yak and beat the crap out of it as you go about the business of trying to catch fish.  There are, however, other materials that are much lighter, prettier, and faster, but they tend to be more fragile, and yes, more expensive.  Listed in order of weight, speed, fragility, and expense, they are: carbon, fiberglass, and Aeralite.  Aeralite is a trade name for a plastic that is a compromise between glass and ABS. It is still molded (usually in two halves top and bottom), but it is lighter, more rigid (rigidity adds speed), and has a nice fast shiny surface.  I imagine the Trylon of Flea's beautiful new boat is similar if not identical to Aeralite.

Safety

It is difficult to overemphasize safety for yak fishing. In just the last year alone, I think I can recall at least 3 people losing their lives in NJ waters.
People tend to overestimate their skills, and underestimate nature, and that's a bad combination.  So here is a list of safety considerations especially relevent to yaking.  None of them have much wiggle room without putting yourself at serious risk of becoming crab bait.

Visibility - I will try not to offend power boaters here, but although most are careful and considerate (and quite often curious) around a yak fisherman, some of them are just flat out nuts and even beligerent. Multiply that by 1000 for jet skiers (I really don't care if I offend them).  So visibility is your only real defense against that guy bearing down on you while he turns around reaching for his beer. The sooner he sees you the better.  A bright yak, bright paddle blades, and a blaze orange safety flag are the minimum, esp the flag if you are going out front where you can disappear between the swells.  At night, visibility becomes even more important.  One would think this is a no-brainer, but I have read a number of reports where boaters come across a yak out there in the dark with no lights.  As Flea mentions below, yaks should NOT use red/green running lights, as this implies the ability to move quickly to avoid a collision. One nice bright white light mounted on the stern at least 3' above the water line will suffice. I also always wear a LED headlamp that can be used in addition if a situation warrants it.

Personal Flotation - there is no wiggle room on this one. Don't go out without a PFD. Period. I have a manually triggered inflatable that uses a compressed air cartridge for the comfort factor. A PFD doesn't work if you don't wear it because it's uncomfortable.

Water/Air Temperature - IMO this is probably the biggest danger in kayak fishing NJ waters, mainly because it seems people underestimate the danger of cold water. There are only 3 months during which inshore water temps are survivable wearing just shorts and a Tshirt - July, Aug, and Sept. Even then, as we recenlty saw, upwelling can drop temps into the danger zone in the middle of the dog days. Always check water temps before you head out, and dress according to the water, not the air. There is a lot of variability in opinion on what to wear for what temps, but cotton is probably the worst material, as it provides very little insulation when wet. If the water is just a little on the cool side (60 - 70), I recommend long johns and a long sleeve shirt made from polypropylene under your shorts and T. You can get them in various thicknesses. Polypro breathes well and will give you just enough warmth to keep you from numbing out in case you dump. Below 60, you will need full blown cold water equipment. The available options are: wetsuit, drysuit, and waders/drytop. Again, opinions differ as to what is the most effective when you factor in cost and comfort (this is one of those topics that can start a 100 post thread on any kayaking forum). Wetsuits are probably the least expensive, but they are pretty uncomfortable, especially for extended periods of time. Contrary to some opinions out there, a wetsuit will keep you warm even if it is not wet. If you you go in, there will be an initial cold shock before your body has a chance to warm the layer of water inside the neoprene.  The wader/drytop combo is next in terms of expense. Although most dry tops have seals of some sort at the neck and wrists, I cannot see that you would stay totally dry in one if you go for a swim. There is also some debate over whether you would sink or not if the waders were to fill with water. The drysuit is by far the best way to stay safe and comfortable when paddling on cold water, and of course, the most expensive. A drysuit keeps you dry, not warm, so you must layer your clothing appropriately under the drysuit. I would not recommend a non-breathable drysuit, as perspiration can build up inside, leading to wet/cold, which defeats the purpose. The last thing to be said about cold protection don't forget the hands and head. I prefer neoprene gloves as they will still work when wet. Stay warm, stay alive!

Fishing

Alright, now onto the good stuff. Only thing is, I am a still a newB when it comes to saltwater yak fishing, so this will be limited by what I have learned and observed so far. I have fished freshwater for about 20 yrs from canoes, but that is a totally different animal.

The one thing I know about saltwater yak fishing is that I love it. You are down close to the water, and you can observe all kinds of things you might miss in a boat. I can remember the first time I went out across the Absecon Bay flats. It was on the incoming, and as I looked down the bottom was a multi-colored garden of seaweeds and sponges crawling with all kinds of crabs and shrimps, and small fish absolutely everywhere. At one point a shadow crossed over me, and I looked up at an osprey hovering about 15 feet above me off my stern, probably eyeing a flounder I had stirred up as I paddled over it. Good stuff. OK, so let's break this down into the different areas and types of fishing you can do in a yak.

Out Front

Inlets

Open Bays

Creeks

Rivers

Flats

Bridges

Night
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:58:28 PM by DAK »
This boy is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice...

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Kayak Fishing 101
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 02:28:41 PM »
Great Info t^
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:58:44 AM by DAK »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »
Thanks for the pickup DAK.  I was wondering how this was going to continue.  I have been looking for a Yak for a while now but the majority are not going to work for me.  Here is my situation and I am sure that there are a number more out there in the same situation.

I have had both my hips replaced and can not put my knees past the 90 degree position in other words not past my waist.  So I have tried and have become very disillusioned about ever getting a boat.  Until I found Slo-Mo Boats.  It would be so easy to get in and sit on top in a hard padded seat seat.  As far as tipping over there are like pontoon stabilizers attached to the sides.  It is well thought out the only thing holding me back if the price. 

The craft is about 13' long and 37" wide with the stabilizers it looks extremely stable and because the seat is on top of the gunwale my knees are in the right position.  There is a number of add ons that would make it a total fishing machine.

Have you ever heard of this company as they have been in business since 1985 or so.  I have talked to the owner and he is willing to customize it to make it even more accommodating.

It is made of fiberglass and is very light about 46 lbs. with out many of the add ons.  Which are btw very easy to set up once you get to a site you want to fish.  But like I mentioned the price would be in the $2,000 range and that is out of my budget with a daughter getting ready for college.

So if you know of something similar my Yaking will be on hold for a while.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline DAK

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »
Paul,

Nope, never heard of Slo-Mo boats until now. Sounds like they developed their boat for folks with reduced mobility. Unfortunately all the yaks I have ever seen require a "crouching" motion with a good deal of hip flex to get in. Once in, or course, your legs are out in front of you with a slight amount of bend in the knees. Have you tried demoing some models to get more of a handle on your situation? I think that would be the next thing to do. In my area, Barrell in Brig, or Bel Haven Canoes in Green Bank let you demo yaks.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 05:49:43 PM »
Yeah, a number of friends have let me try a number of them and as I can get in if I walk the kayak out and slide in it becomes uncomfortable after about 15 min or so.

The only one that came close was the Ocean Kayak their Angler version.

I am thinking this place in Texas might be the way to go.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 09:03:46 AM »
Paul,

Sweet looking boat! Looks very much like a 'surf dory', just smaller! It's unfortunate that they carry such a high price tag but it looks to be a high quality boat made of hand laid fiberglass, not chopped & blown glass... That would certainly account for it's light weight.

I'll try to post some pics this evening of the milk crate I modified to hold a couple of rods in the tankwell.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 11:57:11 AM »
Sounds great looking forward to seeing them.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 09:59:10 PM »
Ok, now this isn't ainything special, just a milk crate with a couple PVC tubes on it.
pic 1 - two PVC uprights to hold the rods while traveling from point A to B:

pic 2 - the PVC set at a 45` angle is for trolling from point A to B:

Holds a first-aid kit, two Plano boxes (a 2-tier 4700 & a two-tier 4600) and a lunch box. The lunch box however holds hard jerk baits (Rapala's, Bomber A'a & the like) in the upper secion while the lower section holds the GULP, Fin-S, Lead-heads & bucktails:

The PVC is 1 1/4" schd 40. The uprights are held in palce by two big 'ol radiator clamps as is the PVC tube held at a 45`... Just have to trim the tails off the rad clamps real well or there's hell to pay when your wet fingers hit that nipped steel... Next piece to get added to this will be a stern light like this:

No, this crate doesn't hold a ton of gear but then again, neither does the 'yak. There is, however, enough gear in that crate to cover alot of bases and four species: bass, blues, weakies & fluke. If you have the need to carry more gear there are larger crates to be found. Just remember that everything on the 'yak has to have a leash on it, otherwise the next time you dump the yard sale you throw may not have any buyers!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 10:32:56 PM »
Very Cool!!!

Offline DAK

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 09:14:47 AM »
Very nice Flea! May not be a ton of gear for you but it's alot compared with what I usually bring.

Everyone, take note of the light mounted on the PVC mast for night/low light yaking...

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 09:59:49 AM »
Very cool,  I like the light feature is it an led light? 
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 10:41:03 AM »
Yes, it's a River Rock lantern purchased (of all places) from Target. I think it was $15... Uses 4 AA batteries and produces one helluva light - you will be noticed!  Additionally, the light has a blinking or strobe setting so it can be used as a distress signal.

Might be a good time to note something about kayaks & running lights... Kayaks should not use the standard running lights found on small craft. Why? Because they "imply" that you are a vessel under power and as such can get out of the way of another vessel. What should be use is a solid white light, visible for 360`. Normally this would signal a "boat at anchor" and places the responsibility of moving up to the approaching vessel. (Sorry - didn't mean to preach...)

We used them this year up at Jamaica Bay (NY) at the KFS tourney and they will get you noticed!!

Here are very simplistic pics of construction:

AND, here's a link to the KFS site and more construction ideas:http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/albumcomments/f/220603834/m/4891031472?r=3761084253#3761084253
and a second:
http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/220603834/m/6671043632?r=6671043632#6671043632

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 10:50:51 AM »
Real nice set up.  Simple yet very effective.  Thanks for posting the info here.  Maybe Rod can have you do another wright up and have it posted on out front page.  That would be great for future reference.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 11:57:41 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. The crate and light still need a little more work to be truly effective on the yak.  Having a pic or two of the crate in the yak would also be good to have, before the "article" goes to print. That pic would illustrate how the crate is actually secured within the tankwell.
The crate is still in need over a cover, whether it's a "door" or a bungee net... And there should be pics showing how the light is secured to the crate... If we're really going to be a source of knowledge it should be complete, rather than half-azzed.
Whatddayathink?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 12:23:20 PM »
Absolutely...Unless you want the article to be a work in progress but still if it was a finished project with before and after pictures it would make for a good winter project for a few.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline DAK

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 01:35:18 PM »
Great idea. Flea, why don't cha write a sticky on outfitting a yak for fishing. It would be a good follow-up to the overview sticky. t^

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 02:01:21 PM »
Er, ahhh... I've never written a truly "formal" piece on anything, much less outfittin' a kayak for fishin'. It's a kinda scarey proposition!
Do we want this to be done in sections or "chapters" like in a book? I ask only because there are so many facets to the procedure. (1) crates, (2) "proper" rod holders, (3) fishfinders, (4) carts... I'm thinking along these lines for two reasons:
#1 - it would be an easy way to access information, rather than scrolling through an entire thread to get to "crates", and
#2 - it would make things easier if others wanted to contribute to the section...

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 02:46:55 PM »
What ever is easier for you.  The articles do not have to be perfect just the information on a specific topic would be good.  This way anyone looking for a specific article they could be pointed into a specific direction instead of searching through the threads.

I can help you if you want.  Just give me a PM or call I am in the contacts forum.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 03:10:17 PM »
Thanks Paul, 'preciate the help.  I understand about the stuff not bein' perfect - no problem there!  But I do agree that ease of access is important. 
Let's see if I can whip up a sticky this evening for "crates" and go from there...

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 03:58:21 PM »
Sounds great, looking forward to reading it, as I am sure others will be. 

These type of projects even though thought to be simple by some are just what is needed to have things click for others.

That is what this site is all about.  We love the person that is struggling to put together a catch and be able come here to where we through the help of others can put him/her onto the realm of a possible catch. 

Thanks

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-