Author Topic: 05 Honda Pilot on the Beach  (Read 7758 times)

Offline Spartafish

• Full Member of the Den
05 Honda Pilot on the Beach
« on: August 14, 2008, 01:34:27 PM »
I am heading to to Island Beach State park Sunday and Monday and want to take my 05 Pilot on the beach so I can do some serious fishing. I have never taken it on the beach since I live in Sussex County. Only me and my wife will be in the vehicle. We are then leaving on Monday night and head to Brigantine for the rest of the week. I also do not want to spend $160 for a beach permit and find out the Pilot cannot handle the beach. Can anyone tell me their experience with a Pilot on the Beach? Thanks in advance. Looking forward to fishing on the beach. Hope to see you guys.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 01:43:30 PM by Spartafish »

Offline adesai73

Re: 05 Honda Pilot on the Beach
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 01:44:37 PM »
i'm interested in the replies, too.  my parents bought a rav-4 (6 cyl) and have given me permission to borrow it for outings if i want.  rav-4s and pilots are pretty similar, right?

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 02:29:02 PM »
Anything 4wd will do as long a you are cautious. air down your tires and bring the emergency kit (tow  straps, shovel and a piece of plywood. I'm no expert on riding the beach but do have lots of experience off-roading.   
Z

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 02:49:13 PM »
Welcome aboard.
You should be fine if you use your head. Lower the air pressure and stay out of dunes.
Good luck.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 03:07:31 PM »
I have seen all types of vehicles on the beach but first if you are going to IBSP you will not have to pay that high amount of money if you are just going to be there for those two days.

They have a 3 day pass that will cost you $50.00, but you still must have all the necessary safety gear on board.  Like:

MANDATORY EQUIPMENT FOR A MOBILE SPORTFISHING VEHICLE (MSFV)

Permits are issued to 4-wheel drive vehicle owners for fishing purposes only. Carrying the basic equipment listed is required whenever the MSFV in on the beach.
1) Fishing equipment and bait and tackle for each person over 12 years of age;
2) Tire gauge;
3) Spare tire;
4) Workable jack and board/support for jack in sand (3/4 in. x 12 x 12 in. plywood square minimum size)
5) Tow chain or snatch line;
6) Shovel;
7) Flashlight;
8. Fire extinguisher;
9) Auto first aid kit;
10) Litter/trash bag;
11) Minimum of 1/4 tank of fuel.

A current tide chart is highly recommended.  Jumper cables for the vehicle's specific battery type are also recommended.

There are a few things I would suggest you air down to an appropriate air pressure for your tires.  My tires normally take 35# and I air down to 15# when I go onto the beach.

I would also be careful of the deep ruts as your vehicles clearance might not be enough to clear the middle hump.  Go slow and check your clearance the first time.

The best access to get onto the beach if your clearance is a problem would be A7 as it seems to be a harder packed sand.  A23 is like sugar sand so again be careful.

If you need suggestions as far as areas to fish give me a PM and I will gladly help you out as that area is my normal fishing grounds.  BTW if you go Sunday the park may be closed as the parking areas usually fill up fast, just tell them you would like to purchase a beach buggie permit and you should have clearance to the main guard shack.

Just a hint if your vehicle is a leased one call ahead to find out what documents you need to get the permit.

The MSFV Permit will be issued only to the registered owner of the vehicle. Your mailed application for a MSFV Permit must include a photocopy of the vehicle owner’s registration and driver license. Those who have a leased vehicle must also include a copy of the lease document page(s) that show(s) that the vehicle is leased to the permit applicant. Those who apply for the MSFV Permit in person at the Island Beach gatehouse do not need to provide photocopies, but will be asked to present original vehicle registration, driver license and lease documents.

Good Luck

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 06:32:14 PM »
I was waiting for a sharpie to jump in and offer something more comprehensive  t^
Z

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 12:16:34 AM »
Yeah I can't help it I have been pounding those beaches ever since I was 8 this year I'll be 61, you do the math I am too tired.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 01:23:20 AM »
I don't really get to IBSP due to the fact that I have to drive along about 10 miles of beach to get there. 
Z

Offline FINITALIA2

• 43.8lbs. 49in.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 08:11:40 PM »
 5hrug

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 12:24:53 AM »
That is the reason I go there is for the 10 miles of beach.

It is a very unique area and I am glad I live so close to such a rich environment that is so alive with so many things the family can do out there.

My daughter grew up going out there and it is second nature for her to constantly go out there with her friends.

Fishing is only one aspect of thge park if you take the time to explore it.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 12:39:28 AM »
Unfortunately I don't get much exploring time working 55+ hours a week.

I sound like an ad for a retirement community.....55+ rofla
Z

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 12:45:58 AM »
We do the same, that is why we make it a point to get out there as much as possible.  My time has totally changed but my wife works a good 60 hour week as she is a principal interest in a dental lab and the business comes in a very close second only to family, but family always comes first.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline RebelMusicNP

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 05:25:08 PM »
I am heading to to Island Beach State park Sunday and Monday and want to take my 05 Pilot on the beach so I can do some serious fishing. I have never taken it on the beach since I live in Sussex County. Only me and my wife will be in the vehicle. We are then leaving on Monday night and head to Brigantine for the rest of the week. I also do not want to spend $160 for a beach permit and find out the Pilot cannot handle the beach. Can anyone tell me their experience with a Pilot on the Beach? Thanks in advance. Looking forward to fishing on the beach. Hope to see you guys.

does your pilot say "4X4" on the back? 

Offline Spartafish

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 05:40:26 PM »
No it does not. Honda started using that on the 06 models. I do have the VTM-4 switch on my dash. That allows me to lock it into 4 wheel drive

Offline Spartafish

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 06:43:03 PM »
Thank You everyone for all the replies. I has a successful trip on IBSP with my Pilot. The Pilot performed flawlessly with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL!!!! I bought the 3 day pass and went there Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. The weather was spectacular but the flies were awful. I caught a few sea robbins and a ton of skates but no game fish but still had a great time. The rest of the week we were at Brigantine Beach where I caught several King Fish, lots of Spot and 2 small Weakfish (10 -12 inches) and NO I did not keep the Weakfish. I threw them back so the can grow. Thanks all for all the advice and suggestions. If anyone ever comes up to Sussex county NJ for fresh water fishing please look me up.
Thanks everyone!!!!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 06:52:29 PM »
NICE!!.   Any Pictures t^

Offline Spartafish

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 07:49:06 PM »
Lots of pictures just do not know how to post them

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 07:50:27 PM »
Reply / Additional option...etc  t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 10:24:42 PM »
I am glad you had a good time I was up close to your neck of the woods today in Haskell at Camp Moore...  What a trip especially when there were two bus crashes and there were detours all over the place.  87 miles up and I took 287 back 102 miles.  What a hike... :P
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 10:31:32 PM »
Glad to hear you enjoyed IBSP!!  It is a great place. 

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-