Author Topic: Hudson Canyon 8/22-8/23  (Read 6348 times)

Offline 0ffShoreRy@n

Hudson Canyon 8/22-8/23
« on: August 24, 2008, 10:44:23 AM »
This trip i did not go on the Taylor Vee I went on my neighbors boat The Summer Ann a cabo 35 express. Dave and i decided to go to the hudson canyon after looking at roffs water temp charts on Thursday night the night before we left. We left the dock at around 10:00 AM on Friday and lines went in around 2:00 ten minutes after the lines were in fish on it was a Little Bonita we decided to let it go. Dave and I thought that was going to be a good sign but it wasn't. we had a couple more run offs before the chunk but didn't land them. The chunk didn't produce a thing no squid nothing the only action we had was right before sun rise i was doing head bobs barley awake when i heard two little clicks come from the sword rod i looked at Dave i said fish on and he said yes then the rod bent down like crazy but it didn't take line i went to et my gimble but when i got back it was off. But the troll the next morning was good i was up in the tuna tower all day. At around 6:00 AM i started to see the tuna jump like never before in my life they were wolf packs all over the place and Dave came up in the tower with me at one point for like an hour as we trolled trough the pack and the lines kept going off at one point five were going off at once and we only landed one because of lack of experienced tuna fisherman half of the crew was their first time out so me and Dave had a lot of weight to pull. The hardest was yellow fin that Dave got to the boat he gave me the rod so he could gaff the fish i started walking back and tripped over the other gaff some one left laying on the floor that was when the five lines were going off. Also we we had a mahi on the line that we lost because the line broke. But we did go home with a small yellowfin and one small Bonita and went 3 for 15 because of the lack of talent but i had fun and thats all that matters.
A wise man once said" MANY SHIP AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA HAD THE RIGHT AWAY AND TOOK IT"
"Taylor Vee" Wellcraft 360 Coastal

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Hudson Canyon 8/22-8/23
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »
Great report!  Sounds like a nice trip.  It is nice to be the experienced one on the boat...except when the unexperienced guys mess it all up  rofla!

TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 02:21:44 PM »
Great report Ryan. You are getting to the be bomb on the off shore scene. Many people three and four times your age would give it all to have the experiences you have had already in the deep.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 03:01:42 PM »
Great Report Ryan. 

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 10:17:03 PM »
Great report Ryan. You are getting to the be bomb on the off shore scene. Many people three and four times your age would give it all to have the experiences you have had already in the deep.  t^
That is so true, Captain Joe!  It certainly doesn't seem like "easy" fishing.  Sounds like you really need to be on your game to do well and be safe all at once!
 TT^

Offline 0ffShoreRy@n

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 10:48:28 PM »
it is easy when you get used to it and once you go tuna fishing thats the only kind of fishing you will want to do
A wise man once said" MANY SHIP AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA HAD THE RIGHT AWAY AND TOOK IT"

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 09:07:31 AM »
nice report & good read
sounds like a good trip even with the inexperienced

Offline 0ffShoreRy@n

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:41:59 AM »
tuna fishing is always a nice trip no matter whos on the boat

Offline brickken

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 11:28:07 AM »
Ryan didn't mention that this was his first canyon trip without dad  :'( I couldn't go because we had a party planned for the following day that I had cancelled once before to hit the canyons. If I cancelled again it would have been my last canyon trip.  ;D

Captain Dave told me he was very glad he took Ryan along as he did the most work out of everybody else. At first he didn't think he would go without me, I said, "Are you kidding he'd go without both of us if the opportunity presented itself".

Congratulations Ryan on a nice "solo" trip out there...  TT^
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline FINITALIA2

• 43.8lbs. 49in.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 03:28:38 PM »
 5hrug

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 11:37:43 PM »
Now we know the rest of the story.  Good going Ryan and way to go.  I love it when you younguns out do their parents... TT^ grtn

Maybe we will be watching Ryan on a fishing show of his own one day.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline 0ffShoreRy@n

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 03:28:59 PM »
thank you

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 05:43:20 PM »
tuna fishing is always a nice trip no matter whos on the boat

TT^ TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-