Author Topic: 8-27- Sea Girt Reef Fluking  (Read 1725 times)

Offline djtdmd

• Vessel "SCORPIO"
8-27- Sea Girt Reef Fluking
« on: August 28, 2008, 11:07:22 AM »
Went out around 1pm yesterday, 3-4 ft waves, saw boats at the SGR. Went there, had 3 other people on board. I used one pole (mine) with 20 lb. test power pro braided with a mono  leader, teaser bucktail(with live keeley)and a 4oz spro tipped with a small whole squid and a stinger hook attatched. NE wind, found a spot that we kept drifting over where we got two 19 inchers. Then we hooked up with 2 nice size blues on the fluke rigs. Got several shorts and one baby sea bass. Came in around 6. This is the first time I ever used braided and I loved it. Unbelievable sensitivity- I felt the spro hopping off the bottom, fish bites were so noticeable. With mono, sometimes it was hard to know if you even had a fish on, expecially with 4+ oz. on a 3 way rig. No doubt with the braided, it keeps you way more involved. The other poeple with me generally got less fish. I will change my other lines to braided as well. Any comments about using braided for say jigging or casting metal for blues? How about stripers? Just not sure as to the limitations for braided, maybe its just good for fluking but mono may be better for blues, stripers. Please give me some feedback swith this! Thanks

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: 8-27- Sea Girt Reef Fluking
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:47:27 AM »
nice report.. I use braid for EVERYTHING
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 11:57:14 AM »
Nice report  t^ Welcome to Braidsville..you seem to be hooked already.. I also use it for about everything..One thing to watch out for when using it for larger, faster species is handleing it.. It will cut you like piano wire if you try to grab it with a fish on.. I use a mono leader at all times so that I have something to hold onto when landing/releasing fish.. A mono leader will also help with abrasion as braid is very strong, but will cut easer on sharp objects than mono will. 

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 01:48:24 PM »
I have to give this a shot . I just cant stop fishing , So I can chane my line ;D
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 02:52:45 PM »
Nice report!

I just switched to braid about a month ago!  I really like it too!  It is strong, I get more line on my spool, cast much farther, and is much more sensitive!  Takes a bit getting used to, but I liked it right from the begining.  Downfall is, if you get snagged, it is not going to break off like mono and you end up losing more line, but I will just have to deal with that!

Eventually, I plan on switching every reel I own to braid.

Good Luck!

TT^

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 09:56:08 PM »
I'm guessing that you are useing Conventional Reels. On Spinning Reels you will notice a greater casting distance  t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 10:14:29 PM »
did you see any great whites out there?  rofla rofla

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-