Author Topic: offshore rod grips  (Read 4585 times)

Offline robsrodnreel

• Robs Rod n Reel
offshore rod grips
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:09:40 PM »
saw this on a website that i order from.  you guys who fish offshore alot, do you think this is a good product? to think that the cost justifies the end product?

http://shop.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Custom-Handle-Systems/Z-Grip-Saltwater-Handle

Offline Capt. Ed

Re: offshore rod grips
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
Hi,

Crazy looking ...

I have never used them. I would absolutely like to pull on a rod that has this type of grip before I bought it.

Being an engineer by training, I never dismiss anything. However, that being said, torque, force and mechanical engineering principles may not support this as the most efficient configuration.

Dennis - What do you think? You are much more qualified than me to comment.

Have fun,

Capt. Ed

Offline drome

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 10:35:59 PM »
Wow, weird looking grip....  If you were to analyze the fishing rod in its simplest form you would have the best scenario for applying torque and force to fighting a fish....

I also believe the basic idea of fishing goes against the idea of that device... Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the idea of fishing to hold steady constant pressure on the rod to tire the fish out, and the fail else being the drag device on your rell...  if he goes close to exceeding the breaking line of the reel the drag device allows the line to peel off while still applying the pressure dialed in?

Looks strange, I'd like to try it out.  Wouldn't that grip also void any IGFA records if you were to catch one with that?

Offline woodrufflou

• Woodruff Rod and Gun
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 01:17:32 AM »
WOW....definitely weird looking. Not sure how much i would trust it. I would definitely try it out though.
The man, The myth, THE LEGEND

Offline Kahoots

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 04:26:59 PM »
NOT ON MY BOAT

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-