Author Topic: Blackfish reel suggestions  (Read 57764 times)

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
Blackfish reel suggestions
« on: August 29, 2008, 10:04:53 AM »
Even though I don't deserve such a nice rod for Blackfish because of my lack of Tog skills and terrible lack of fishing time this year, I got a nice deal on Ebay on a brand new Lami Triflex BL7030C...$110.00.

I was thinking of getting a Shimano Tekota to go with it...any thoughts or suggestions for other models?

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
Re: Blackfish reel suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 10:14:40 AM »
old faithful go with a jig master less than $50 can get 2

or newell

Offline mgm

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 10:18:37 AM »
The Tekota sounds like a great matchup......I use a Shimano CalcuttaTE 401 matched with a Bass Pro Musky stick when fishing the more shallow waters for Blackfish; and for heavier conditions where more lead is required, I use a Trinidad 16N matched with a heavier rod.....both are pricier than the Tekota, but the Tekota will work as well at 1/2 the price or less.
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 03:02:34 PM »
Capt. Jerry is a togmaster! t^  But for what its worth, I like my Shimano Torium 16, which is like the poor man's Trinidad.  I originally bought it for vertical jigging, but it's great for deep water bottom fishing.  It has a super high speed retrieve (6.2:1) which takes up 42 inches of line per crank!  But it still has a lot of power due to the oversized gear case (what Shimano refers to as HEG or High Efficiency Gearing).

Good luck with whatever you choose! ;D

-Bob

Offline DarthBaiter

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 03:14:13 PM »
Newell 229 or a Daiwa Saltist 30H.  t^

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 03:20:44 PM »
Second vote for a Newell 299. But before you buy one, bring it in to a tackle shop that carries Newells to make sure it fits on the reel seat.

Tekota 500/600 is also a good choice.

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »
Newell 220 TT^ 229 is good too but like the smaller profile of the 220.

Tekota should work as well. slt
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 02:17:05 PM »
I'll take a look at the Newells. It'd be nice to buy American.

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 02:12:16 PM »
Current models are the S series.  Come standard with 5.1:1 gears.  Some prefer the modified 3.8:1 gears making it more like a winch.  With smaller reels like Abu's I think that makes a big difference, but the stock gears on a Newell S220 works just fine IMHO.  I have a few 220 and 229's and a larger 300 series.  They all work well.  Theresa has a modified 229 with the lower gears.  Honestly, I really can't tell the difference in reeling either of them up 5hrug

The BL7030C is a nice rod.  The 220 should fit very nicely on it and balance well.  Can spool up with braid/superlines or mono and will hold enough to fish inshore as well as the 17 Fathoms area.  The Newells are a bit noisy, but workhorses requiring little maintenance.

Here's a few tog T caught using her Newell TT^
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »
Newell 220/229 on a Seeker BA-85 Rod  t^....enough said  ;D

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 02:41:10 PM »
Capt. Jerry is a togmaster! t^  But for what its worth, I like my Shimano Torium 16, which is like the poor man's Trinidad.  I originally bought it for vertical jigging, but it's great for deep water bottom fishing.  It has a super high speed retrieve (6.2:1) which takes up 42 inches of line per crank!  But it still has a lot of power due to the oversized gear case (what Shimano refers to as HEG or High Efficiency Gearing).

-Bob

That is exactly why 9-10 people lose a fish of a lifetime. trying to reel 42inches when he decides to dive.

Blackfishing is a simple concept  nuting fancy.
Rarely use a drag, rod take shock, real nice and slow after out off bottom.

Thoses Fancy tuna jigging reels better for DEEPWATER bOTOOM FISHING SUCH AS LING AND GIANT C BASS.

Most blackfishing done 60-100ft no need for crazy ratio or super expensive drags.

Use heavy line good hooks and reel

Go with the Newell

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 02:41:36 PM »
Looked at some pic of the Newells. Call me a wuss but I think having no level wind would get annoying...

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »

Thoses Fancy tuna jigging reels better for DEEPWATER bOTOOM FISHING SUCH AS LING AND GIANT C BASS.

:P :P :P

I love the spool lock feature on my fancy tog reel the Ocea Jigger grtn  Definetely overkill for most inshore fishing, but it's sweet. hhppy

Non-levelwind isn't really a problem and soon becomes second nature.  Theresa learned very quickly how to use it.

As Capt Jerry stated, nothing really fancy needed. Once you get the tog hooked and a few cranks off the bottom, slow-n-steady is key.  Let the rod fight the fish while you enjoy the ride  t^
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Capt -Jerry P

• Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
    • Fish Monger
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 03:15:32 PM »
i do love all of your and t rods. I know you got a few nice customs...

Thanks gt for the advive on the graphiter rod last year love it

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 06:48:04 PM »

-Bob

That is exactly why 9-10 people lose a fish of a lifetime. trying to reel 42inches when he decides to dive.

Blackfishing is a simple concept  nuting fancy.
Rarely use a drag, rod take shock, real nice and slow after out off bottom.

Most blackfishing done 60-100ft no need for crazy ratio or super expensive drags.

Use heavy line good hooks and reel

Go with the Newell

See?  That's why Jerry's the Togmaster and I'm just a guy that fishes for tog now and then! ;D  Thanks for the lesson. t^

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 01:07:20 PM »
i do love all of your and t rods. I know you got a few nice customs...

Thanks gt for the advive on the graphiter rod last year love it

Billy is now building "factory custom" GUSA rods.  He had some composites made up specifically for him and the type of fishing we do here locally.  Some sweet blanks, plus he's also building on the graphite GUSA blanks as well.  A custom rod without most of the fancy threadwork he's famous for, but still 100% of the performance crafted for the individual TT^
You can check them out at the northeastrodbuilders site.

T's go-to tog'n stick is the Calstar while mine is the GUSA MegaMax 80. Both are using the Ocea Jigger reels, but the back-ups all have Newells on them.  I do have two "loaner" rods that have Penn 965/975 on them though ;)

Hopefully get out with you this season Capt Jerry as I know you'll work hard to put every trip over fish chrz slt grtn
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 04:42:09 PM »
Can't provide much input after the sharpies have spoken but I had to go for an AVET for my bottom fishing reel. I fish lefty, choices are limited.  rgmn
Z

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 11:10:27 PM »
I've been using an old Jigmaster but it needs attention so I switched over to my old 320 GTI. Either way I still can't get the knack for those tasty bottom dwellers. Matt.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 11:25:23 AM »
Thanks for the great info everyone...

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 06:31:25 PM »
As someone who tog fishes very infrequently, I have learned a lot through this thread and a couple of other similar ones here on NJSWF.  So, I have decided to revamp my tackle to something that might be more appropriate.

First, (and I don't know any other way to phrase this, so here goes) I got a chance to handle Captain Joe's rod the other day.  (Giggle, giggle  ;D)  Anyway, he has the Lamiglas TFX7040CT.  To me it felt very similar in power and action as my old G Loomis musky rod.  So I decided I'm going to try that rod for my next blackfish trip.

As far as reels, I've decided against using my Torium since, according to Capt. Jerry,  it has too high of a gear ratio for this application.  I don't have a Jigmaster, but I do have a slighly smaller Penn Beachmaster 160 with a Jigmaster handle on it that I haven't used in a long time.  I'm just not sure how these old Penns hold up with braided line on them.  But I guess we'll see. ;D

Any of you toggers out there have any thoughts on this combo?

Thanks,
Bob

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-