Author Topic: Plugging for Strippers Whats your Favorite?  (Read 32642 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Plugging for Strippers Whats your Favorite?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 10:39:42 AM »
OK guys, i know this topic has been dormant for a while but it is still here, SO, Here goes.

I have been using teasers for a while now and have noticed not much difference in the hit rate as opposed to the catch rate but when I do hook up it is mostly on the teaser.  With that said, with the teaser on the plugs fly very erratically could this be because the teaser is too big or that does not make a difference. 

With metal, because of the weight, not much difference in the casting distance.  I am sure that if I try tying a shorter fly teaser I would see a difference but now I am loosing the look alike pattern because of size of bait to size of lure.

Any thoughts?

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline gagedylan

• http://www.myspace.com/husbandshatemeclub
    • facebook
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 10:54:52 AM »
i caught my first striper on a crippled herring. i cast a 3/4 oz crippled herring on ultra-light tackle with braid. try that in the suds, catch a decent fish, what a fight t^
25' Chris Craft Sea Hawk W/A with twin Suzuki 140 OB

Offline gagedylan

• http://www.myspace.com/husbandshatemeclub
    • facebook
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 10:56:47 AM »
Topic: Plugging for Strippers Whats your Favorite?  (Read 901 times)

i havent tried plugging for "strippers" yet. does it work? what do you use? do you have to still pay them? rofla rofla rofla
25' Chris Craft Sea Hawk W/A with twin Suzuki 140 OB

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 11:15:43 AM »
Try tying on a teaser in front of the crippled herring and see what happens.  The CH will work in a straight line jigging motion while the teaser will work in an up and down motion giving two different presentations.

Pretty Cool.  grtn

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 09:29:55 PM »
A few lures you might try: at night- a swimmer with lip in black, in the morning a white popper or darter, during the Fall inthe day a metal similar to what the guys have mentioned or a crippled herring.try to match the bait in the water.But limit your purchase of these lures to under 1000.00 dollars each time because it gets expensive! And your plug bag will be toooo heavy,too bigggg and you will have to leave stuff home only to find out thats the lure they Hit. Good Luck AJ

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 09:39:51 PM »
Oh I know, :P  I would love to find out how much money I have spent on lures over the 50 years I have been at this sport.

I think I have either lost or just trashed so many lures it makes my head spin.

I usually limit my surf bag to only about a dozen and a half lures I take at any one time I go out.

I just picked up some new hooks that I will be making some new teasers out of.  2/0 in size both in conventional and circle.  I will try making smaller ones and a lot simpler then the last ones.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 08:50:26 PM »
as far as Plugs some reliable are: for the night time -metal lip black swimmers or divers.In the Am:white polaris poppers or gibs.In the day:metals ava 007.17.27s.Also get some shads and crippled herring and bucktails.Tie a tieaser and PLUGGGGGGGG away.Keep Plug Bag under 50lbs and your cost under 1000.00 dollars,and set up a LARGE storage space in the garage.Good Luck,AJ

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 11:22:24 PM »
Trust me I think I tried them all and then some over the years.  The ones I keep going back to though are the Striper Striker by Creek Chub.  I have caught more fish on that lure than any other I think.

My bag is full though of a bunch of goodies from the Striper Strike in different sizes and colors to AVA's from 007's to 47's.  Polaris plugs to needle fish and a bunch of metal lip swimmers and divers.

I make my own teasers in a verity of colors and patterns and in different size hooks.

Over the winter I will be making my own plugs once I decide which lathe I want.  There are a number of good midi lathes but I have to make a choice and it is difficult.  I ordered one but did not care for it plus it was backordered anyway, so the search goes on.

Oh well, I am gong to make up my decision after the holidays.  i like the one from Penn Industries.  It has unlimited variable speeds and hi torque at all of them.

Decisions, decisions...

If any one makes their own plugs and use a lathe let me know how you like yours.  I hate to go back to making broom stick plugs, even though they worked. 

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2007, 12:22:14 AM »
Thanks Ed, Yeah I see the difference these resemble a spearing or similar bait fish and are more flat as oppose to having that diamond shape.

I will be stopping by Wal Mart tomorrow for a honey do I will look for them there if not I will make a trip to Grumpys. If they don't have them I will take you up on your offer 

I stopped at B & N today to pick up this months NJ Angler and I have to agree with someones remark about the non friendly atmosphere there.  The person behind the counter wasn't very pleasant.  I tried to strike up a conversation and all I got was a yep or nope.  I was the only one in the store at the time.

Oh well, they still have some great stuff even so... :)

Paul

I have to agree with you Paul.  John Jr. is a good guy, but I have gotten an attitude from in the past.  Not always, but sometimes he can come off like you are interupting his day or something. 

On the other hand, John Sr. was the nicest guy in the world!  He always was very helpful and patient when I had questions or just came in to read "the book".  Many years ago he gave me some good (and simple) advice.  While going through the entries one day to see who was catching what and where, he just glanced over and me and casually said, "If you live by that book, you die by that book."

It sounded simple enough, but I instantly realized what he was saying.  "All those catches are in the past.  Find your own fish and don't worry about what other's did!"  That has stuck in my mind for a long time, and although I'm not a great fisherman by any means, that has made me a much better fisherman today.

Thanks John, wherever you are! t^

-Bob

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2007, 12:46:28 AM »
 TT^

Good advise.

That is why when I am showing someone new to the sport one of the things I tell them is to not be swayed by what others do.  learn the basics like how to read the beach, how to not over cast, and don't be afraid to try new things.

Reading the beach can be simple and if the water is rough and high you can always rely on the sand to tell you where the rips are.

Don't over cast, most of the fish I caught were right at my feet in the wash.  Everyone tries to cast beyond the outer bar.  What I do is cast onto the bar and drag the lure into the slough and hold on, if there is a fish there he is yours.  If not move on.

Don't be afraid to try new tactics.  That is why my box is so full of lures.  I have depleted my bag quite a bit in the past couple of years due to arthritis and new hips and since then there are so many new thing out on the market I have to take my time but I will load up the surf bag once again with new stuff.

I will be trying new patterns on teasers and new paint on a lot of lures that have great shapes but the colors are off.  Look in the bargin bins if they are wood grab them and repaint them.  I also re hook many of he plugs I have to a single hook in the rear and tie on either white or some variation of hair or feathers.

All of these can be great winter projects.

Go to the beach on a nice day and do some research.  learn how to read the sand not only the water.

Above all have fun doing it.  If not try golf.

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Chris n

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2007, 05:16:31 PM »
I normally use a bomber--green black or yellow

A big swim shad--in white or green

and AVA jigs--green or yellow tail

whenever I throw metal I find a bluefish. And yes I use a teaser most of the time and catch a fair amount of fish on it t^
shut

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2007, 06:00:39 PM »
Thanks Chris,

Yeah that is the consensus so far.  I like using teasers but on order to get them to mimic the real thing I find I have to tie them in the 4 - 5" range and if I am throwing plugs they have an effect on the distance. 

I just tied a couple today that are 4" long but with smaller hooks in the 1/0 - 2/0 range I will see how that works.

But that is negated by the fact that most of the fish I catch are in the wash anyway.

When I throw metal it doesn't make too much of a difference.  Especially the AVA 27 & 47's.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-