Author Topic: Jigging For Stripers  (Read 9815 times)

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Re: Jigging For Stripers
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 10:08:23 PM »
Most of my jigging is done with #20 Momoi mono. I'll add a 48-60" length of #25 leader via Yucatan knot and tie my jig directly to the leader. On occasion, especially when using jigs over 6 ounces I'll bump the leader up to #30.

Never really had a problem with bite offs.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 12:23:36 AM »
Match the hatch is good and I agree, but I fish the suds and many times you can't see the bait till someone brings a keeper in and opens up the belly to see what they are feeding on.

Besides I enjoy messing around changing stuff around.  I will take off the tubing and replace it with a length of black green with a little flash to mimic eels as well.  I will tie one up tomorrow and post it somewhere on here.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Reel Class

• Sponsor
    • Reel Class website
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 06:59:33 AM »
Paul, you can still identify the bait in the surf, it actually may be easier doing it from there then it is from the boat.

Peanuts dimple, herring get smashed by gannets (sometimes sandeels do too), sandeels can be see swimming right near the surface as long dark blotches, and baits like rainfish and spearing will flick around.  Oh an mullet, look for the VEE!

Leader does matter, I use a lil heavier then Doc uses in the 30-40# range but YES its very crucial!

Capt Allen
Reel Class Charters
Point Pleasant, NJ
www.reelclassfishing.com
(201)248-5281

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 07:24:23 AM »
Allen, if you recall I didn't have to much of a problem with bite offs last Friday except towards the end of the day. I did lose one Yo-Zuri jig in that crazy bluefish blitz (and I know you'll get a chuckle out of this--I can't find anyplace that sells those jigs anymore so I can't replace it & you know how much that bothers me  :'()

I will however bump my leader strength up to at least #30 (maybe even #40) when using butterfly jigs because of the location of the hooks is much closer to the leader than other styles of jigs.

One thing I forgot to mention to you on Friday was that I was using flurocarbon leader....think thats why I had more hookups?

Offline Reel Class

• Sponsor
    • Reel Class website
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 09:46:23 AM »
Doc, I honestly doubt it b/c I really don't think fluoro doesn't make that much of a difference in inshore fishing.

Where it does make a difference is offshore fishing, like tuna chunking. 

Capt Allen
Reel Class Charters
Point Pleasant, NJ
www.reelclassfishing.com
(201)248-5281

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 10:14:57 AM »
Doc, I honestly doubt it b/c I really don't think fluoro doesn't make that much of a difference in inshore fishing.

Where it does make a difference is offshore fishing, like tuna chunking. 

I tend to agree but it seemed that I was hooking up 3:1 over the others.

Check your email in reference to another subject

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 09:22:13 PM »
I was reading a thread on another site about jigging for stripers.  They were going over what types of jigs to use (diamonds, AVAs, crippled herrings, Storm shads being the most popular choices), but I had a couple questions that I thought I would bring up here on this topic.

What do most of your prefer to tip the jigs (if using something like the diamond) with?  One guy mentioned pork rinds, but how about clams?  Maybe a clam strip would attract the stripers.

Additionally, when attempting to jig for stripers, is it best to judge only by bird action/FF display or target certain spots that have structure, topography features?  How about when fishing in the river, where the water is shallower?  Is jigging still effective, or should you cast out a long way with a Storm shad and retrieve?

Sweetners- If you insist on using one, use one of these: long, thin soft baits, sand eels, worms sqiud.

Like pizza, I like  plain better.

River jigging- JIGS are still effective, retrieve them like softbaits with a whip retrive
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:23:53 PM by blynch »
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-