Author Topic: Plugging for Stripers, what rod? (modified)  (Read 4472 times)

Offline tabasco_joe

• Full Member of the Den
Plugging for Stripers, what rod? (modified)
« on: May 10, 2007, 11:36:08 AM »
I had to follow Pauls plug thread with some questions on rods (and reels) for surf plugging?  (There may be a similar thread elsewhere on the site which I couldn't find with a quick search.  If so just give a pointer to it.)

What rod lengths, weight ranges, reel types, are people finding work well for throwing plugs to stripers?  Any specific brand recommendations?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 07:19:00 AM by tabasco_joe »

Offline robsrodnreel

• Robs Rod n Reel
Re: Plugging for Stripers, what rod? (modified)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 09:06:15 PM »
ive been throwing an 8 ft tica with a 4500 bait runner on it. the rod is nice and light, but does have problems with the cork tape handle loosening (mine hasnt yet but ive seen others get pretty bad quickly). the reel is a bit heavy for this, but i also use this rod to throw eels from the surf hence the baitrunner.  once i get some time ill build myself a nice plugging rod, but until then this is my set up

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 10:11:22 PM »
Hi All,

I use a Van Staal, Shimano Stradic 4000, Shimano Baitrunner 3500, or Penn Z series (bailess) depending on the plugs I want to throw and the time of year.

Now, the rods get interesting because depending on what you are throwing, a different rod may be in order. For example, those skilled in throwing pencil poppers use a long rod (10ft.) with a very soft tip. They put the butt of the rod between their legs and the tip straight up. They can make that pencil popper do wild things. I do not even try their technique.

I have many custom rods as well as St. Croix. One can certainly use an 8 ft. Ugly Stik and have fun.

I will be throwing LARGE wood plugs soon. Last week, I was using a Shimano Stradic with a St. Croix Avid 8 ft. rod (ASRS80M) throwing white storm shads.

I will use a Van Staal with a custom 8 ft. 6" rod for large wood plugs.

I think an 8 ft. Ugly Stik (BWS 1100/1101/1102) with a Shimano Baitrunner 3500 is hard to beat and will not kill your pocket. You will even be able to use thissetup on a boat, although you may wish to shorten up on the rod.

Fire the questions/comments away!

Capt. Ed

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 09:09:39 PM »
Hi All,

I was looking at some rods today and at $70 or so the Shakespeare 7' Ugly-StikĀ® BWSG 1102 is hard to beat for throwing plugs of all sizes at a good price.

Thanks,

Capt. Ed

Offline tabasco_joe

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 12:14:51 PM »
I picked up an 8ft Tica at Harrys on Saturday.  They had 20% off all fishing gear.  Have to get out this weekend and give it a try.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 01:03:41 PM »
Good luck...The law is new rods always catch fish...LOL

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 11:42:36 PM »
Hi Tabasco,

Good luck with it ... there are certainly fish around to break it in!

Best wishes,

Capt. Ed

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-