Author Topic: want to try surf fishing  (Read 51251 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: want to try surf fishing
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 08:58:30 AM »
Good luck Bunkerman!

TT^

Offline bunkerrman

• Wayne Bunker
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 09:04:51 AM »
 I was a Sprinkler Fitter and we used Blaze orange PVC pipe on some jobs. I took a few scraps of 2" and tapered the ends and made them 20" long. They work excellent and I don't have to worry about them being stolen. Leaving tonight and going to be fishing pre-dawn at the beach. I can't wait. Going to have to have the girlfriend put the site on her BB so she can post if we catch. She posts to my FB and I usually do my CTFisherman reports after my pics are DL to the computer. I'm like a little kid right now. Thanks for the welcome also.
I pay for the pleasure of fishing through taxes and time. I enjoy the fresh air, the fellowship of anglers and sometimes watching others catch is more enjoyable than catching myself.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 09:08:55 AM »
I was a Sprinkler Fitter and we used Blaze orange PVC pipe on some jobs. I took a few scraps of 2" and tapered the ends and made them 20" long. They work excellent and I don't have to worry about them being stolen.

Cool!  You might still have to worry about them being stolen(this is the NJ Shore :-\), but they won't be able to hide them ;D.

TT^

Offline bunkerrman

• Wayne Bunker
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 09:21:50 AM »
Aha! The thing is, I have lost 40# and still @ 270ish 6'1". I am never more than 10' from my rods. I'm a big guy that ends up with a gaggle of kids that want to touch and let the fish go. I may have to train some of those kids to attack on command. The Bunker Brigade. Hmmm, I may have to print up T-shirts.  ;D
I pay for the pleasure of fishing through taxes and time. I enjoy the fresh air, the fellowship of anglers and sometimes watching others catch is more enjoyable than catching myself.

Offline PAMonger

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 08:46:22 AM »
Hey guys, I'm a new member as well and this thread is exactly what i was interested in.  I'd like to try some of the early season clamming action for stripers or even fishing in the bays off the shore.  I've been strictly a boat fisherman in the saltwater but I'd like to try the shore fishing this year.

Any advice for the spring run (April-early May?)

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 08:49:17 AM »
well they are already starting to catch in the back bays but water seems to be a little to cold for the ocean to bring the stripers out just yet...Go with small hooks 3/0 or 4/0 circle hooks and little bits of clams if your clamming or artificials
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 12:11:43 PM »
Cliffwood beach area is always a nice early season area
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 12:50:01 PM »
For true Spring Run Stripers in the Ocean...anywhere the bunker pods are is good!

However, you can always catch some early stripers and resident fish in the bays and inlets.  Some of these fish can be good size.  I know the Barnegat Bay and lower Rivers have been producing some fish.  Always have a chance of some being oceanside as well.

What area of the State are you looking to fish?

TT^

Offline PAMonger

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 10:22:27 PM »
For true Spring Run Stripers in the Ocean...anywhere the bunker pods are is good!

However, you can always catch some early stripers and resident fish in the bays and inlets.  Some of these fish can be good size.  I know the Barnegat Bay and lower Rivers have been producing some fish.  Always have a chance of some being oceanside as well.

What area of the State are you looking to fish?

TT^

I'm looking for any area Manasquan Inlet and north.  I think the gear that I will be using (med 7' spinning rod with 30# braid) is more suited to bay/inlet fishing than ocean, but I'm just looking to try out some inlet fishing for stripers.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 11:04:31 PM »
Sandy Hook has some good Bay Access and if you walk out to the point you have the Bay meeting the Ocean.  Manasquan Inlet is always worth a shot...although slow this time of the year...Canal too.  I am not Monmouth County savvy, so I can't help with that.

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 11:15:03 PM »
 whs

Now if you went from the inlet south there are tons of places we could tell you to try.  Just hang in there and I am sure some of the guys up north will be jumping on over the weekend.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline cfishigotu

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2011, 02:47:22 PM »
You new guys might want to join a fishing club. It's what got me going and I learned a lot.

There are plenty of them around. Not all are friendly and open to new members. It will depend on where you are from and where you fish and what they are about.

For me, I like the Hudson River Fishermen's Association. They have a group of guys, a few dozen, that hit the beach's up and down the coast of NJ all season through December.

Anyway, that is where I learned a lot. Now I am part of their Surf Fishing Team in some local ASAC tournaments. They also get many 10 percent discounts at many local tackles shops from Bergen County through Ocean County.

Well worth it.

www.HRFA.us t^
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 02:56:03 PM by cfishigotu »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 10:41:29 AM »
I for one do not like the politics of clubs.  I have put my time in and, well, fishing my area for over 50 years I seem to like the group of guys that hang on the beaches and have no need for clubs.

I and a lot of guys on the beach are always willing to help anyone that comes along.  I don't know how much equipment I have given away and or taught to read the beaches but for a lot of guys clubs are a good way to learn.

Either way there are always ways to learn especially with spring on the way it is time to get things ready to go.

May is just around the corner.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline cfishigotu

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 10:49:56 AM »
Paul, that is true with many clubs. But this guy is just starting out. There were several clubs I belong to that were more "social clubs" than fishing clubs. I have left those clubs and stuck with a good one. Great comradery too.

You have to start somewhere. This is just a suggestion.

Offline rigsbydaniel

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 01:20:13 AM »
have been surf fishing for 15 years and i learn somthing new every year dont get disapointed its like going back to schoolget out ther you will learn

Offline SeaWyfe

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 02:49:02 PM »
I am another neebie @ Surf fishing. All great information! I will have to read the sand! msfsh

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 04:10:48 PM »
 wa
I am another neebie @ Surf fishing. All great information! I will have to read the sand! msfsh

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »
If anyone needs help just ask as there is a lot to learn as you will find out.  Especially now that Sandy has ripped through our area and the bars, cuts and slough's are not there like last year.

Now would be the time to start your learning process and begin with the basics.  Learn to read the sand, figure out what baits frequent the beach areas and try to use those or if artificials are to be used come close to the patterns in artificials the so called "Match the Hatch".

As far as equipment goes don't go wild and try to buy everything you think you would need to start.  Pick if you will be using natural baits or if artificials will be your first choice.  If it were me the simplest would be using bait first.  This way you can get use to the different baits available through out the season and the following year start to migrate to artificials.  Cost wise this would be the inexpensive way to go as well.

Like I said in starting out,  ask a question and I am sure there will be tons of answers that will come your way.  Just stick to a system, learn it well and then go on to try something else.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline waynejr83

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2013, 02:54:08 AM »
Hello everyone, I am still somewhat new to surf fishing. If anyone wants to get together and go fish Brigantine let me know.

Wayne

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-