Author Topic: want to try surf fishing  (Read 51253 times)

Offline mustluke

• GOT BAIT?
want to try surf fishing
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:01:01 PM »
hi all I'm new to salt water fishing just started last summer.  so far i only fished Point Pleasent inlet, got some blue fish, sea robins and bunkers, its a lot of fun but I'm tired of those rocks. i really want to try surf fishing, i think i got all the gear that i need, 15" and 12" rods, each equipped with 35lb test pro line, rod holders and a beach chair with cup holders.  just want to ask if Point Pleasent or Atlantic City beaches are any good for surf fishing?

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: want to try surf fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 03:02:57 PM »
welcome.. Any beach is good if you find a good hole and bait.  Don't be disappointed if you fail to catch, its not an easy thing to do off the surf.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 05:03:45 PM »
 whs

Welcome.  If you don't know how to read the beach, take a look at the thread "Reading the Sand."  It will give you a great perspective on where to fish at any beach.  Sounds like you are all set up with the proper equipment.  You will defintely want to tape or use bandaids on your casting index finger b/c that PP will cut you up!  Also, where ever you fish, make sure you are familiar with the terrain.  You want to be safe out there at all times and the surf can be rough and unpredictable.

Good Luck and ask any questions you need answered.  I am sure someone here will be able to answer it for you!

TT^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 05:06:32 PM »
Hey Luke.  Welcome to the site.  You came to the right place.  For one.  these guys love helping others.. also.. there many here that just browse the site...  afraid to ask what they may thing are stupid questions..  Well there are no stupid questions!..  Ask away..and you'll be catching fish in no time t^

But as Nick says..  The surf is tough.

Rod

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 05:09:22 PM »
We are meeting up so just sign you name to the list and I will learn you TT^
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline Angela Rose Charters

• Angela Rose Charters
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 07:12:14 PM »
Hey ,
 Run a course of 195 degrees on Rt. 35. When you come to 2 water towers.. Lavallete and Ortley, come hard to port to 090 degrees... Steady on course and slow your speed to you see da beach. Once your sandborn, look north and south... Where ya see most of the people, sneek in between but not too close... Theres a bunch of "grumpy old men" out here on the beach with us and ya always wanna give each other room....
 If you see me, go the other way.. I haven't caught a fish yet.. I am of no luck to you pal...

Capt. A

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 07:27:51 PM by Hotrod »

Team Luna Sea 3 / Angela Rose
1st Annual Fluke Tourny 3rd Place Winners

2nd NJSWF.com Fluke-a-thon 4th Place Winners

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 07:28:52 PM »
Hey ,
 Run a course of 195 degrees on Rt. 35. When you come to 2 water towers.. Lavallete and Ortley, come hard to port to 090 degrees... Steady on course and slow your speed to you see da beach. Once your sandborn, look north and south... Where ya see most of the people, sneek in between but not too close... Theres a bunch of "grumpy old men" out here on the beach with us and ya always wanna give each other room....
 If you see me, go the other way.. I haven't caught a fish yet.. I am of no luck to you pal...

Capt. A

rofla

Nice Post Capt A..

But these are Great Fisherman.. trust me t^

Sorry Capt A.  I didn't edit your post like it says.. I hit the wrong tab.. thought I was Quoting.. but it was modifying t^

Offline Angela Rose Charters

• Angela Rose Charters
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 07:36:33 PM »
 grtn
No Prob Rod..

I ran into a guy yesterday and I swear on my life, i thought he was going to rip my head off for saying good morning to him  nosmly... he scared the Pee out of me 5hrug.. he had me nervous all morning...  nosmly

Team Luna Sea 3 / Angela Rose
1st Annual Fluke Tourny 3rd Place Winners

2nd NJSWF.com Fluke-a-thon 4th Place Winners

Offline wingshooter

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 07:57:50 PM »
grtn
No Prob Rod..

I ran into a guy yesterday and I swear on my life, i thought he was going to rip my head off for saying good morning to him  nosmly... he scared the Pee out of me 5hrug.. he had me nervous all morning...  nosmly
yeah but you scare easily slt  hhppy hhppy chrz

dude Surf fishing can be frustrating and a lot of fun at the same time,, anyone can run a boat and chase fish all over the bay, surf fishing takes time patience and dedication,,,,  just start hitting th local beaches, make friends with some natives and before u know it youll be catching fish
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 04:11:35 PM by wingshooter »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 12:32:35 AM »
Welcome Aboard mustluke,

You are starting the sport of surf fishing at the right time as the Fall striper run is just starting and it looks like it will be a good one.  If we are really lucky it should last until January (wishful thinking).

Your equipment sounds good so you should be good to go in that department.  I would make sure that you stock up on fish finder rigs that have a hook leader of at least 18" or more.  Today I was switching leader length till I dialed it into using 24" and I was catching.  As far as hook size you will hear a lot of different answers but since you are new and want to catch just about anything I would recommend a 6/0 or 7/0 circle hook.  Any bigger and you will be eliminating a lot of smaller fish which can get frustrating.

Like P-man said read the article on reading the beach and get out there and HAVE FUN.  Go at low tide and watch for where the rips are causing a current on top of the water put that to memory and go back later and fish both sides of that area.  Remember you do not have to cast out all that far all the time.  If you would like to try just remember that there is a lot of water you just cast over that might be holding fish.  Fan our your casts and vary the distance and you should be alright.

Again Welcome Aboard

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline gagedylan

• http://www.myspace.com/husbandshatemeclub
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 06:46:52 AM »
there's alot of great areas to fish the surf in between pp and ac. i fish Barnegat inlet, and all of LBI. if you prefer the inlets, Barnegat is great, and there are only a few areas where you need to be on the rocks, and they are not those army corps things either
25' Chris Craft Sea Hawk W/A with twin Suzuki 140 OB

Offline mustluke

• GOT BAIT?
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 02:06:52 PM »
thanks for all the input, you guys are great the thread on reading the sand helped a lot  slt

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 02:20:55 PM »
Good Luck, if you want any more help just give a shout out that is what we are here for.

It does take a lot of work but once you have your beaches scoped out all it is is just a matter of find your favorite one to start with that one.  If the bite is off there move to another cut, I meet a lot of great people by doing this moving around.  One nice thing once they see you out there time after time a lot of the locals will open up and start to give away some more secrets you never would of thought of.

Don't be afraid to listen...By listening and being quiet I have learned a lot from the old timers that haunt the beaches. 

Remember after a good blow recheck as the rips and cuts may have moved.

Again Good Luck

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 11:08:12 AM »
Welcome! I am a big fan of the A.C. area for many reasons. There are alot of different places and terrains between beaches, boards, bricks and rocks. Depending on where you go, parking can be a bit trcky, but I have found a few good places that I would be willing to show you if you wanna set up a fishin trip. There is a local B & T that shows pictures of all of the fish that I didn't catch and has alot of supplies in an itty bitty room!

As for the beaches....I have not caught anything yet, but I know the fish are there because they come up sometimes and make faces at me  :P and point and laugh  rofla ...it's kinda mean  :'(  But thats OK, cause when I get me one of them big ole boys I intend to cut'm and cook'm   >:D Anyway, good luck, and give me a shout if you want company down in A.C.  chrz
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 12:10:36 PM »
As for the beaches....I have not caught anything yet, but I know the fish are there because they come up sometimes and make faces at me  :P and point and laugh  rofla ...it's kinda mean  :'(  But thats OK, cause when I get me one of them big ole boys I intend to cut'm and cook'm   >:D Anyway, good luck, and give me a shout if you want company down in A.C.  chrz

Those same fish must be up here in Ocean County, too!  They come up and stick their tongues out at me...sometimes they put their hands up to their ears and wave them at me too!!  Very rude rofla rofla!

TT^

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 08:14:39 PM »
Hey mustluke....welcome.
to me surf fishing is the essance of fishing in the salt. I've been from the beach to the canyons for tuna and find that a couple of hours surf fishing dollar for dollar can be the most relaxing of them all....Sounds like you have the right equip to start just get out there and have at it.

Tight lines.......

Offline beachwalker

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 08:15:11 PM »
Give it a try surf fishing for me is the most enjoyable fishing there is you wont catch anywhere near as much as boat fishing but thats part of the challenge.Also once you land a keeper Striper in the surf and you will if you really dedicate yourself to learning to fish the surf you will never want to fish from a boat again.

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 08:56:38 PM »
There is alot written on the subject if you are a reader. Don't be a loner! Make friends at your local bait shop to get the latest. Generally surf fishing picks up in the fall for bass/blues in ocean/monmouth counties. The mullet run gets things going in Sept and then.... till you've had enough. Summers are slowwww concentrate on fluke for the best action. Always watch for those noreasters in the fall they can trigger some great action. Oh yeah, by the time it hits the board it's all over  rgmn and you shoulda been here yesterday  rgmn

Offline bunkerrman

• Wayne Bunker
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 05:14:51 PM »
I'm heading down for more Long Branch Beach Abuse. 4th of July weekend I was there with my brother, girlfriend and a bud of ours. I caught a 12" Fluke and 10 seconds later, my bud says " I got something". We ended up all catching a fish within a one minute time after numerous stolen bait episodes. Total was 3 Fluke @ 12" and a 14" Sea Robin caught by my bro. 10 minutes later, my brother that rarely fishes and was the least interested amongst us, caught a 20" Fluke. He proceeded to brag along the boardwalk all weekend long about his "Mighty Fluke". Went down weekend of July 17th and caught a couple of Skate and small Fluke to 16". Caught my first Stargazer, which was extremely cool to me. If anyone is on the beach this wekend and sees 2 guys fishing and using orange sand spikes, say hello. Name is Bunker, just like the fish. Tight lines everyone, and can't wait to do a first report with pics.
I pay for the pleasure of fishing through taxes and time. I enjoy the fresh air, the fellowship of anglers and sometimes watching others catch is more enjoyable than catching myself.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 11:33:14 PM »
Good luck bunkerman.  My haunting grounds are a bit further south, Island Beach State Park.  The only problem is I usually do not go out on weekends to many people on the beach doing crazy stuff.  I guess I am spoiled living so close.

Happy Catching

Paul

PS: pretty cool with the orange sand spikes...  t^ grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-