Author Topic: Sea Hawk Sunday 10/5  (Read 1758 times)

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
Sea Hawk Sunday 10/5
« on: October 06, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »
Headed out on the Sea Hawk on Sunday. Better half decided she didn't want to get out of bed so headed to Perth Amboy on my own. Fairly light crowd, maybe 14 fares.

Wind was a bit more brisk than anticipated and wind against tide made anchoring a bit of a pain. Sat on one anchor at the reef for most of the day making adjustments and small moves. Overall a steady pick of jumbo porgies and some blackfish. Keeper seabass were few and far between.

I started out putting some real nice sized porgies into my cooler and then went to drowning crabs. Switched reels around on some rods and put my Ocea Jigger back on my GUSA tog stick. Didn't switch the leader and paid the price. I had light line on it as I was mostly using it for porgies and of course the first crab I put down to the bottom gets crushed. Hook a nice fish and get it up all the way to just seeing it underwater, dove back down and POP! Leader snapped right at the rig. Was a good fish, easily 7-8lbs and quite possibly bigger from the glimpse and the bend it put in the rod. Talk about disgust, frustration, etc...all I can blame is myself of course rgmn

Cut the rest of the leader off and quickly put on 50# leader material. Continued to try for blackfish for most of the day and picked away at some keeper sized ones. Did have one around 4lbs that was just edged out for the pool. Would of had 4 legitimate keepers if the limit was more than the current 1 and a few others I just released without measuring that could have been 14" as well.

Some struggled with fish but most on board put a good amount of jumbo porgies over the rail. Quite a few 1 fish tog limits as well. All in all a nice day on the water and got to catch up with some fellow fishermen that I have not seen in awhile.

Here's a few fish from my cooler I shared with Rob. Mates were already cleaning most of our porgies, but you can see just how big some of these are as the blackfish are 3.5/4lb fish.
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
Re: Sea Hawk Sunday 10/5
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 03:03:39 PM »
 Good Stuff Mike t^

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 03:07:13 PM »
Nice  t^ TT^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 03:41:22 PM »
Nice catch!

TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 08:45:58 PM »
Nice catch and report Mike.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 09:06:01 PM »
You sure can catch 'em GT!  Nice job! t^

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 05:18:30 AM »
 t^ nice
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 05:46:14 AM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-