Author Topic: Cast Net Throwing Technique  (Read 49682 times)

Offline nickfishbait

Cast Net Throwing Technique
« on: May 12, 2007, 11:28:09 PM »
Since there seems to be an endless list of throwing techniques, I'd like to know what techique is easiest for the beginner?
What technique are you using?

Thanks!
--Nick

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Cast Net Throwing Technique
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 11:34:37 PM »
http://www.ausfish.com.au/castnet/castnet2isdn.wmv

Hit Save/Save/Open

This is the one I Got down pretty easy.

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 07:00:37 AM »
all I can say is pratice throwing it in your yard ,they are well worth it ,just yesterday I threw the net one time and filled my wells w/ over 50 bunker

Offline nickfishbait

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 09:30:40 AM »
Actually I tried the second technique in this video and on the third try, perfect!

The only difference in the 2 techniques in this video is the placement of the lead line ... either in your teeth or on the shoulder.

--Nick
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:02:13 AM by Hotrod »

Offline Skunked

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 05:59:09 PM »
Out of all of the articles I read, I found this one to be the easiest.
 Here is the link http://www.floridasportsman.com/gear/G_0005_Divide/

Divide and Conquer Your Cast Net
Move up to a larger size net to fill your baitwell for serious offshore duty.
By Al Herum

Florida Keys charterboats usually spend time in the morning castnetting live bait, and a BIG cast net is the weapon of choice. It's fast and deadly, but it takes a bit of skill to throw. Pancaking a 14-foot net that weighs as much as a bowling ball is easy for an experienced charterboat mate, but can you learn to make something other than a big splash with an XL net? Well, if you have used small cast nets previously, moving up to a 10- to 12-foot net will not be difficult with just a little practice and a proven throwing method.

There are numerous ways to load and throw a cast net. All do essentially the same thing: divide and conquer. Divide the net into sections small enough to throw, allowing a portion of the lead line to pull the net open, and it becomes easy. However, some of the throwing styles that work well with small nets just don't cut it with a large, heavy net. Here is one technique used by professional fishermen throwing nets as large as 14 feet that is a proven bait-getter.

Start just as you would with a small net. Attach the loop at the end of the drawstring to your left wrist if you are right-handed. (Southpaws, everything will be opposite for you.) Now coil the drawstring into your left hand until you reach the horn of the net. Then grab the horn of the net and stretch the net and brail lines away from the lead line. Continue coiling the net into your hand so that when you are done the last remaining section of net hanging from your hand is equal to the distance from your waist to your ankles (photo 1). It is best if you use a maximum of two coils with the net itself so that you are only holding the looped drawstring and three sections of net in your hand.

Now you should be holding the whole net with your left hand. With your right hand reach down and gather a small section of the net closest to that hand (photo 2). About six feet of lead line will be sufficient. Control this section of net by holding the netting itself about a foot from the lead line, just as if you were holding a sack full of potatoes.

Now, hold the large portion of the net that is in your left hand slightly away from your body. Take the small portion in your right hand and swing it under your left arm and over your left shoulder. With the lead line now draped over your shoulder, grab the inside lead line and slide it along your shoulder toward your neck, allowing the outside lead line to hang off your back (photo 3).

You need to divide the remaining portion of the net hanging from your left hand into two sections. To do this, use your right hand to flip short sections of net over your right shoulder until slightly more than half the net remains in your left hand (photo 4). Now lower your right shoulder so that the net slides off onto the top of your right wrist (photo 5). Move your hand back until you can grab the net, holding the lead line with your thumb and forefinger and the netting itself with your other three fingers (photo 6). That's it; the net is loaded and ready to throw. Sounds complicated I know, and it is the first time or two. But after that it becomes second nature.

To throw the net, begin with your hands together and start a back-swing opposite the direction you plan to throw the net (photo 7). Before starting the forward swing, allow the net to come to the top of the back swing. Don't try to force the net into moving forward while it is still moving away from your body. As your forward swing begins, your upper body should rotate toward the direction that the net is going. You should throw the net up at a slight angle; this permits it to clear any obstacles that may be around you (photo 8). The net should be released from your hands as your arms reach full extension and your torso is facing the direction of the throw. Once the net is airborne it will start to open and if the angle is right the lead line closest to you will hit the water first, assisting in further opening the net (photo 9).

If your first few throws look more like a banana than a pancake, don't get discouraged. Everybody has to start somewhere. Practice by making two or three throws at a session with a long break between additional throws. You can experiment to see how it affects your throws by varying the amount of net you place on your shoulder, in your right hand, and the distance from your left hand to the hanging lead line. These three items will affect how the net opens and the distance you are able to throw it. Once you figure out what works best for you just load the net exactly the same way each time you cast it.

Unloading the bait from a large net is a little different from unloading a small net. Once you have the net up to the side of the boat, don't just heave the whole thing aboard. It makes for tangled mesh and extreme difficulty in removing the bait from the net. Instead, with your right hand grab all the brail lines about three feet down from where they connect to the drawstring. With your left hand grab the horn of the net and bring it to your right hand. Hold the horn and the brail lines with your right hand; don't let the horn slip any farther up the brail lines.

Using your left hand, shake all the bait down to the bottom of the net into what is now a much smaller "bag." Once that is done use both hands to bring the net in over the side. All you have to do now is move the horn the rest of the way up the brail lines and all the bait should dump easily out of the net.

It is nice to be able to throw a perfect pancake with the cast net every time you use it, but it is certainly not required to catch bait. Remember, a banana with bait is better than a pancake without.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 08:36:48 PM »
It's all about practice practice practice, when I statrted with the net years ago my neighbors thought I was nuts out in the yard at all hours.......but it paid off TT^ t^

Offline Skunked

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 09:11:32 PM »
Joe

I got it down now with the net. I will be heading out Thursday afternoon and fishing into the evening and then getting a hotel room and fishing Friday. Next week I am on-track for 5 days. I will give you a shout Thursday am.

Offline castnetguru

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
hi, go to this site and look at the paragraph, this technique is one of the easiest out there:  http://cast-net-tips.weebly.com/

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 07:25:53 PM »
Sounds cool.  A video would help your info a little

Offline castnetguru

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 05:25:27 PM »
ill do that, thanks.  slt

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 05:41:08 PM »
Cool. Let us know when you have it t^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 02:33:56 PM »
Good Stuff Capt Chris t^

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 08:31:16 PM »
Nice to look at again
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »
i still haven't perfected this yet.  thud ...i am determined though  ;)

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 09:04:34 AM »
i still haven't perfected this yet.  thud ...i am determined though ;)
Joe, Even after that almost 1 on 1 we got at the Fishing Expo from Charlie Kay, can't believe your still having trouble  hhppy
What did Charlie tell us practice for 1 hour a day for 10 days  rgmn rgmn thud based on his throwing technique.  thud
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 03:27:12 PM »
 thanks skip, i'll get it. not sure if charlie's technique is the best for me though  rgmn. the guy in this video seems better (for me). eventhough they're almost the same...practice, practice, practice. i better hurry cause i'm gonna need bait!

Offline lost sailor

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 03:28:57 PM »
When I was learning to throw my 10 footer, I made sure that I had it down in the yard first. When I got on the boat, I was like a soup-sandwich. Getting tangled and throwing bananas..... I am pretty sure that I heard laughter a few times from other boats.  rgmn

What really helped me was throwing the net over the railing on my deck. If you can throw over the railing of a deck, you can throw off of a boat.

Play Time is Over.

Offline overbite

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »
If you want very good videos and descriptions on how to Throw a cast net just open Google and Google search ( HOW TO THROW A CAST NET ). There are Many You tube videos and sites to go to. Good luck Bill

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 09:39:39 PM »
If you want very good videos and descriptions on how to Throw a cast net just open Google and Google search ( HOW TO THROW A CAST NET ). There are Many You tube videos and sites to go to. Good luck Bill

I agree, youtube has really stepped it up since this thread was started over 5 years ago.  ;D
Z

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 09:54:52 PM »

I agree, youtube has really stepped it up since this thread was started over 5 years ago.  ;D

Now that!!.. is Funny rofla

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-