Author Topic: Birds, Bass & Blues 10/31  (Read 3115 times)

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Birds, Bass & Blues 10/31
« on: October 31, 2008, 08:31:12 PM »
Met T-bone, Donnie and nephew Joey at the marina and pushed off shortly after 7:00.  The AH fleet looked like the Spanish Armada working there way out through Sandy Hook bay toward the tip.  Clear signs that the bass bite was rock solid.  Weather was crisp.  Water temps 55-56 degrees, westerly wind 10-15 as the day progressed.  We had a half bushel of clams that would have been plenty of bait for the day assuming we would need any at all.  The plan was to drop anchor at Romers Shoal and if necessary work the beach. 

When we reached the SH channel and south a bit toward the rips, eagle eye Donnie spotted bird action what seemed to me a good mile away.  Now, I have coke bottle lenses that supposedly are corrected to near 20/20 but I couldn't see a damn thing.  Moving on a course of 180, sure enough the mass of birds (actually two separate flocks) started to materialize.  A small handful of boats were locked in on the same flocks.  Rods bent, birds crashing, water busting, metal/plastic flying...  Pure mayhem and a whole lot of heaven ;)  T-bone announces the prize for first fish of the day..... Mr. Creative comes up with WAWA soft pretzel as the incentive.... If only he had mustard, I think we would have tried a little harder.  Joey, fishing light tackle, is wrapped on a hopkins and begins reeling in line with fish on.  Meanwhile, T-bone's plastic shad gets bumped, bumped again and then devoured by one nasty alligator blue and he has to retie.  Joey is still working the light gear.  Donnie is on.  He's also using some lighter tackle and this fish is giving him a workout.   Patience, patience, patience.   This guy is solely dedicated to getting this fish boat side and working that light gear like a pro.  Joey's fish finally gets to boat and there's a call for the net.   NICE fish.... nothing enormous but a respectable 30".  The WAWA is delivered and the kid is grinning ear to ear.  Now Donnie's fish gets to the boat and spits at the last moment. The shad was one mangled chunk of unidentifiable plastic.  Patience does pay off, he got his plastic back. rofla

The action continued.... We chased birds for the better part of two and half hours back out between the SH and Ambrose along with a couple of boats that stayed on the flock.  T-bone got into a fish that we all thought was a monster blue.  The fish stayed low the entire time.  Peeled line routinely. Never finned or surfaces.  T had a few choice words regarding the drag on his Shimano baitcaster.   But at the end of the day, his fish was the largest of them all taping out at 31.5"  I don't think he's going to rid himself of the baitcaster too quickly  ;D  We continued to work a few more bass and blues.  I caught my only bass (one of the shorts) drifting clam on a fishfinder under the working birds.  The count was 6 bass and 10 blues.  4 of the bass were 24- 27 inches.  Blues were all 6-10lb range.

Unfortunately, in all the excitement you get a couple of overzealous boaters that have no regard for maintaining the presence of the fish and think nothing of busting right through the working birds.   I'm sure they did ok on the day but with a little consideration, they and everyone else could have done a lot less running and gunning and I'm sure would have had more fish to show for it.  So be it..... all right I'm off the soap box.

After the fish were sufficiently dispersed, and the wind started to crank, we went closer to the beach to set up for clamming.  By now it was getting close to noon and the bite seemed to turn off (with the exception of a few skates and a doggie). 

Had a little lunch (thanks Donnie), BS'd for a while and decided it was time to head back to the marina.  Back by 1:30.  Cleaned her up, took some more pics, filleted some fish.  What's not to like about Birds, Bass & Blues? 

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Birds, Bass & Blues 10/31
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 08:33:05 PM »
Great Trip!!>  Good goin guys!!

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 08:39:22 PM »
Sweet. chrz

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 09:31:49 PM »
Great day to be on the water. Good report and your smiles tell it all. Congrats TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 09:48:13 PM »
Looks like you all had a great time! ;D  Nice report.  Terrific catching! t^

Offline Tbone

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 10:52:45 PM »
Pilot, Another outstanding trip.  Great bird action & a few nice fish to keep everyone happy.  The only thing missing from your recap was the defective box of treble hooks you bought. I would return them and ask for your money back. ;D  TBone

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 11:22:25 PM »
Sweet report thanks... t^

Looking forward to doing the same tomorrow... slt
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 07:41:54 AM »
The only thing missing from your recap was the defective box of treble hooks you bought. I would return them and ask for your money back. ;D  TBone

I'm thinking of reporting them to the better business bureau  hhppy  By the way here's the link for the Porteguese fish stew.  Just substitute the striper.  The best..

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/portuguese-fish-stew-recipe/index.html

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 08:04:39 AM »
Great report and nice pics, thanks for posting the fish locations too. chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 08:29:59 AM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Last Call

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 08:53:16 AM »
Sweet,nice job!
LAST CALL

Farewell and adieu to you fair Spanish ladies,....
Farewell and adieu to you ladies of Spain,....
For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston,....
And so nevermore shall we be seeing you again.

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 09:53:54 AM »
nice TT^
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 09:57:11 AM »
 t^
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 10:15:25 AM »
Nice report and day of fishing with the boys.It was a great day to be out there.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 12:33:37 PM »
Great report and nice catching!!

TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 06:38:15 PM »
Nice report and catch. Can't beat them WAWA pretzels. Pass the mustard please.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline FINITALIA2

• 43.8lbs. 49in.
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 09:23:20 AM »
 t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-