Author Topic: 11/17-11/18 Brigantine to Longport  (Read 3844 times)

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
11/17-11/18 Brigantine to Longport
« on: November 19, 2008, 02:58:40 PM »
Well, got chance to do some fishin on Monday. I headed down to try for some tog since I have had enough of not catchin striper! (never thought of the fact that I might be adding insult to injury). I hit the Brigantine pier at about 1 p.m. with a few poles, and green crab for bait. I dropped the greens out by the pier, and started throwin plugs and metals out in the hopes that I would pick up a bass or two. No such luck, and all that the crab was bringin up was a ton of cabbage.
   After a few hours of this, I decided to head out to Longport to see if the conditions were any better. I got to the pier after dark, and the lights were out on both the pier and the adjacent bridge. It was very dark, and the only lights to be seen at the time was a couple of headlamps on the fisherman at the pier. Again crab near the rocks and plugs and metals out deep. This time, no cabbage, but no fish either.
    The other guys took off and were kind enough to leave me a bit of bunker. I Put the head way out on my surfrod, using a lasersharp 8/0 hook, a fishfinder set up with 4 oz of lead. On the dead stick, Bunker strips, and again throwing the plugs and metals.
    I was able to witness one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Phosforence in the water brought the seas to life. Everything that moved had a blueish green glow I could see schools of small fish as well as a few big things swimming by. I could tell where my lines enter the water by the way the glow cut the lines. I could see where my plugs were as I retrieved them. Coolest of all was the knucklehead that went flying by in the distance on a speedboat. He looked like a comet flying through the water with a glowing tail. As I stated to Paul on the phone yesterday, it was a reminder that there is a Higher Power at work in this Universe of ours. In the midst of it all I put three decent ling in the box!
     I also snagged a small eel and then MOBY EEL It was about two or more feet in length and four or five inches thick in the middle. I don't know what to do with it so it is half frozen in a bucket of water right now. I would try to eat if if someone can tell me how to prepare it. Or, can eel be used as bait cut in pieces, since there is not much out there that could eat this thing whole! At least not where I can reach from the rocks! 
     I took the small eel to the rocks and tryed for a while but no luck. At 4 a.m., I headed home to the wrath of a wife who doesn't understand what can drive a man to fish for 15 hours straight. Of course, I can't understand what makes a woman watch "The Notebook" 15 times so I guess we are even  5hrug
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 03:03:39 PM by seanr8w »
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: 11/17-11/18 Brigantine to Longport
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 03:14:53 PM »
Nice report Sean.  At least you caught something in those 15 hours! t^

Have you been wearing your lucky shirt? ;D

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 05:05:41 PM »
Nice report Sean.  t^

That glow in the water can make the blood chill.  ;D
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:54:57 PM »
Great report and nice catch!  That glowing water has been very pronounced this year.  Hopefully is doesn't get worse.  You can keep those eel skins, salt them and use them on an eel skin plug!  They can be reused too, as long they don't get eat or ripped.  My grandfather used to eat eel, but I don't know how it was prepared.  I just remember it squirming in the pan.

TT^ 

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 06:09:23 PM »
I kinda remember from my surf fishing days that when the water was on fire, the fishing was poor. Don't know if it is true or not. Too far back to remember.  ;D
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 12:23:40 AM »
Yeah I can remember that as well Joe.  Even when my uncle would take me out with him on a number of boats at night when we say the glow in the Fall especially the talk would be about not catching.

It must be pretty heavy as there are other boards talking about it but we are the only one that is naming locations as Sean did.  What are they afraid of  5hrug
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 05:48:33 AM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Angela Rose Charters

• Angela Rose Charters
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 09:28:56 PM »
Isn't that an AWSOME sight Sean? I had the opertunity to witness that a few years ago when I was running the original Angela Rose off of Mantaloking. EVERYTHING that disturbed the water, glowed! Coolest sh!t I ever saw.

And they say the Alaskan Light as cool..

Team Luna Sea 3 / Angela Rose
1st Annual Fluke Tourny 3rd Place Winners

2nd NJSWF.com Fluke-a-thon 4th Place Winners

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-