Author Topic: The bite is still on.  (Read 8920 times)

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
Re: The bite is still on.
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2008, 12:04:09 PM »
A t^LWAYS  NICE TO HAVE SOME WIGGLING RESISTANCE ON THE OTHER END.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 12:26:01 PM »
That is very interesting!  The science of fishing...believe it or not it is not all LUCK!?

Anyone know why they say red evokes a feeding instinct in fish?  Or is this just a marketing ploy?  You see it all the time on alot of freshwater lures and hooks in general.

TT^

Offline captainbailey

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 12:00:32 AM »
Red is the first color to disappear. that is why auto insurance was always higher for red colored cars.

Why circle hooks on the teasers? I have a hard enough time using circles bait fishing, let alone fighting the urge to sink the hook in while I have a rod in my hand. And in that case, do you change the hooks off of your metal to circles 5hrug
Z

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 12:31:00 AM »
Why not???  I tie all my own stuff so I experiment with different things and a number 3/0 to 6/0 circles seem like a good sizes to tie so why not give it a try.  It cost me about $.50 to make a teaser so I have different color patterns and different hook sizes so now I will be trying different hook styles.

If you don't give things a try you will never know if things will or won't work.  I have been at this thing for over 50 years and I enjoy the total sport.  I sit at the computer at night and chat to a lot of interesting people and during the day I do a little writing for a project I am involved with.  So when ever there is a lull I tie something.

As far as crossing the fished eyes on every tug sounds to strenuous.  I am always looking to make things easier, I have had good luck with circles with bait so it just seems like the obvious thing to try.   5hrug

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 12:39:17 AM »
That is very interesting!  The science of fishing...believe it or not it is not all LUCK!?

Anyone know why they say red evokes a feeding instinct in fish?  Or is this just a marketing ploy?  You see it all the time on alot of freshwater lures and hooks in general.

TT^

It has been said that the color red looks, to a fish, like blood or (more likely) the flash of a fish's gills.  That is why many, many baits (both fresh and salt) from crankbaits to jerkbaits to bucktails to poppers to whatever are either painted or tied with a bit of red near the gill, mouth, or throat area.

Of course, this is all just theory.  I still haven't met anyone who asked a fish what they thought it was and managed get a straight answer out of one.  ;)

Still and all, I like a little red on some of my baits at times.  If it does nothing else, it may bolster my confidence in that particular lure a bit. t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 12:43:47 AM »
As far as using circle hooks on metals been there done that with not to good success.  If I can find some of the chatter from last year on that topic it should be a good read for you.

Don't be afraid to try something new you never know where it will lead.  That is what makes this sport so fascinating.  As a kid I used to make my own plugs out of old broom handles and they worked.  We caught fish on them, it was for the most part free and the biggest cost was the pocket knife.

Explore and have fun... grtn

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 06:32:52 PM »
Paul..I will be fishing Saturday early in Normandy Beach if you want to meet up....

That area seems to be Little less fished then others..

Color: I change the color of the plug... Before the size....

I fish the black/silver mambo minnow in the ocean this time of year... This is my go to plug 100% of the time... The back bay only yellow day or night.... I change for the color of the water.

RED like your talking about... I'm not 100% sure my self... I just know it works...

I use a 36" red tube for trolling along the beach with the kayak...Why bass hit this red tubes...I don't know
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2008, 12:20:45 AM »
Hi Dave,

I will have to see whats up for Sat I know I have to be in Newark up north by 5:00PM but early morning sounds like it might work.  Keep me posted.

I don't know why solid red works but Ray over at Grumpys swears by it lately.  I just bought some supplies over at B&N as I will be tying some teasers with red as the predominate color.  I was out the other day with no success I am looking forward to trying these red teasers to see what works and does not work.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2008, 06:26:56 AM »
Paul: I was able to get out early Saturday.... There was 2 guys fishing to the north of me using bait.... It was cold...I had ice on the rod and line.

I did get one little fish <))><... around 24"
but then I couldn't feel my fingers anymore so that was that.

I did stop at grumpys on the way home and saw a fish being put back into a truck... small but a keeper,
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 12:03:07 AM »
At least you got out.  This weekend has been a strange one as my wife tripped over my dog and broke her thumb.  Luckily it was not a total break but it did chip a little and went back into place.  You won't believe the colors that thumb is turning.   :-X

She was told not to go to work but hey when was the last time a women ever listened to a male anyway.   5hrug
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 12:12:08 AM »
OUCH!!  Hope she is feeling better, Paul.

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 12:26:14 AM »
As long as she stays on the Perkoset she should be fine till the swelling goes down.

It took over 3 hours to get in and out of the emergency room.  We were the only ones there that early in the morning.  I can't figure it out.  I wish the doctors were paid on their performance like the rest of us... :P nosmly
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2008, 07:26:02 PM »

I wish the doctors were paid on their performance like the rest of us... :P nosmly
[/quote]

If that was how they got paid 1/2 of them would go broke LOL

Hope the wife feels better Paul......

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2008, 10:53:18 PM »
Thanks guys, she made it through the work day today sore but she kinda knew that was the norm for the day.   And with out pain pills as well, not bad.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline irenegade

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2008, 07:42:39 PM »
Glad to hear your wife is on the mend, Paul!  I've been itching to break in my new neoprene waders but can't find the time!  Almost made it out in NJ Thanksgiving weekend! Had everything in the trunk and ready to go, but it wasn't in the stars.
How's the circles and the red working out on the teasers?
Anyone get out there this past weekend?
Jeff
One day I'll have a photo of me and my 1st Striper up instead of this cat.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
Hi Jeff,

The reds are still doing the trick for a few, but I am not to sure about the circles though, we will see.  It is all about confidence when it comes to subtle changes.

I did not get out over the weekend family stuff and all that.  It looks like I might not get out this weekend either, I'll see.  We are going to High Tea at an old B&B in Ocean gate on Sunday that should be an experience.  I have to think where to hide the flask... rofla rofla hhppy hhppy

As far as fishing here it has been pretty good for those that ventured out, with a lot of small bass to be had and a keeper now and then.

The bait of choice is the AVA's in the 007 or A17 size with a chartreuse or green tail for now.  They are saying that many are also using teasers and seem to be getting hits when nothing else has been working.

The other choice was the Storm Shad in pearl white or the natural color.

Good Luck if you venture out.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-