Author Topic: Winter Fishing without the cold  (Read 2834 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Winter Fishing without the cold
« on: December 28, 2008, 07:51:51 PM »
Hi All,

Well I decided to get out for a while thought I would start over at Ortley beach.  The sign on Rt 37 read Dense Fog Ahead, I thought they were talking about last night and had not changed the sigh yet.  The temp on the car thermometer was reading 65 and the weather was clear as a bell.

I started to get close th the Mathis bridge and then I could seed a gray clout and thought why can't I see the top of the bridge, Duh.  There was the fog in all its glory.  I checked the thermometer in the veh. and it read 54 degrees wow what a change.

Mu next thought well this aught to be interesting fishing in the fog.  Well the visibility was down to less than 1/8th of a mile.  By the time I reached the other side of Pelican Island it started to clear.  Parked in the 3rd Ave lot and the sun was shining and the water looked real interestikng.  the tide was going out and so I suited up and hit the beach.  The closest angler was about a 1/2 a mile to my south and that was good.

Threw on a new teaser and began to fish well the wind being out of the SSW really made it hard to catch anything.  All I had was one good hit and that was it.  The fog bank just off the beach was real cool though.

Fished about an hour and called it quits.  Headed over to Grumpys for a good cup of hot coffee and some great conversation.  It seemed like the catching part of the day was off everywhere but that was due in part because hardly anyone was out there.

Guys the fish are around and with the weather like it has been (warm) get out and be part of it.  I love to feel the different affects the seasons have on me.  I makes me feel alive knowing the cold hurt will go away and that adrenalin rush is fantastic when there is a fish on. 

I will be out there again tomorrow looking for that big one as I will be looking for some new prospects for some new paintings.

Hope to see some of you out there.  Let me know if you will be out and I will see if I can link up with ya.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Winter Fishing without the cold
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:58:28 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 09:00:01 PM »
   Paul, Nice report and Good Luck in the morning.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:24:08 PM »
Cool Paul.  Bet it was nice to just get that pole in the water t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 09:35:41 PM »
Good try again!  I was in Monmouth County last night on the beach front and then in Highlands.  Fog was pretty crazy.  Must have been a sight today!

TT^

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 10:44:06 PM »
Better luck tomorrow! t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 11:01:54 PM »
I hope so...It should be warm but not as warm as today.  The waters are starting to get colder almost time to start changing tactics.

As the water starts to get colder i will be switching back over to clams.  They are hard to find but that is OK as salted will work just fine.  Once the schoolies start to taper off on metals and the teasers I usually switch back to bait as the striped bass become less active.

Once they are not hitting moving lures that means that their metabolism is slowing down.  They will start to hit things that they recognize as food and be less aggressive to conserve energy.  As the water gets even colder start switching over to very small bits of bait as they will eat constantly on small bait to conserve even more especially on their digestive process.

If you have not tried this it should be an eye opener.  At this point they become very opportunistic and will grab at almost anything small.

I hope this helps those that were thinking of going out and not sure what to use.

Right now metals and teasers are working

As the water cools more switch over to clams or some form of fresh bait.

As the water gets cold end by using small pieces of clam or other form of bait so long as it is small.

Good Luck

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 08:08:15 AM »
Good advice Paul.
Go catch em up.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 12:04:33 PM »
Great reports Paul, You have a lot of great info and I thank you for sharing as always.   

t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-