Author Topic: Boat off Martha's Vineyard sinks August 6th, video  (Read 8991 times)

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
Boat off Martha's Vineyard sinks August 6th, video
« on: August 10, 2011, 03:05:23 PM »
Lots to learn from this video!   cfzd

[youtube=640,390]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4iBoL-KxS8&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:47:41 PM by Hotrod »
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Boat off Martha's Vineyard sinks August 6th, video
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:26:49 PM »
 cfzd cfzd cfzd
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:38:21 PM »
 :headscra:  I try not to be one of those that judge..  but..  6 miles out in that boat :headscra:
and we have enough money for a go-pro cam. But not an epirb or life raft...  :headscra:
Glad their all safe..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:53:56 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 03:51:50 PM »
:headscra:  I try not to be one of those that judge..  but..  6 miles out in that boat :headscra:
and we have enough money for a go-pro cam. But not an epirb or life raft... :headscra:

Glad their all safe..

My thoughts exactly.  Look, I have an old boat that I love and is well taken care of.  I'd venture 6 miles offshore, but you can be damn sure I check my bilge pump, both of them, and have everything I need at the ready.  The only thing these guys had "at the ready" was pure dumb luck. 

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 03:57:10 PM »
I'm sure the Go Pro Cam wasn't the Captains.  but he did say they were "3 seasoned sailors and engineers"... :headscra:

Offline NJ Guy

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:58:38 PM »
:headscra:  I try not to be one of those that judge..  but..  6 miles out in that boat :headscra:
and we have enough money for a go-pro cam. But not an epirb or life raft...  :headscra:
Glad their all safe..

yeah very true and how far did he throttle down to take the first wave wouldnt you try to putt putt in and keep bailing? andy your right dumb luck

still thank god they are okay... lucky they were in a high traffic area on a nice day

Offline NJ Guy

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 04:01:56 PM »
I'm sure the Go Pro Cam wasn't the Captains.  but he did say they were "3 seasoned sailors and engineers"... :headscra:

they were no macgyver thats for sure

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 04:05:48 PM »
Also if you look at them when they are fist in the water.... it's like they are laughing.. :headscra:

Something seems a little strange here..  IDK..

Edit.  Just read..
"Majewski had a camera on board and made a video of their experience and posted it to YouTube. He said he didn’t turn on the camera until a rescue boat was in sight."

Guess that's a reason to be happy..  Might want to note in the video.. ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 04:16:29 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 01:26:21 AM »
Well here it goes.. we have a 17 foot c/console that is 100% seaworthy all systems go bow to stern.We take her offshore 4,6,8,10 miles out farther in time.

We have 100% confidence in her because we check all of the systems on a regular basis(fuel electrical,bilgle pump(s),battery(s),blah blah blah)
  We also make it a point to actually touch and feel and look at ALL of the U.S.C.G safety equipment we are required to carry?Flares,jackets,fire surpression systems,throwables blah blah bla..Do you?If so How Often?
   We also treat the mercury that pushes her like one of the kide whatever it is,what ever it takes to make it right!wouldnt you?

When we are out there we listen to noaa not mumbo jumbo,we look at the wind the tide the way the water takes our boat blah blah blah.
     Im not hear to argue im just sayin you dont need a big boat to go offshore you just need common sense and a crew thats a team whos main goal is gettin back to the dock safe!!  even if it means empty fish holds or buckets.
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
Well I would say with the looks of that weather. I wouldn't have been out in that boat..

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
I thought it was odd also that they were all smiles while floating around. 
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 09:52:07 AM »
I've been racking my brain as to why this boat would go 6 miles offshore and then sink the moment they finally stopped.....how much you wanna bet they forgot the plug.  I bet they dropped it off the trailer, took off all excited to go so while the boat was on plane at speed, no water was coming in and any that got in during the time the boat was sitting in the water ran out while on plane.  They finally reach their spot, throttle down, water starts filling in and boom, they sink.  Too bad the answer it 100-125 feet below. 

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 10:02:53 AM »
Good Point.  The hull just doesn't fill with water for no reason.. and if you do have a leak..  you would know it..  and to rely on the bilge would be nuts..  I think you nailed this t^

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 10:34:01 AM »
As for the weather,yeah we wouldn't have gone neither.If we were out there and that was approaching id head to port for the safety of our crew.

We trust our bilge pump 100% however we don't just relie on it,this is where a little common sense comes to play.

It is a bit weird that it started to sink like that i thought about the plug also.I also found it a bit strange that they had smiles on their faces,maybe insurance job?

well,any way,at least no one died THIS time.Hopefully they learn a lesson.

Offline TRSteve71

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 02:39:28 PM »
Can we INSURANCE MONEY? Come on now. I saw the same smiling and laughing when they were in the water floating.

my take on this is, boat was in bad shape, hull was damaged beyond being able to sell it and so they sank it for the insurance money. They went 6 miles out which if you think about is right about where you see all those fishing boats and barges. they forgot the plug or they did something to make it sink "really fast" so it could not be recovered, in 120 feet of water. Come on this smells of insurance fraud all the way! Just my .02 cents.

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 03:01:08 PM »
Can we INSURANCE MONEY? Come on now. I saw the same smiling and laughing when they were in the water floating.

my take on this is, boat was in bad shape, hull was damaged beyond being able to sell it and so they sank it for the insurance money. They went 6 miles out which if you think about is right about where you see all those fishing boats and barges. they forgot the plug or they did something to make it sink "really fast" so it could not be recovered, in 120 feet of water. Come on this smells of insurance fraud all the way! Just my .02 cents.

I don't know, how much Insurance money are they gonna get on a 17' 1969 center console with what looks like some old 2 stroke outboard?    5hrug

I really think this had alot more to do with stupidity and dumb luck. 

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 04:40:50 PM »
Also.  You know that camera was running..  so we are stating to sink. let me turn off the camera.  if it was me. I'd make sure it on t^

That's good media ;D

IDK.. something just isn't right, but I could be wrong..

Offline NJ Guy

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 05:28:45 PM »
Also.  You know that camera was running..  so we are stating to sink. let me turn off the camera.  if it was me. I'd make sure it on t^

That's good media ;D

IDK.. something just isn't right, but I could be wrong..

i agree something veryyyyy fishy

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 06:37:15 PM »
Yup some thing is wrong here.I never sank but i woundnt be smiling thats for sure.The plug theroy sounds about right,but if it was that, as they sat at the dock after launching no one goes right away u do have to park the truck! The water would of came in quick enough for them to notice it...

Maybe before the camera was turn on they took the plug out(for insurance money) turned on the camera and then............................ :headscra:

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-