Author Topic: The best Florida wild boar hunting:  (Read 8545 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
The best Florida wild boar hunting:
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:18:24 PM »

I have been hunting as far North as Maine, and as far West as New Mexico. However, I will take hog hunting in Florida over any type of hunting I have ever done. After tracking deer for hours in the snows of Maine, I thought no hunting could possibly be any better. Even shooting that big old elk cannot begin to compare with sitting in a blind and hearing hogs approaching your stand, it is incredible!
I have been hunting hogs for the last 21 years at Madison County, Florida's Buck & Boar hunting club. . The hunting, and camp sight is outstanding. This year, I decided to try Tiger Island Outfitters.
The differences:
Buck & Boar: is a private hunting club. You pay the lease fee, and then you are completely on your own. You scout the area, 10,000 + acres,  set up your corn feeders, blind, tree stand. If you keep your feeders throwing corn, and hunt your stand on a regular basis, you will shoot hogs. After shooting your trophy, I have shot many 200+ ponders, you drag him to your truck, load him, take him back to camp, and butcher your prize.
The camp life at Buck & Boar is outstanding. We have running water, electricity, skinning shed, walk in cooler, and a big double bath house.
Tiger Island Outfitters: Hogs are free running in a large fenced wooded area containing a swamp, and the prettiest oak hammock you have ever seen. The Tiger Island hogs are as wild as those at Buck & Boar. As at Buck & Boar, the smaller 40-75 pound hogs are much easier to harvest. To be successful,  the trophy sized 150+ pound boars, require much more skill.  
I just returned from a very successful two day hunting trip to Tiger Island. I staid in the cutest little cabin you have ever seen. I was looking for a couple of small grilling sized hogs. The first evening I shot a beautiful 45 ponder. The next morning I sat until 11:00 A.M. and saw nothing. Wednesday evening I decided to ride around in their very quiet little golf cart. I shot a 75 # beauty. Then I decided to set in my blind until dark. About 6:30 P.M. I heard hogs approaching my corn feeder. Here, as at Buck & Boar, they approached very carefully. Is it safe to feed or not? Finally, a few smaller hogs began to indulge themselves. After a few minutes, I noticed this monster off to the side, a long way away. Please come in! What a beauty. He, as  often they do, looked directly at my blind. Contrary to popular belief, hogs can spot the slightest movement from a great distance. I remained perfectly still. Never-the-less, the hog of my dreams disappeared. Oh No! he is gone forever. Then, about ten minutes later, I saw this  monster sized head appear from behind a palmetto bush. Finally! Another chance. Then, as soon as he appeared, my trophy was gone. This guy is playing games with me. He thinks he is better than I am. Much to the monster's dismay, my 50+ years of hogging taught me how to deal with the smartest animal in the woods, the wild boar. This dude would poke his head out and laugh at me. You are in my house; you can't get me! With the slightest movement, he would show me that little grin on his face and be long gone. He managed to stay about 150 yards out. I cranked my Leupold scope up to six power, and positioned my Ruger # 1, chambered in the powerful 45/70, so as to require absolutely no movement when this monster with the big teeth appeared. Sure enough, he stuck that huge head out and looked at me. He was too far away for a head on shot. He turned his head slightly; that was all I needed. I knew that my Hornady 325 grain LeVerevolution would drop a couple of inches. I put the cross hairs on his left ear and squeezed off a shot. With the roar of a cannon, that ballistic tip Hornady was on its way. Instantly this hog of my dreams fell to the ground, kicked a little, and was forced to admit that he had finally met his match. I re-loaded my single shot # 1, and very cautiously,  approached this beast. A wounded boar can be very dangerous. When I saw the shot placement, just below the ear, I knew the battle had finally been won. Before the hunt, a radio was provided for my use. I called my guide, James. Within minutes, he, along with owner Cricton & Cricton Jr.  arrived with a fork lift, picked up my trophy, posed for pictures, took this beast back to camp, and, before I arrived back at camp, he was professionally butchered, loaded into my ice box, covered with ice, and put onto the back of my truck. What an experience. I was give out. Gosh! An AC cabin, hot shower, a good meal, and a comfortable bunk, topped off with a real trophy, resulted in a hunting experience I will never forget. I will be back.    
   In conclusion, Clubs, such as Buck & Boar, as well as Outfitters, such as Tiger Island, have a great deal to offer the serious hunter. Tired of using the same bullets year after year in a management area; disgusted with  seeing nothing but thousands of other hunters. If you have the time, energy, finances, and desire to hunt on your own, check out a top of the line hunting Club like Buck & Boar. If you have the desire, but not the time, energy, or finances, give a top notch Outfitter like Tiger Island a shot. You will be glad you did. And, oh yes, have a big freezer ready; you will need it!    Bob Harbison  native Florida Hunter & Fisherman

My elk from New Mexico, deer from Maine;

Deer from Georgia:

Turkey & hog from Buck & Boar:

My trailer & cook shed @ buck & Boar:

A great cabin @ Tiger Island:

Hogs as seen from my Buck & Boar stand, same as Tiger Island:

Tiger Island hogs, same as Buck & Boar:

Loading my hogs, owner Cricton Sr., Jr., guide James

This is a real problem @ Buck & Boar; not Tiger Island:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:19:34 PM by harbison »

Offline Offshore Madness

• Super Hero Member
Re: The best Florida wild boar hunting:
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 07:10:21 PM »
AWESOME>>>>>super pictures............love the last one of the bear. slt chrz chrz
Why does it Matter to you? cause I could careless.........

Offline Fireman Ed

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:23:08 AM »
Those are some awesome pics!! my uncle leaves in texas an the hunt boars with ak's an AR 15's i never seen a wild pig but i heard they can be big an mean would love to hunt one some day! t^
IBSP #4333-1 Gray Ford F-150. Go Big or Go home empty handed!!

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:49:29 AM »
Wild boars do have a nasty side. I started hunting them with a shot gun. Problem was the shield on the bit boys. This shield, on the shoulder area, can be a couple of inches thick. Often it stops most of the pellets from a shot gun. These dudes have big, very sharp, teeth; and they know how to use them. And, to make things worse, they are really not happy campers when you shoot them. After being charged a couple of times, I decided a different weapon system was called for. I decided on a 45/70. This beast does not play any games. A 45/70 will go through a half dozen shields. It drops them.   Bob 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-