Author Topic: need help Fluke fishing  (Read 3640 times)

Offline jjsfishingbuddy

• Full Member of the Den
  • Love fishing with my kids
need help Fluke fishing
« on: August 01, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »
 This is my first post. My son and I are going to IBSP on Friday afternoon for the first time and are going to try our hands at catching Fluke. We are new to surf fishing and any advice would be great. I picked up some bucktail jigs. Do I need to add bait and or weight? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Keep your hooks in the water and your bait fresh.

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Re: need help Fluke fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:15:04 AM »
 There are guys here that know alot more about surf fishing than I do. Weight depends on conditions. Bait, squid, gulp, killies and spearing. Other guys will add to this during the day.  slt

Offline NJ Guy

• AKA "Virgina Beach Guy"
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:19:31 AM »
<<< Also not the most knowledgable surf guy but i would suggest trying the inlet at the end of ibsp and bring some heavier weights in case the current is ripping...Bait gulp just keep trying different things til they start hitting. Rod has some really nice Rigs on his tackle website they are a great place to start.

good luck and tight lines
270 AmberJack "Sweet Emocean"

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:38:12 AM »
explain to me what set up are you planning on using?

there are several methods you can do.

Offline SurfJockey

• Super Hero Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:56:40 AM »
From the surf, I use a teaser rig, with a bucktail at the end.  Size/weight of the bucktail will depend on how big the surf is.  I will tip the hook on the bucktail and my teaser hook with a piece of Gulp or squid.  Cast it out, and use a  SLOW retrieve, bouncing off the bottom gently.  Work it right to your feet.  I caught 2 of my 3 the other day right in the wash.  All the fluke I beached were caught on the teaser.  Hope this helps.  Let us know how you do.   t^

Good luck!
IBSP #1-4150 NJBBA #4753 - Red 2007 Ford Explorer Sport-Trac

Offline jjsfishingbuddy

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »
Joe,

I picked up some bucktails that other day that I plan on trying. I am open to all other ways. What Lb line should I be using? The reel I have came pre spun with 14.

Offline surfluke

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:22:46 PM »
i fish LBI surf for fluke nearly daily
i use 15lb. mono on a 6500 ambas. 8'9" extra fast magnum taper rod
use a #2 mustad 37160 wide gap hook dressed with a buctail slider covered by a 3 1/2" rubber squid body add a clevis with spinner blade up front with enough beads so it swings properly on a 30 lb leader 14-16"long, tip the hook with a strip of squid attach via 3 way swivel and weight to match rod.
slow retrieve and work it to edge of beach ....majority of hits come in trough at your feet.
bucktails will work(tipw/ squid or rubber tail) as well just try to use the smallest hook you can.....u will still catch the keepers on a smaller hook but will miss some smaller ones that could mean the difference between a good day catching or a frustrating day. Outgoing tide seems best for me but should be able to catch anytime, keep moving and find the cuts between bars and deep troughs keep off the tops of bars fish the edges around them.
good luck and enjoy. any questions get back to me
is it fall yet?

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 03:21:09 PM »
Jason nailed it t^

Offline Tacklebox Joe

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »
Jason nailed it t^

whs...that's the most simple rig and method.

Offline jjsfishingbuddy

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 09:45:23 PM »
surfluke, thanks for the tip. A little over my head but will research. Thanks again.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 10:22:31 PM »
All good stuff. t^  As new member Surfluke said, "... majority of hits come in trough at your feet."

I haven't done it in a while.  However, my best success with fluke fishing from the surf came while casting almost parallel to the beach.  In the days before Gulp! a couple of nose-hooked spearing were usually the ticket for me.

Good luck and welcome to both of you! wa

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 12:57:56 PM »
First, welcome to the site.  Fluke fishing is a fun and simple fishing especially with kids.  You do not need any specialized equipment and as Jason has pointed out that most in not all are caught at your feet in the wash.

As far as bucktail weights that really depends on the wave action.  You want the lure to bounce off the bottom as it shows some action.  By tying on a teaser in front of the bucktail can only help with the action. 

A teaser is usually tied with a dropper loop about 18" above the bucktail and can be bought at most B&T's.  A lot of us tie our own but for about 3 bucks you can add to your catching ability.

There are a lot of good places to fish at on IBSP.  If you're walking onto the beach you can pick just about any lot and a short walk will bring you to some good fishing.  There are some spots that are better than others.  If you read some of the helpful hints on here you should do well.  One good read if you have not read so far is how to read the beach.

By being able to ead the water you can add to your fishing ability as far as knowing where the best spots are and do not have to rely on others telling you where to fish.  True the spots may not always hold fish but more than not there will be fish holding around just waiting to be caught.

Good luck on your outing.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-