Author Topic: Boat insurance  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Boat insurance
« on: March 08, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »
I have always used Boat US for my boat insurance and when I was at the boat show this year the guy from Boat US asked me who I used he said that Boat US is always high.

Since the new boat is in I started looking at prices. I compared Boat US to Geico and Geico was $37.00 a year cheaper. Not a big savings.

Who do you use?

Thanks
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Boat insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 11:18:26 AM »
Boat Us.. with the full tackle package.. in case you lose a big fish and throw a $700 set up over board ;D

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 11:49:16 AM »
I just switched everything to Farmers.  House saved $900 cars saved $400 boat saved $400.  Farmers used Formost insurance for the boat and the coverage is awesome . I just did this Friday   t^

Bum ba bum ba bum ba bum

I used Tim Clifton Agency in Matawan

« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:05:31 PM by Hunter 2 »
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 12:17:36 PM »
I had progressive when I bought my boat.  I was paying $1600 if I'm remembering correctly. Never had to make a claim so I don't know how they are on that end but it wasn't a bad price for what I built the coverage out to

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 01:40:35 PM »
Boat US was double for mine. I use Foremost. You can call direct so, you don't need an agent.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 02:47:48 PM »
I'm in good hands with Allstate. I know a lot of people judge "good insurance" by the annual premium for the coverage selected, but collecting on claims if ever needed, is why we have insurance in the first place.

As far as claims go, I filed one through my homeowners for roof damage from a storm, I got both layers stripped off and a new roof installed without a problem.

My boating accident fiasco, they have been covering all medical expenses 100%. I's been so smooth that even the representative for the company that supplied my magic bone growth simulator asked who I had, as she never dealt with an insurance company so easily. The people at psychical therapy said they never seen so many visits approved without a problem. I was told that Geico is the worst, that they cut people off before they are properly healed. It will be hard to convince me to change.

I do use Boat US for my on the water towing insurance. I seen them in action the day someone who had them wrapped my anchor line around their props and was impressed so much that I switched from Tow Boat. Not to say that Tow Boat is bad, I used them for a tow when I lost a fuel pump and have no complaints other than the response time.   
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 03:16:07 PM »
What ever company you go with make sure they provide coverage for oil/fuel spills, salvage, etc. Also make sure of the value they are insuring. 

Compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges when shopping for insurance. The cheapest ones are cheap for a reason. Make sure that reason is not because it is for poor/low coverage.

That being said, I have Boat US and have filed a claim for a lower unit on my outboard and some transom repair after I hit a semi-submerged piling. The only thing they asked from me was to send them an email with a picture of the damage. They cut a check immediately no questions asked. Never even sent an adjuster out to look at the boat.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 04:55:36 PM »
Yes.. good point Joe..  I have a Policy with an "Agreed Value"  Meaning if I lose the boat.. I get a flat sum..

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 05:02:58 PM »
Agreed value is important,   I have Boat US for towing and have used them too.  They are great for towing.   Last season when I had a hydrolic steering leak offshore and lost all steering I requested they meet me in Keyport to assist getting into the slip. I was able to steer the boat with the twin screws. The Boat US Captain said he would meet me by the candlesticks at Sandy Hook and followed us to Keyport and helped us dock in the strong current. t^
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:04:41 PM by Hunter 2 »
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 05:27:14 PM »
I had Foremost once and forget what the problem was but I wasn't covered on tidal waters. I don't remember if it was them or something the agent set up. I remember him telling me I was covered anywhere in the world but when I called them that wasn't the case. That's when I went with boat us.
I'm not a fan of GEICO, so looks like I will go with boat us. I also have them for the towing and I know a guy who lost his rod and they paid for it no problem.

Thanks guys  t^

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 06:37:57 PM »
Boat Us also has A W.O.B -10 Program...

If your Wife Goes Over Board. they will find you a replacement 10 years newer..  You can get the 20 year newer.  but that's a larger deductible.. ;D

And my policy covers all wives that are aboard..  you don't have to be there..
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:42:16 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 06:44:26 PM »
 rofla

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2015, 07:12:17 PM »
Nice coverage.
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-