Author Topic: Point Pleasant Canal 5/25  (Read 3275 times)

Offline wink_man

Point Pleasant Canal 5/25
« on: May 25, 2008, 11:21:12 AM »
Hit the north end of the canal this morning looking for a striper about 5:20AM. Birds were going nuts at the mouth of the canal by the river, I'm sure working on top of blues, so I headed south towards the 88 bridge. No stripers, but did get a hit from one on a Fin-s, knew it was a striper, cause it was a new fin-s and it wasn't slashed up. Blues then became just annoying enough to make me leave there at about 7:30. Went to the mouth of the canal and cast an ava 17 with a green tail. All the blues you could possibly want(or not want), every cast. Fishing then died on dead water, should start back up again shortly with the incoming tide. Lots of rainfish and spearing in the water now, and the bluefish are so annoying it's difficult to catch anything else.

I don't want to see any more yellow or blue this year, I've had more than my fill of them. If I must, I'd want to see white, with stripes, or more preferably, green, with spots and bright orange fins, but thats not happenning yet.

Boys want to go back late this afternoon and liveline herring, they have about a dozen. Perfect tide for it about an hour before dusk to after dark. Hopefully all the out of towner boats will be in early for barbecues and the water will be quiet. I'll check back later if we go and if we do anything.

Garry 

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
Re: Point Pleasant Canal 5/25
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 01:22:43 PM »
good luck later,hope you get into the Bass.
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 02:41:08 PM »
Good Luck  slt
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 06:21:18 PM »
Nice report Garry, good luck this afternoon.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline wink_man

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 10:01:46 PM »
I hit the canal about 5:30PM, water was really moving to fast to fish effectively, but I was jigging the Fin_S anyways, with no results. Son got out of work at 6:30, met me there about 7PM with the herring, however, the bucket was to small and 3 were dying. He took the good one, and I tried reviving the best of the other 3. The water was really to fast yet to fish herring effectively, but I told him to go to this spot where the canal curves right, and there's an eddy created on the outgoing tide that bass often sit in, it's about 200 yards from where I was. I have an old friend about 77 who fishes this spot and takes a lot of bass on plastic shad there, it's very close to the road, and therefore convenient for him, nevertheless, a real good spot.
     So I'm trying to revive this herring, and I get a call on my cell phone saying 'Dad bring the net, run, I've been yelling for you', LMAO. So I run down there with the net. He was using a very light 6 foot freshwater rod, custom built on a Loomis blank, by a very talented rodmaker who is now deceased. The rod is special, because it's been sitting in my closet since the early 90's (unused), and I gave it to him for Christmas, along with a matching Penn reel. Anyways, to get to the point of this matter, he had that herring in the water for about 10 minutes, and this striper nailed it, on a tide that was really to fast, on a day there was way to much boat traffic, etc., etc. Herring are like candy to these stripers in the canal, they can't seem to resist them, no matter what the conditions.
34 inches long, don't know the weight because the battery is dead on my scale, but nevertheless, a beautiful fish taken on very light tackle in fast moving water. The boy learned his lessons well.

Garry

Son left with the fish for his girlfriends house as soon as he caught it, but he did pick up a battery on the way there, so I'll weigh the fish when he gets home with it. I truely hate to estimate weight, would rather weigh it so there's no guessing.

*** Fish was 13 pounds 2 ounces.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 12:22:02 AM by wink_man »

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 10:05:59 PM »
Nice  t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 11:02:03 PM »
Good job.
NETTTTTTTTTTTT!!! TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Online Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 11:26:30 PM »
Ah..  great Work !!

Offline mgm

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 08:51:21 AM »
Wink_man knows the canal!
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline jmd41

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 10:00:31 AM »
 t^
Jim

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 10:04:41 AM »
 cfzd  Way to go.  That had to have many an angler jealous that day what a nice fish.  Tell your son congratulations on a nice catch for me... TT^

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 11:17:30 PM »
cfzd  Way to go.  That had to have many an angler jealous that day what a nice fish.  Tell your son congratulations on a nice catch for me... TT^

Happy Catching

Paul
whs
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 10:53:29 PM »
nice fish

good reports thanks!  t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-