Author Topic: Yet another new member  (Read 2944 times)

Offline tabasco_joe

• Full Member of the Den
Yet another new member
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:45:09 AM »
I'm a long time fresh water fisherman from Bucks Cnty PA.  30 years of bass fishing and about 5 for trout on the fly.  Own a 17 foot Alumacraft that gets to see many of the PA lakes. 

While I have camped at Assateague for many years I have never wet a line in salt water.  While planning a vacation this summer that will have me spending time on the Rhode Island coast and another week on the Maine coast I got the idea to try surf fishing.  After reading several books and browsing WEB sites I'm developing a stronger interest in getting out to give it a shot.

After reading up on all the great resourses in Jersey I'm even more excited to get out, probably this weekend.  I don't have any particular species in mind, just ge tout and learn a bit.  Any suggestions on locations and equipment are appreciated.

SteveF (My kids call me Tabasco Joe cause I put hot sauce on everything.  It's also the name of my boat.)

Offline Flukedood

Re: Yet another new member
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:48:57 AM »
Hi Joe. welcome to the site. I'm sure you will get plenty of help form the guys here.. ;D
I spend 90% of my time fishing, The rest I just waste..

Offline Capt. Ed

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:16:53 AM »
Hi Tabasco_Joe,

Welcome!

Well, you are picking a great time to come over to the Atlantic side of the state to fish.

In southern and central NJ, there are Striped Bass coming into the area from the south (from the Dealware River and Chesapeake Bay).

In the Raritan and Sandy Hook Bays, there are Striped Bass coming down from their spawn in the upper Hudson River.

The bluefish have come back, up and down the entire coastline from the south.

The weakfish are in the estuaries spawning.

The Winter Flounder are migrating out put you can still put a decent catch together.

Do you want to fish from the surf or a Party boat?

The sure bet is bluefish on a Party Boat, especially out of Pt. Pleasant these days.

If you want to fish from the surf, the area just north of Island Beach State Park (Mantoloking to the Seasides) was off the hook before the cold front came through. I am sure it will continue again.

The gear you use will depend on where you fish. If you do not have any gear, I can suggest a fairly low cost, high quality solution.

Just start a thread in "Helping Each Other Out" or send me an email.

Once again, welcome!

Capt. Ed

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 09:28:58 AM »
Hi Tabasco_Joe,

Welcome Aboard Steve F.,  I know I posted you before but I will say hi once again.  I guess Ed covered pretty much in his welcome.  If you get down to the Ocean County area give me a call I am in the Contacts Forum maybe we can link up and go out to IBSP.  I have plenty of gear so that is not a problem.  If you have new gear you want to try bring it along there is plenty of room in the rod rack.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 09:34:05 AM »
Joe,
Welcome to the site.  Just be forwarned.  Once you catch off the surf you will be addicted for life.  But, that's not necessarily a bad thing.   t^

Joe
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 10:08:31 AM »
welcome to the site

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 10:27:38 AM »
nice to have you.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline tabasco_joe

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 11:56:35 AM »
Thanks  for the warm welcome!
Ed, my thoughts are to try the surf, that way I can move at my own pace.  I like to explore a little and IBSP sounds like a good place to start.
Irish, I've found most types of fishing to become addictive.  There are constant challanges that none of us ever completely master.
PED, Thanks for the invite. 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-