Author Topic: Seismic survey off Jersey coast  (Read 7141 times)

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
Seismic survey off Jersey coast
« on: April 09, 2014, 04:44:31 AM »
What effect will this have on fishing??
Complete article here.
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2014/03/17/2014-05553/takes-of-marine-mammals-incidental-to-specified-activities-marine-geophysical-survey-in-the#h-24

On December 17, 2013, NMFS received an application from the Observatory requesting that we issue an Authorization for the take of marine mammals, incidental to conducting a seismic survey in the northwest Atlantic Ocean June through July, 2014. NMFS determined the application complete and adequate on February 3, 2014.
The Observatory proposes to conduct a high-energy, 3-dimensional (3-D) seismic survey on the R/V Langseth in the northwest Atlantic Ocean approximately 25 to 85 kilometers (km) (15.5 to 52.8 miles (mi)) off the New Jersey coast for approximately 32 days from June 3 to July 9, 2014. The following specific aspect of the proposed activity has the potential to take marine mammals: increased underwater sound generated during the operation of the seismic airgun arrays. Thus, we anticipate that take, by Level B harassment only, of 26 species of marine mammals could result from the specified activity.

Online Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: Seismic survey off Jersey coast
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 05:37:10 AM »
Thanks for the info. Too bad they don't do the survey in the winter..
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:09:58 PM »
Can someone explain this to me...I don't understand what or why they are doing what ever it is they are?  5hrug 

AND How can it be ok to do what ever this is that they are proposing to do when it will mess with '26 different species of marine mammals during the specified activity'!  fngr

Offline MJ619

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »
I propose the following:

After we the PUBLIC provides a notice of a proposed authorization to the public for review and comment: (1) The PUBLIC makes certain findings; and (2) the taking is limited to harassment to the NMFS and those government officials involved making these such decisions that make no sense! 

Mike

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »
I know we're all a feeling a little snakebit towards the federalies these days.. but this seems fairly harmless to me.. They are doing acoustic surveys.. so basically a boat out there firing Hi-powered sonar signals.. I guess there is a chance that the noise messes with the sonar abilities of whales and dolphins, etc. but I don't think there is any great threat.. certainly not to fish or fishing.. I'm guessing the "take" (kill) terminology, is there in compliance with the gov't "cover your behind" policy in the event there is any tangible impact on marine life.. But I think we are talking about  annoying("harassing") critters, rather than killing them... knowing the public sentiments towards marine mammals these days, I doubt there would be any great risk taken with a scientific survey with no obvious monetary gain at stake... unless of course they are looking for gold or oil.. if so, watch out Flipper!  ;D   chrz

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 01:25:09 PM »
 After reading the proposal, I came to the same conclusion Mark.  Nice explanation. t^

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 01:43:17 PM »
THANK YOU BUBBA!!!!!!!  msfsh

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 09:39:56 PM »
It's a shame it won't take a few Dogfish and Skates ;D
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 09:52:11 AM »
 nts...What for...Oil fracking... 5hrug
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 12:33:26 PM »
"The purpose of the survey is to collect and analyze data on the arrangement of sediments deposited during times of changing global sea level from roughly 60 million years ago to present. The 3-D survey would investigate features such as river valleys cut into coastal plain sediments now buried under a kilometer of younger sediment and flooded by today's ocean."

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 12:42:21 PM »
"The purpose of the survey is to collect and analyze data on the arrangement of sediments deposited during times of changing global sea level from roughly 60 million years ago to present. The 3-D survey would investigate features such as river valleys cut into coastal plain sediments now buried under a kilometer of younger sediment and flooded by today's ocean."

And it will benefit the oil industry, who tried to do this study only a few short years ago. Looks like an end around play by the oil industry to me.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2014/05/ocean_advocates_businesses_launch_last-ditch_effort_to_halt_seismic_testing.html#incart_river

POINT PLEASANT BEACH – For some shore communities, Friday marked the beginning of tourism season, but ocean advocates are using the holiday weekend to launch an effort to prevent a Rutgers University study they say will harm marine life.

U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone joined leaders of environmental groups and maritime businesses at the Fisherman’s Dock Cooperative in Point Pleasant Beach to announce a campaign to stop seismic airgun testing off the Jersey Shore.

“Once you get this done, the oil and natural gas companies will use it to justify drilling,” Pallone (D-6th) said. “This is a slippery slope.”

The studies, which have been endorsed by the U.S. Department of the Interior, are slated to begin as early as June 3.

The study’s National Science Foundation grant application claims it is to research historic changes in sea level rise, but admits that the data could be used by the petroleum industry.

Jimmy Lovgren, spokesman for the Fisherman’s Dock Cooperative, said the Rutgers study is an attempt to reopen the New Jersey coast to oil and natural gas exploration.

“Two years ago the oil industry proposed seismic testing for oil,” Lovgren said. “Commercial, recreational and environmental groups came together, we fought this, and won… we don’t want BP looking off the Jersey Shore, but that is what we’re looking at.”

An online petition campaign has started urging Rutgers to stop the study, Clean Ocean Action Executive Director Cindy Zipf said.

“We’ve already had 14,000 signatures in ten to 12 days,” Zipf said. “We’re hoping to stop this before it starts.”

Pallone said the study is affecting his relationship with his alma mater.

“I’m very disappointed in my own state university,” Pallone said. “”Rutgers should be environmentally responsible and safe, I fault them in not doing that. We have to call out Rutgers.”

A report by the American Petroleum institute, an oil industry advocate, argues that the testing is safe, heavily regulated and planned to impose minimal impact on wildlife. The institute claims that current estimates of the volume of oil and natural gas deposits off the Atlantic coast are no longer accurate.

But Raymond Bogan, attorney for the Recreational Fishing Alliance, said airgun testing could harm the region’s fishery, which is still recovering from decades of pollution.

"We have a very viable shellfishery in the state of New Jersey," Bogan said. "Very, very substantial and very, very important. To the extent that that could be impacted a scintilla is sinful… don’t kick an entity when it is down."

Anglers and commercial fishermen argued that the federal government, which provided the study a ‘Marine Harassment Permit’ allowing it to disrupt or kill marine species with the sound waves, was applying a double standard.

“If a commercial fishery catches a few whales or dolphins, the fishery is shut down,” Lovgren said.

Any harm to the fishery would hurt a commercial and recreational fishing industry that is a long way from coming back, Tom Fote, legislative operations manager of the Jersey Coast Anglers Association, said.

“We’re 70,000 boats down from 2012,” Fote said. “Our party and charter boats are down, too. 2012 was a bad year and we had 5.2 million trips, last year we had 3.2 million trips. We’re suffering in this industry – what is the seismic blasting going to do?”

Under the plan, a boat, the Marcus Langseth, would be used to conduct the study, which involves blasting sound waves louder than a jet plane at takeoff towards the sea floor at 5-second intervals.

“They want to blast every five seconds, 24 hours a day, seven days a week for 30 days,” Zipf said. The testing would occur over 230 square miles of ocean near Barnegat Bay.

Pallone and the gathered crowd shielded their ears – or wore ear plugs – as the sounds of seismic testing were played over a public address system.

“There are 25 species of marine mammal that are found in the study area,” Zipf said. “We should celebrate and protect them at all costs.”
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 02:04:02 PM »
Good info. t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-