Author Topic: $85 Million for Fisheries Industry  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
$85 Million for Fisheries Industry
« on: December 12, 2008, 12:17:28 PM »
Shelby Announces $85 Million for Fisheries Industry `
September 27, 2008 - Washington, D.C.

U.S. Senator Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), ranking member of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice and Science, today announced that $85 million will be included in the Consolidated Security, Disaster Assistance, and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2009 to aid the struggling fishing industry around the nation. Following today’s action by the Senate, this bill will go to the President for his signature.

“As a result of the volatile hurricanes that continue to plague the Gulf Coast, Alabama fisheries have taken a significant economic and ecological hit,” said Shelby. “These unpredictable weather events, compounded with high fuel prices and increased restrictions on the fisheries, culminate in shrimpers and fishermen who are struggling to stay in business. This funding will provide much needed assistance to an industry that is a vital part of the Alabama economy.”

These funds may be used to alleviate expenses related to fishery failures, fishery resource disasters and regulations on the fishing industry for declared disaster areas across the country.

Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: $85 Million for Fisheries Industry
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 01:38:04 PM »
About time we see some funding for this!

TT^

Offline mgm

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 02:48:23 PM »
Hmmmmm.....Shelby says it's OK to bankrupt the auto industry, but the fishing industry off of his home state receives a few bucks from Uncle Sam!
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 02:58:08 PM »
Hmmmmm.....Shelby says it's OK to bankrupt the auto industry, but the fishing industry off of his home state receives a few bucks from Uncle Sam!
EXACTLY MY POINT OF THE TREAD.  Yes, I do care about the fishing industry, but shouldn't other things, like the economy come first.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 07:25:57 PM »
EXACTLY MY POINT OF THE TREAD.  Yes, I do care about the fishing industry, but shouldn't other things, like the economy come first.

The fishing industry does affect the economy...just like the banks, the Automobile Companies, etc...

I am sure the Auto Manufacturers will get the assistance they need!  I wish the government would bail me out too!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »
The government (politicians) would not consider bailing out the little guy. The little guy has nothing the government (politician) can use, except for one measley vote.

Now, you talk about big business...they are the ones that can do something for the politician. Can make life very nice for them with their 'political contributions', consulting fees after they are out of office, jobs, etc.

THAT, my friends, is why the government will bail out the banks, mortgage companies, etc. And not give one hoot about us.  >:(
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 01:15:09 AM »
I think we need a Boston Sea Party.  Maybe the partial loss of the 8 billion dollar pie might wake up some of the states politicians.  If not they are not worth having in office. 
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 08:16:15 AM »
Well Said Joe!!

All you have to do with politicians is follow the money. It's that simple. The are all in the re-election business. I trust them as far as I can throw them....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 08:18:13 AM by Kenny »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-