Author Topic: Point Pleasant Canal 5/29  (Read 1409 times)

Offline wink_man

Point Pleasant Canal 5/29
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:37:53 PM »
Attempted to fish the canal early this morning, the tide was right. Alarm went off at 4AM, and I said let me rest my eyes a minute, and the rest is history.

So I went down there late this afternoon, about 5:30, and fished till dark on the last tide of the day. No fish with stripes, and no fish with orange fins, just those freaking fish that are blue, with yellow eyes, and they had a field day with my fin-s lures. Blasted blues were hitting it on the drop, and just biting them in half. I'd cast, feel a bump, and say to my self I couldn't have gotten to the bottom that quick, reel it in, and half the fin-s gone, went through about a dozen of em. Did land a few bluefish in the process however, but I was trying to avoid them.

Another mistake I made, was I caught a larger blue, about 8 pounds, and couldn't hoist him over the fence with my light rod. I wasn't about to use my net on a bluefish, so I figuered let me grab the 15 pound power pro braid with one hand, I can lift a little then grab the 20 LB mono leader. It will work fine, but if the fish decides to shake his head, the braid cuts through your finger like a knife, trust me on this, don't do it.

I was fishing closer to the 88 bridge tonight, as I've been getting stripers there, and avoiding the blues pretty good(till tonight), so at dark, I walked down to the mouth of the canal, blues were breaking on the surface all over the place, only 4 guys fishing(and catching them). I took one cast with metal, and got a wind knot(first time I was ever thankful for a wind knot), and got out of there.

Garry

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
Re: Point Pleasant Canal 5/29
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 11:14:22 PM »
i keep a 3/4 dowel on board for the aforementioned braid hauls  t^

used to use braid to cut thru urethane rubber holding in car windshields thats way tougher than flesh

but i don't need to tell you that

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 12:17:52 PM »
Good  try Garry.. I think we all learn our lessons with braid the hard way.. Even after we learn, the occasional brainfart comes into play and we pay for it in blood.. Hopefully it doesn't interfere too much with your fishing  TT^

Offline jmd41

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:29:37 PM »
OUCH!!!

Sorry about that Gary, and I know how much you love bluefish  >:D
Jim

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 06:01:57 PM »
Good try Garry, hopefully, one day, the weakies will show up.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline wink_man

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 09:42:49 PM »
Good try Garry, hopefully, one day, the weakies will show up.  TT^

I am starting to forget what a weakie looks like. I've been looking for them in the canal and river since April 15th, and still don't have a confirmed catch of a weakie there. I heard one rumor of one caught at the south end, by the condos, but I don't believe it, because the fish has varied from 6 to 14 pounds, depending on who's telling the story. I know quite a few guys that fish the canal on a daily basis, and everyone I know thats 'in the know', hasn't heard of a weakie caught there yet.

I would imagine there are a few around, but they are indeed scarce if they are. I've heard that the gill netters had a field day with them outside of the inlet, but don't know if thats fact or not, or if it is true, if that has contributed to the reason they aren't around. I'll keep looking for them.

Garry

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-